“Fantastic venue for a special celebration” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millstone at Mellor

Millstone at Mellor
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Blackburn
Blackburn
“Fantastic venue for a special celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just spent a wonderful afternoon at The Millstone celebrating a family birthday! There were thirty plus guests ranging from 85 to 2 weeks old and everyone was catered for perfectly. Even though there were so many of us to serve the food was faultless and the staff were wonderful. Would not hesitate to book the Millstone for any occasion in the future!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael R
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. It really pleases me to see that your celebration was such a success and that you enjoyed both the food and service so much. I very much hope that we can welcome you back for another occasion in the near future.

Kind regards,
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We have dined out for Christmas Day lunch for the last 14 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. Being quite keen home cooks and home bakers it is difficult to find an establishment that will provide exactly the high standards one would expect when dining out. But dining out on Christmas Day has become a great tradition of ours that we will continue forevermore and having chosen the Millstone at Mellor again to celebrate such we were not disappointed.

From the moment you step into the bar area it feels special with a warm reception from the lovely staff and the wonderful atmosphere not to mention the award winning ales and a good selection of carefully selected wines to choose from. Despite a very busy bar we were greeted with our chosen choice of drink and guided through to the wonderfully refurbished dining room. The Chef Patron Anson Bolton personally ensured that all I had preordered on the menu was free from wheat, gluten and yeast as I have special dietary requirements, nothing I requested was too much trouble which lead to a very relaxing meal indeed. From the canapés right through to my specially prepared dessert we enjoyed each delicious mouthwatering course.

The service was superb, friendly and as always very discreet when it comes my my dietary needs (we've dined often at many high ranked hotels and restaurants all over the UK whereupon unfortunately this has not always been the case and such a fuss has been made that it has guaranteed we would never return despite all else being delightful).

However we now tend to stay or dine with only the hotels and restaurants that know exactly what they are doing without question and whom provide the best quality local, seasonal food with the highest standards of service and the Millstone is ranked very high on the list as one of our most favourite establishments.

Thus we commend Anson and his team for yet again a truly magnificent and thoroughly enjoyable time at the Millstone at Mellor and for making our Christmas Day ever so special.

We would recommend you to all and very much look forward to our return.

Regards,
Sara Louise Morris

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Millstone M, General Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Its always a pleasure & many thanks for your glowing feedback.

Hope to see you soon

Kind Regards

Anson & The Team
Maidenhead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed in a twin room, three nights b&b and one evening meal. A few small details away from excellent : Room was clean, quiet and tidy (bathroom immaculate), if slightly small, given two rather large upholstered chairs. Bulb missing in a bedside light when we arrived - quickly remedied, but why not noticed when the room was made up?. A halogen light fitting in the bathroom, however, had been disconnected, presumably for safety reasons and remained so during our stay. One day housekeeping failed to notice our tea mugs had been used - so we rinsed them out ourselves. A small thing, but excellence requires perfection. On two mornings the service at breakfast was smooth and friendly, on the other, which was admittedly very busy, there was a lack of supervision resulting in slow service and the buffet table running out of crockery and fruit salad. Our evening meal was excellent. Friendly service, food cooked to order, lovely atmosphere. So all in all, a place we would gladly recommend, but if the small details were given just a little more attention, one which we would rate as excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was in an annex across the car park, which probably meant that it was quieter than ones in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback we're really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I've noted your comments and thank you for bringing these to my attention.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future and can assure you we'll be pushing for an "excellent" from you on your next visit.
Kind Regards
Anson Bolton
Chef Patron
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was the fourth year that I had spent Christmas at the Millstone whilst visiting a relative in Blackburn. We had dinner on Christmas Eve and lunch on Christmas Day and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and beautifully presented for both of the meals, and the staff were delightful and they were so accommodating about special diets. I can confidently say from past experience that there is nowhere in Blackburn that would do better. I am clearly not alone in taking that view, as the restaurant gets booked up weeks in advance because people vote with their feet. It was a perfect Christmas.
During the year, I travel widely around the world and stay in many good hotels but I think Anson Bolton could teach many of them a few things about good food and how to cook it and present it imaginatively.
I stayed for two nights and I had a very comfortable room with everything I needed. The breakfast was also excellent (I chose lovely poached egg on poached fish which was cooked to perfection), and the yoghurt was so delicious that I checked the label - it was sourced locally in the Ribble Valley (Ann Forshaw I think - full marks to her too). On departure, I booked for next year - and for Easter - I think that speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Whether or not you stay overnight, the restaurant is a must. You will want to come back time and ti...
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A big thank you for choosing the Millstone to spend your Christmas, we're really glad you enjoyed your stay with us & look forward to welcoming you back at Easter when hopefully the weather will be a little warmer!
Kind regards
Anson & The Team
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

The family Christmas meal is something of a tradition for my wife's family now but as the family grows the event gets bigger and bigger!!! but once agan the Millstone ensured we had a brilliant evening. With 21 members of the family taking part in the Xmas celebrations and we had a fabulous time. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff they even had a good laugh with us when the "Reeve" side of the family started the Christmas Cracker battle... The food was excellent as hot!. We will return again as we often do on a regular basis. I expect my wife will be rebooking very shortly for Christmas 2014! Finally thank you everyone at the Millstone for a great night! Cheers to you all! - Nigel x

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Many thanks for your great feedback, it’s always nice to know that the quality our food is consistent & staff love nothing more than to join in with Christmas crackers wars! Have a great Christmas & we look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Kind regards,
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We visited the Millstone for a family Christmas meal and had a brilliant evening. There was a large number (21) of us in the top room and we had a blast. The food was delicious as always and the staff were really polite and friendly. The atmosphere is great and we return on a regular basis. I would highly recommend a visit to the Millstone for anyone in the area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Many thanks for your glowing review, such feedback really does motivate the team especially at this time of year when we’re so busy. Not sure if you follow us on twitter @MillstoneMellor or like us on Facebook as we regularly keep our guests posted on what happening throughout the year.

Have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the the Millstone
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on 7th December after being at a wedding at nearby Hoghton Tower. There were a good few in the wedding party that had also booked at the Millstone.

We arrived not long after midnight and were able to check in at that time with no fuss as the bride had called ahead. However we had been advised that bacon butties would be available but when we asked for food, we were told everything in the kitchen had been switched off.

On going up to our room, we were met by a wall of stifling heat and immediately had to open the window to make the room barely liveable. The room was much smaller than I'd expect when paying £105 per night, however the bathroom was a good size and with modern decor.

Unfortunately there were no towels in our room so at close to 1am I had to go back to reception and request that some were brought to the room. This was done speedily but it was disappointing that they weren't readily available.

The noise as other guests made their way through the hotel was loud and intrusive and didn't lend itself to a restful nights sleep.

3 of us went for breakfast together at 9:30 and our orders were quickly taken, however the selection on the "serve yourself" continental breakfast table was poorly replenished and when my friend took the last available croissant, no more were brought out. When our toast order arrived, me having ordered white and my two friends having ordered brown, I received two full rounds, yet they were presented with half a round each. Despite this, the full cooked breakfasts we ordered were tasty and enjoyable (apart from the veggie sausages!) however I'd be reluctant to pay the price advertised if you were buying breakfast separately.

Despite our stay at the Millstone only being a short one, I feel that I saw enough to be able to say that I will not be spending £105 again at Millstone at Mellor.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback. It sounds like a fantastic wedding you attended as many guests were in good spirits on their return. I apologise for the shortfall in our housekeeping and I’ve mentioned this oversight to our housekeeping team.

It would appear we got our wires crossed with the bride as we do offer “Bacon Butties” to guests arriving back from such venues, but as we don’t offer 24 hour room service we do ask that “bacon butties” are pre ordered, however it was pleasing to note that the team on duty were able to offer cold sandwiches.

Breakfast can be a little hectic on a Sunday mornings & I apologise for the buffet not being replenished quickly enough, I was surprised by your feedback on our vegetarian sausages as we have had many favourable comments about them.

The room you stayed in has recently been refurbished and I believe a bed and breakfast rate of £105 per couple represents good value compared to similar hotels within the area.

Given the length of your stay I do find your comments a little unfair though I’m sincerely sorry that you left the Millstone feeling the way you did.

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Good Night Inns Boddington Arms Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Been to Millstone at Mellor? Share your experiences!