“Little gem.....”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Blackburn
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Little gem.....”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel is approx. 20-30 minutes from the M6 J31, situated on the main road in the village of Mellor. This road did not get too much traffic and is therefore not very noisy.

The main building hosts the reception, bar, restaurant and guest rooms with an annex building known as "The Courtyard" across the car park containing 6 additional rooms. Free parking is available for all hotel & restaurant guests so spaces can be limited at busy times. The front patio area offers use of wooden tables & benches for patrons.

Check in after 2pm was efficient and the staff very friendly & polite. The décor was in keeping with the style of building and was well maintained.

Room 232 in the annex was on the ground floor and was compact but provided all the facilities you would require: free Wi-Fi, satellite TV, clock / radio alarm, DAB radio, hairdryer, tea / coffee tray, trouser press, iron & board,complimentary mineral water & local baked biscuits. The bathroom was spacious and light with Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries for guest use.

Breakfast is served from 7 - 10am in the restaurant, which offers a good selection of hot / cold food which is well presented and very good quality. Lunch & dinner menus are comprehensive with a great wine & local ale selection for the discerning drinker. Speciality / in season, local dishes are available as additional choices to the main menu. The food was excellent, well presented and served promptly. The table service was very efficient & again the staff were all very friendly.

This was a great little hotel that provided excellent, very friendly service, quality of food and made a business trip very pleasant! If I had one comment to make on an minor improvement, it would be to oil the creaky doors in the annex to prevent guests making noise (even if they try not to) when entering / leaving the rooms and building.

I still thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I’m really glad you enjoyed your stay and got chance to dine in our restaurant. Thanks for bringing the creaky doors to our attention, I’ll get Maintenance to oil the doors and your next visit will be a quitter one! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at The Millstone.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Hurst Green, Lancashire
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal for the first time here on a friends recommendation and we were not disappointed. The quality was excellent and there was lots to chose from. The service was good too. Very strongly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Chris G
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I’m really glad to read that you enjoyed your meal here and that we came recommended. We change our menu seasonally and have weekly and daily specials so there’s always something new on offer so I hope you’ll choose to dine with us again soon.

Rochdale
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at the Millstone for 1 night whilst attending a wine tasting at another venue in the village.

Upon arrival I have to say I was a little disappointed with the room, I was staying in another building across the car park and found this a little awkward but also felt the room had seen better days. The room was just a little rough round the edges and didn't feel like value for money.

I ordered some food and drink to my room and was really shocked at the standard of food (they also forgot my drink and I had to re-order). Although it was just a snack it was badly presented, overcooked and really salty.

Following my evening out I had a good nights sleep as the bed was really comfortable and then was forced to change my opinion on the overall experience at The Millstone when I went for breakfast. The service and the food was exceptional and I had to conclude that maybe the food the day before was just a blip.

This isn't a cheap choice but maybe choosing the right room would make a difference. I will consider again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MysteryGuestRochdale
I am very disappointed to read your review as it definitely doesn’t describe the high standards we strive for, so please accept my apologies for the food and room quality. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment program and all of our rooms are included in this.

Next time you come to stay please do contact me directly on 01254 813333 and I will ensure you are allocated one of our lovely new rooms. I’m glad you enjoyed breakfast and that it helped to restore your faith in what we can do and I really hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Millstone very soon.

Leeds, UK
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We travelled across from God's own county and were not disappointed with the Millstone. Our welcome was warm, friendly and helpful. Our rooms were not quite ready so we had coffee and shortbread whilst we waited. The shortbread was delicious, so the waitress, overhearing our comments, brought us extra ones!

The rooms were clean, well equipped and with a good bathroom and shower. Everything you would expect for a good night sleep. It was a bit hot but we discovered the next morning a radiator on full blast in the entrance. In August!

However, the highlight for our night away was the meal. Everything from the butcher's block to steak and steak and kidney pudding was delicious, beautifully served and with great service even though it was busy. Although it is smile, straightforward food, it somehow was made to look and taste so much better. The waitress recommended curry sauce with the steak and despite reservation, it was a revelation. The test of a good kitchen - my friend has his steak rare, almost blue. That is exactly how it came, having rested so there was no blood. Well done.

Breakfast was again an excellent, locally sourced start to the day. With Clitheroe just a short drive away, I would recommend this hotel to anyone up this way....even though it was on the wrong side of the Pennines.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gnreid
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review. It really pleases me to read that our staff looked after you so well. We feel that the personalities of our staff are fantastic, and we are always working hard to ensure that their service standards match their personalities.

Surrey
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have friends living in the village and knew from a previous visit (when we did not stay) that the food here is excellent. On this occasion we had a very enjoyable two night stay as we were taking a train journey from Blackburn to Carlisle on The Fellsman service.

Room Tip: There is a church clock to the rear of the hotel which acts as a wake-up call every 15 minutes from...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaviscupSurrey
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and I hope you enjoyed the train journey on the Fellsman. Next time you’re visiting your friends I hope you’ll pop in again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on a business trip therefore we didn't pay for the room directly so I can't comment on the price of the room. What I can comment on is that we arrived late, just after the kitchen had closed and the staff were amazing, chef russeled up some sandwiches and some fish and chips for our party. First class service in my opinion. The rooms were very nice spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also very nice with powerful shower. Breakfast was excellent, with all products locally sourced 10 out of 10. Would definitely return.
Thanks wes

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank bagpuss24
It’s always such a boost for the whole team to receive such a glowing review and I’m really pleased you had an enjoyable stay. If you travel on business a lot we are part of a small group called Thwaites Inns of Character and we’re dotted about throughout the country if you’re ever looking for a cosy place to stay whilst away from home.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I came here with my wife for a Sunday evening meal last week. The location of the restaurant and the decor is of a high standard and the food on the menu is of a high quality with plenty to choose from and great portion sizes for good value. We decided not to have the Sunday Roast this time and sample some of the other delights available. The real ale on offer is fabulous and beer connoisseurs will be in their element. The young man behind the bar was very helpful with assisting me with some great choices!
This was our second visit to the Millstone and we will go back again, however one thing that did spoil our evening a little was the service which was no where near up to the standard of our previous visit. Our waitress looked very out of place, was very robotic and lead us to believe we had entered a narcotic induced piercing parlour more than an Award Winning Ribble Valley Pub. Nevertheless, we will be back to the Millstone to sample more of the fantastic cuisine it has to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
It was great to read your review and I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your second visit to The Millstone. We’re really proud of our range of Thwaites beers and that the team were able to help and advise you on your selection – we always feel under pressure as Daniel Thwaites himself is buried in the local church graveyard, so we’re convinced he keeps a beady eye on us and how well we look after the beer!

I am sorry that you felt service this time around wasn’t quite as good as your previous visit, we do have a great team here at The Millstone and I really do hope that you will come back and we can restore your faith in all areas of service.

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at The Millstone.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Astley Bank Hotel
Astley Bank Hotel
#1 of 4 in Darwen

Been to Millstone at Mellor? Share your experiences!