“Hard to beat.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Blackburn
the lakes
“Hard to beat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just stayed for one night at the millstone but were impressed with everything the staff could not of been better and the breakfast was lovely also its makes your stay that bit better when your room is lovely and warm and you have bathrobes for after your shower, one tiny little niggle tea does not taste the same when you dont have any biscuits to nibble.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise for the lack of biscuits with your tea, as we normally serve our Homemade shortbread with Tea and coffee but as it Christmas we’re serving Mince pies instead.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Millstone in the near Future. In the meantime have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind Regards
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron, and all the team at the Millstone at Mellor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

as always i never know what to buy my parents for birthdays and aniversarys so i bought a night at the millstone, four poster bed three course dinnar and a glass of champagne and breakfast. my parents had an amazing time, excellant service, room fantastic, and the food to die for. thank you so much for making my mum and dads evening so special and they are coming back in january for my dads 80th.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Many thanks for your kind comments. On behalf of all the Millstone Team we’re really glad you choose the us to celebrate such a special occasion for your parents. We look forward to welcoming you all back to the Millstone in the near future. In the meantime have a lovely Christmas & a Prosperous New Year

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron, Sarah and all the Millstone Team
Ormskirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked the two night dinner, B&B “hibernation” package as a birthday surprise for my good lady. Hadn't been before but the recommendations seemed OK, so arrived with fingers crossed. The welcome was good and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Anson, the chef patron, did everything to help make our stay special, even though they did have large functions on both nights. I’d booked the four poster room which lived up to expectations. The food was above excellent and reasonably priced, and as we were “all-in” we did expect some limitation to the menu, but there wasn’t which was a pleasant surprise. We will be visiting again and would thoroughly recommend this establishment. Thanks for your help in making it a memorable birthday treat!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
It’s great to hear that we helped you to have an enjoyable birthday. Our dinner, bed and breakfast packages are very popular and we are so proud of our menu that we wouldn’t like to limit what our customers can choose from! We change our menu seasonally so next time you come and stay there will be a whole new range of dishes for you to try.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

No complaints at all. From my booking experience with Tim to arrival and greeting until 'goodbye' with 'would you like coffee while you wait for you car?'..complimentary with a home made biscuit...customer service spot on...made for a really pleasant experience.
10 of us had dinner which was lovely...we sat down at 7.30pm and some of us where still there after midnight and never felt under pressure to buy more drinks or coffee or leave.
My room was smallish but it's an old building so felt cosy. Lovely and warm, clean and very comfortable. Lots of extras in the room, pillows like home...highly recommended. Thanks very much Anton and team. I hope I can return one day.

Room Tip: I had 24 which was perfect for me, just off the dining room - but never heard a thing except church...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is always a great boost for the team when we read a review like yours. Thank you for taking the time to pass on your thoughts and I hope you will return one day, too!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I'm sorry but this was a massive disapointment! Poor service, long wait and uncooked lamb. Yes it may have been an off day but still......I want good service and good food for the good money I pay! Room was ok nothing flash. The shower was terrible! Hot or cold with nothing in between.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. From talking to the team I know we were made aware of your unhappiness with the main course and Maria tried hard to rectify this to your satisfaction on the day. I will ensure the shower in the room you stayed in is checked and any work needed is undertaken.
As you can see by other Tripadvisor comments we do strive to get things right, so we’re all genuinely really disappointed that you left us feeling this way.

Kind Regards
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on Sunday night en route to the Lakes. Being a Sunday we got a good price for B&B. the place was quiet but still enough atmosphere to make it feel comfortable. Our room, in the main building was small but very nicely turned out. Bathrooms a bit old fashioned and could do with a refit, but the shower pressure in the above bath shower was amazingly strong. We opted for a simple bar meal as we'd been over indulging all weekend and what we had was freshly prepared and very nice. Breakfast was lovely, cooked to order and one of the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had! Would definitely return if we are up this way again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. Eggs Benedict has recently been put back onto our breakfast menu and has proven to be a popular addition. I will certainly pass your comments onto Val, our breakfast chef. We are slowly but surely carrying out a refurbishment program in the hotel, the next time you stay if you contact me directly I will make sure you get one of our rooms with a new bathroom.

Otley, West Yorkshire.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Normally when you stay at a pub hotel these days there is an air of decay about the places.. maybe it's me but it is rare to stay at a place that is so well maintained and clean. There was no visible issue with the Millstone.

The staff were friendly and courteous. The food (I had an evening meal and breakfast) was excellent. The simple fact that breakfast was freshly prepared not stacked up under a chafer was brilliant.

My room was really nice - again very well maintained. Even though it was above the bar there was no noise and I had a very good night's sleep.

Recommended!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback. We work hard to ensure that all our public areas and bedrooms are well maintained and kept to the high standards which our guests expect.
I'm also glad that you enjoyed our food especially the breakfast – which as you mentioned is always cooked fresh to order and never left in chafing dishes even at our busiest times. I hope to welcome you back to the Millstone in the future.

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at The Millstone.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Good Night Inns Boddington Arms Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Been to Millstone at Mellor? Share your experiences!