“Bringing life back to Blackburn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blackburn Market

Blackburn Market
Ranked #1 of 3 Shopping in Blackburn
More attraction details
Owner description: Blackburn Market is situated at the heart of Blackburn, Lancashire and is a modern market hall. We still have all the traditional traders you would expect from a market but all undercover. We have a food court, fresh food and non-food stalls and shops. We have toilets, free to use cash machine, baby changing facilities. We are also home to Blackburn Visitor Information Centre and Shopmobility. Lots of available car parks and we are open 6 days a week Monday to Saturday.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bringing life back to Blackburn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I hadn't been to Blackburn for a while and had forgotten that the old market had been replaced. The new market is buzzing in a way that I never saw in the old market. The food court being especially popular, serving pies, Japanese food and everything in between. Loved it. I was sad to see somebody give the place 1 star purely because of seeing a wheelie bin near the food court. Mcdonalds use plastic bins in their food areas and are a recognised and successful international company, but for some reason seeing one in Blackburn market was too much for this person's sensibilities.
I hope the market continues with their current success. Long may this recovery continue.

1 Thank Captainstegs

Blackburn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Blackburn market food court WHEELIE BAD ?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

After shopping in the centre of Blackburn I visited Blackburn Market yesterday (Saturday 1st September)
I entered the market via the escalator which, as you descend gives a full view of the food court area which is surrounded by many different food establishments. Immediately the moment I stepped off the escalator onto the market floor I saw two guys in high visibility jackets dragging a dirty/filthy green wheelie bin around the food court area !
I was shocked and asked one of the ladies on a food stall if this happens every week and I was left even more shocked when I was told that it happens every hour. I told her that in my opinion it was wrong to which she stated "well that is Blackburn with Darwen for you"
I enquired at the visitor/information centre on who deals with hygiene but no one seemed to know. One of the ladies at the visitor/information centre asked if I would like to have a word with the market manager so I took up the offer.
After pointing out that a dirty wheelie bin being dragged round a food court wasn't the best public image to portray and also the health and hygiene implications it was explained to me that the area being a public place collects a lot of rubbish from the public which needs to be removed very often, and that it had been decided a wheelie bin was the best recepticle to do this with.
I don't think the market manager got my point initially because he said " no one has brought this to his attention before" I was temped to ask>> your point being? at this the two guys in high vis jackets came past and I pointed to the bin and said that is the bin I'm referring to. The market manager then seemed to understand the point I was making and said it would be looked into, ( rather him than me)
This green wheelie bin that they use collects rubbish from the bins around the market. I don't like the idea that rubbish collected could consist of used tissues/dirty nappies amongst other things which is then wheeled past a food area where people are seated eating !!
To sum things up.
When choosing to eat somewhere I don't expect to see a dirty looking domestic green wheelie bin being wheeled past me while I eat with it's lid flapping while the cleaners put more rubbish in it!
If I have eaten in Morrisons cafe, when cleaning they have come round with a cleaning trolley.
If I have eaten in manchester arndale foodcourt they have come round with a cleaning trolley
In fact any place I have eaten in usually has used a stainless steel cleaning trolley that is clean and respectable.
Come on Blackburn market pull up your socks and do something.
My only good point is that I was dealt with courteously and politely by the market manager.
Other than this I would not recommend.

The Market Inspector !

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Andrew M
UK
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great New Market - Buzzing as it should be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I happened to be in Blackburn for a month on research work. This was just after the market had been reorganised, moved and given a new look. As a anthropologist I heard very many complains on buses and trains about how incompetent the local authority was to change the market and how horrible the new market was, etc, etc ....

Well to cut a long story short.... I could not resist visiting it ......... and ........... wait for it ............ it was an extremely pleasant place. Lots of people milling around .... interesting markets stalls .... there were a few empty stalls as it was quite new ..... great food stalls (always a good thing) including a halal take away that seemed to be run by a group of aunties... I would particularly like to mention a bric-a-brac stall right next to one of the entrances that sold high quality home decor stuff at extremely competitive prices...

I must say that during my month in Blackburn, I went back many times...

Visited July 2011