“second time in a month!”

Millstone at Mellor
Ranked #11 of 236 Restaurants in Blackburn
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in the picturesque Ribble Valley, Lancashire, the Millstone is an award winning restaurant and bar. Chef patron Anson Bolton has worked hard to create a menu inspired by the local produce around the inn. Anson's hard work has earned him 2 AA Rosettes which he has held for 10 years.
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

given my positive earlier experience, I took my family for a celebratory birthday meal. it's down to choice but the butchers platter seemed very over priced for a few bits of meat and pate made to look more as the meat was draped over a pile of rocket. my boys were very disappointed! but the rest of the meal was nice.
will go again, but won't rush back for a while, sorry!

Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Many thanks for your feedback. Our deli boards are a very popular item on our menus so I was disappointed to read about your Butchers Board. Your comments would lead me to believe that some items on the board may have slipped through the net & were missing on this occasion so I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst we can’t turn back the clock I hope we’ll get the chance to redeem ourselves in the very near future.

Kind Regards
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Four of us dined on a Saturday evening which was quite busy with a good mix of clientelle. Food all round was excellent - the only thing that slightly let the food down was the spinach served with the thermidor which was too salty. We would agree with other reviews that there was a noticeable delay between the starter and main course. It was nice to see the chef/patron wandering between tables to see if everything had been ok, this reminded us of another great restaurant in Bolton. Would definitely recommend.

Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I’m glad that you enjoyed your meal and I hope the seasoning on the spinach didn’t overshadow the rest of your experience. All our food is cooked fresh to order, which does unfortunately sometime result in a delay at busier times but I’m hoping that the fact you would recommend us means that you still enjoyed your visit. Being originally from Bolton myself I’ll have to try and find this restaurant you mention and check out the competition!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

A son is the chef patron here and us great. As a restaurant fantastic but too formal for just a drink/bar snack which is a sae as owned by Thwaitesvwho are local brewers of fantastic real ales vwatched a family of walkers escorted out recently as bit scruffy!

1  Thank YachtSuzannah
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Many thanks for your kind comments – I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We never set out to be the cheapest eaterie in Mellor, but we do pride ourselves on offering great value as we don’t cut corners in our prep and insist on the best quality ingredients from our suppliers.
We’re also not ‘precious’ about dress standards – the scruffy walkers you refer to were staying with us in our courtyard rooms which are adjacent to the main building – and – far from escorting them off the premises - we were showing them to the rooms for the evening!
The Millstone is also very proud to serve Thwaites Ales & currently offer 4 cask ales, Daniel Thwaites himself is actually buried in the cemetery next door so as he’s now on eye level with the cellar we feel it’s very important to keep our beers ship shape.
Thanks again for your feedback &I look forward to welcoming you back to the Millstone in the very near future.

Kind regards,
Anson Bolton - Manager and all the team at The Millstone.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I went her for a surprise meal for my Birthday! Lovely staff, atmosphere and excellent food!
I would recomend this very highly! i am unaware of the prices as it was a surprise! lol

I’m really pleased that we were able to play a part in your birthday surprise and I’m glad you enjoyed your meal at the Millstone. I’ve passed your comments onto the team and hope to see you again for your next special occasion.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our third visit to the Millstone - a meal for 8 for a family birthday. As before the environment , atmosphere and food were excellent. Friendly and attentive staff. It was very busy and service was a little slow at times but not really a problem.The food was worth waiting for, delicious, locally sourced produce and freshly cooked to order. Good variety with interesting specials. Can highly recommend.

Thank you for your review. As we cook everything fresh it can sometime result in a slight delay at busy times but I’m glad that it didn’t impact on your enjoyment. We change our specials board daily and have recently introduced our monthly “inn season” specials menu so next time you are here there will be lots of new dishes for you and your family to try.