“not as good as it were...”

Calypso Caribbean Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 220 Restaurants in Blackburn
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not as good as it were...”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booked a table early sat for 2...as we hav been before we knew what we wanted the platter for main with the mussels and chicken wings as starters it took approx 10 mins to place the order from arriving at 6.45pm.After 35 mins later we were informed there had bin a mix up and we were still waitin for the starter...it arrived the mussels were warm with a sauce that was hot which had been poured over..and over spiced way too hot..ruined it... the small chicken wings 3 for £4.80...wow...AT LEAST WE GOT FOOD over 45 mins after we ordered. the platter arrived... ive had it before and it was NO WERE NEAR THE STANDARD AS BEFORE...THE FISH HARD AND OVER COOKED....DIS-APPOINTED WILL I RETURN...NO NOT IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

1 Thank mmarsh10
calypsocaribbean, Owner at Calypso Caribbean Restaurant, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am very sorry that you were not happy with your recent visit to Calypso. Unfortunately on the night of your visit the usual Chef was unavailable and another Chef stepped in at short notice and I can only apologise that the food was not to our usual standard. I would also like to apologise for the delay in you receiving your food and again this was due to the floor staff trailling a new system of placing orders, this was only done for the first two hours of the evening when it was realised that the system did not work as planned and they reverted back to the usual system and once again I can only apologise for the delay you experienced. I would appreciate it if you could contact the restaurant when I will be happy to try to rectify your experience.

“Just the ticket”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Further to my wife's visit a week or so before, she & I decided to visit together.

Warm welcome, good customer experience & crucuially, great food.

Being brought up with Encona always in the cupboard we were potentially going to be harder to please than most. No worries here, the food compares well with Dougies, Jamaic-away, Alvinos & Chicken Run in Manchester, but in a Lancashire setting. The curried mutton may not be quite as your Mum would make but that does not detract from it's quality. Fully recommend the platter; the snapper was seasoned nicely, chicken was equally tasty & king prawns were brilliant. Impressive home cooked patties made the platter a winner for us & we fully intend with more friends.

Well done Calypso on making a cold Sunday night go hot!

Blackburn, United Kingdom
“IF YOU HAVN'T EATEN HERE YOUR REALLY MISSING OUT.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a table of 14 people for saturday night we arrived at the restaurant we were welcomed by friendly staff who shown us to our table we wasn't rushed to get our food it was really relaxed,we ordered some drinks then asked for our food!!! WELL where do i start the food was amazing we got dish after dish after dish all freshly cooked to perfection i couldn't fault it what so ever. The whole experiance was great and we will definatly be going back thank you so much for a great evening.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank keith t
Preston, United Kingdom
“Where have all these visitors been???”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Considering all the decent reviews in here I was half looking forward to visiting with our party from work! Mis-placed hope! Firstly, the restaurant was VERY dated - painting ceiling posts in green, red and yellow is not very caribbean. The place looked grubby and the steps down into the restaurant/bar were filthy! Understaffed bar considering the number of large parties in the and £3.30 for a bottle of beer seemed extortionate for the venue! We found at least 5 hairs on our section of the table and the plates provided had remains stuck to them and looked as if a handful of people had touched them before arriving at the table. You would think £15.99 per head would be good value for a buffet but I reckons they made a killing on us. Our food was to be served at 8 (as specified on booking due to other large groups)! It was 8.45 before we were brought a black eyed pea salad and a questionable 'brown' coleslaw! What did these accompaniments accompany....beef patties which arrived 15-20 mins later! Plantains looked considerably small and more like their cousin bananas along with corn cobs....another 15 mins so ad the arrival of some meat - jerk chicken which was quite tasty but off putting when some of our group found red meat next to the bone - and sf chicken! The roast potatoes arrived another 5-10 minutes later and there were not enough for everyone at the table and could've done with another 20 mins before looking roasted! I left at this point! I asked a party member whether the famous 'rice & peas' and curry ever arrived - apparently a staff member asked if we wanted it and because nobody was over enthused with the previous offerings they didn't bother I bring it out! The singer had not arrived when I left at around 9.30 cant imagine the atmosphere being improved by their late arrival. If my party ended up paying full price for the offerings we were given I will be extremely disappointed!

4 Thank loubiehigh
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very welcome surprise!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Myself & two friends were recently cycling the 127 mile Liverpool to Leeds canal (for the charity 'Rethink') when we stopped outside the Calypso Caribbean Restaurant for a break. We got chatting to Dave (the owner) about what we were doing and he very kindly invited us inside, gave us some much needed drinks and food and gave towards our charity! The food was absolutely fantastic and the service was second to none! I would highly recommend it to anyone and would like to send our thanks to Dave for his amazing hospitality.

• Visited October 2012