“First Visit”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Decided to give this popular eatery a try with my partner. When we arrived (Fri night) it was obviously very busy. We could not be accommodated in the restaurant part, but was given a table opposite bar area (with a few other couples). I ordered the 3 cheese pie with chips and beans, my other half had the roast chicken. After a 3/4 hour wait the food arrived, The cheese pie
was actually a small triangular slice, the beans were of the cheap type (little taste), and i left half of the chips as they were actually scraps. My wife's chicken was ok, rosti cake so so. Both meals came to approx £23. Service was ok, very nice decor and good ale, shame about the food. As there are lots of other quality eateries in this area it could be a while before i make my second visit.

1  Thank kenb481965

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We came here for a family birthday and the food was excellent. My roast beef was rare and delicious and everybody else was very happy with their generous portions and unique dishes. The black pudding scotch egg is something I will definitely be visiting again for to try!

The staff were very friendly but a little rushed off their feet - this is probably more to do with staffing than the actual fault of the staff. Recommended as a great place to visit with family or friends for an informal meal.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The numbers for this family meal kept rising until there were 12 of us plus a small baby! We were allocated a large table in the spacious conservatory. We had this room to ourselves which made for a pleasant atmosphere. The staff were very welcoming and we gathered in the lounge until all were present. The food arrived quite quickly and everyone enjoyed their meals.
The only downside was that there were 2 separate menus to select from and it was not possible to 'mix and match'. It would have been preferable to have chosen any dessert on offer.
I believe that the cost per person came to about £20.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Booked a table for 2, for a date, based on previous visits. Waited a few minutes before anyone even spoke to us, Seated straight away, ordered drinks. Someone came to take our food order, the food arrived a few mins later,the fish pie being faultless, the cheese pie and chips (which should in fact have been poatoes) looked like it had seen better days,not to mention looking like it had been cooked 3 times!! Still no drinks! 20 mins later I was told there was no cider! Eventually the drinks arrived. The plates were removed. I had to ask for more drinks. Which took an age to arrive. Having decided enough was enough we went to the bar to pay, and had to even ASK for someone to come and take the money, staff standing, hands in pockets when I want to pay a bill isn't ideal! We could have walked out and nobody would have noticed!!! Had I wanted shoddy service, and poor food, I'd have gone to a cafe, or Hungy Horse type place. I think the service was dire, the food not much better. I emailed the manager, expressing my views, 4 days later I got a reply, saying he'd reply in 48hrs, still nothing!!!! Personally, given how many nice eating places we have in the local area, I'd give this one a wide berth. Sorry to say it, because in the past it has always been very good. The place is warm, clean, and the staff are polite, just a general disappointment.

1  Thank kim n
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Im writing to say how dissappointed my party of 8 were with our Christmas meal. I booked well in advance for 7 adults and one child and paid £70 deposit they didnt want a deposit for the child. when our starter came there was 4 prawns on a bed of chard, nice but not enough, the pate starter was lovely but nothing to spread the pate on! the turkey dinner came stacked which resulted in the roast potatoes being soggy and not crispy as they should be, hardly any gravy and the vegetable choice was awful. None of my party enjoyed their meal im afraid to say and seeing as it cost £40 a head something must have been wrong. When we went to pay i had worked it out that it should have come to £230 our bill came we were charged £250 this was wrong we were charged full for the child, i went back and we did get £20 back but wouldnt have if I hadnt of said anything. The service was good we couldnt fault that just ashame the meal was so lacking