“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Old Dad's Barn B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blackburn
Old Dad's Barn B&B
Ranked #4 of 8 Blackburn B&B and Inns
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Having stayed at Old Dads Farm for the last 4 months, as you know being away from home isn't ideal but I was welcomed as soon as I arrived and felt very at home.
I would like to say a very big thank you to Mick and his family for making my stay a pleasant one. After a hard days work it was always a pleasure to come back to such beautiful surroundings and such a welcoming family.
I wish Mick and his family all the best for the future and if I was to return to Blackburn again I would always return to Old Dads Farm.
Jimmy Cusack
Site Manager

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank JimmyCusack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 16, 2009

My partner and i enjoy outdoor activities especially walking. We decided to book our accomodation at Old Dad's because it looked clean, inviting and was ideal for location purposes. We read the reviews on their website and didn't hesitate to book our five night stay months before our departure date. We payed our fifty percent deposit and later stumbled on these reviews which in all honesty dont sound very positive and we naturally thought the worse and were dreading our stay.
We were warmly welcomed by the owners and i agree with a comment made on their website that the owner has a dry sense of humor but a good one at that. My partner and i were asked if we had any dietry requirements and we were able to select and choose our breakfast items from the menu. The room we stayed in had a wonderful view looking over towards Blackpool, it was clean, spacious, light and we were supplied with the usual tea, coffee and buscuit tray which was refilled daily with room service.
Our stay was pleasant and the breakfast was worth every penny, we would definately stay again at Old Dad's.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tory49
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I was working away and Old Dad's Barn was my second home for 3 months. I never felt lonely there, Barry, Diana and Ellen were like another family to me. My room was immaculately clean and tidy at all times, the bed was clean and comfortable, towels were soft and clean, plenty of hot water and breakfast was lovely. Barry would always greet me each morning with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and a warm welcome. (sometimes even a daft joke!)
Barry waved me off to work each morning and always made sure I had everything I needed. I would highly recommend a stay here, I loved every minute!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
England
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband & I stayed at Old Dads Barn along with two friends last week. The only thing we can say is don’t go. We were all attending a wedding at Stanley House and Old Dads Barn came highly recommended from the local tourist office.

When I booked the reservation by phone the owner was very abrupt and demanded a deposit of 50%. This I sent by cheque. If I had not done this we certainly would not have stayed when we arrived. The same abrupt man answered the door in pouring rain to say “I have got out of my Sick bed for you”. Some welcome. The whole house is dark and the furniture would be more at home in my grandparents home 70 years ago. Dark and imposing. There were some scary old photos around the room no doubt of distant relatives but not very endearing. When we checked in we were asked what time we wanted breakfast as the rooms had to be vacated before 10.00am. We agreed on 9.00am and were informed that normally grapefruit juice or orange juice was offered but he had no grapefruit so it would have to be orange. The price of £60 per room we considered in view of the location and quality to be expensive then we were informed that a cooked breakfast would be extra. We settled for a continental breakfast which was served in a dark windowless unheated room. The breakfast consisted of cereal and 2 slices of white toast each. (No choice). We asked for extra tea and toast we thought the owner was about to blow a fuse. We were happy to leave and at least the early start meant we were not late home however it did foreshorten our weekend.

The property has potential for a pleasant B & B but with the present owner and décor it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Most of it
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank wiganduo
Mick S, Owner at Old Dad's Barn B&B, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Good morning, as the new owners of Old Dads we feel it polite to respond to your review. I appreciate it's some time since your stay, Barry was in ill health so closed the bed & breakfast untill we took over.

We are taking on board the opinions of previous guests and our own idea's to improve our bed & breakfast. We feel a 10% deposit is fair to secure a booking. Barry's sometimes rude manor was down to his ill health, we feel we give a warm welcome and telephone greeting. As you can see from the picture's I have uploaded we are working towards improving the rooms and furniture in them. We have included a choice of cooked breakfasts in the room price's along with cerials and toast.

Regards

Old Dads
South Yorkshire
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We have just returned from a two night stay at this bed and breakfast. It is listed as an AA 3 star quality accommodation, but falls far short of the mark.
A strange smell pervades this propery - a mix of creosote and damp, possibly a result of it having been recently converted.
On first arriving, the proprietor quizzed us as to how many slices of toast we wanted for breakfast, how many cups of tea/coffee we would be drinking and at what time we would be arriving back - all very strange.
Our room (Wyre No.3) was dark and oppresive with darkly painted furniture with a view out of the window of dilapidated out-buildings and a diesel storage tank (see pictures)
Little thought or imagination has gone into the design of the rooms yet the literature describes them as of excellent standard with lovely en-suite and well equipped.
The general feeling/ambiance is one of a property lacking in sufficient quality and provision. With a little imagination and flair, this place could so easily be made much more inviting.
On returning the first evening, we found our bed had not been made, the sink and shower not cleaned. The proprietor said he was under no obligation to clean them. The only redeeming feature was the breakfast which was hearty and well presented although we did have to pay extra for it.
Overall, this establishment falls far short of what we expected of a 3 star listed accommodation.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Attitude of proprietor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank oldchelt
Mick S, Owner at Old Dad's Barn B&B, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Good morning, as the new owners of Old Dads Barn Bed & Breakfast we feel we should follow up your review. We have been running Old Dads since July 2011. Taking into consideration reviews of previous guests and our own idea's we feel we are making some real improvements. The area outside the greenhouses (in your picture) is being renovated with diesel tanks that arn't used being removed and a fence going up. The room you stayed in (also pictured) is now the family room (in the picture's we have added).

We have not gone for any star ratings as of yet, as we feel we haven't got the look and feel we want but are working hard towards getting it.

We strive to keep the grounds clean and tidy how ever, we are a working farm and garden nursery.

Regards

Old Dads
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Old Dad's Barn B&B? Share your experiences!