“first class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cannock
Stafford, United Kingdom
“first class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

we just had our wedding there was beautiful cant say a bad word about it food was lovely rooms where clean staff very friendly and helpful would recommend it to anyone had a fab night the bar in the hotel is open all night

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stay here regularly as I work in the local area and find the hotel to be excellent. The staff are very friendly which really does improve my stay when I am away from home alone for the whole week. The food in the hotel is very good although I do go out most nights for a little variety. Although my company pick up the bill anyway the hotel is extremely well priced for the good service provided. I will continue to use the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Walsall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My family and I recently attended a wedding reception there, we were very disappointed by the service and quality of the food served. The staff were rude and unhelpful, the food was cold and
had to keep asking for basic items, skylounge was unsuitable for a wedding reception, the toilets
were on the floor below which was a pain for parents with children and elderly persons.There is only one lift upto the skylounge so the wait for the lift was horrendous. On the whole the place is
not geared up for weddings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ann f
JohnO87, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham North - Cannock, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the wedding reception that you attended at the hotel. I will be looking into the issues with your food further as usually the feedback we receive from weddings at the hotel is excellent. I am sorry that you found the toilets being on the floor below to be an inconvenience. This is something that we always communicate with any Bride and Groom who are booking the Sky Room and we have never found to be a problem even for elderly guests as there is a lift to the floor below where the toilets are located. I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case.

David Tucker

Travelers are raving about these Cannock hotels

Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a short break 2 nights with my grandson before going on to my drive experience at Driveme in Stafford.On arrival at the hotel we were checked in by a very pleasant you lady who gave us a family room as i had my grandson with us and he was very happy as he had a big bed to his self.We went out to eat at the beefeater restaurant about 1 mile away then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep.Breakfast was really good as you helped yourself and there was plenty to choose from.Would recommend this hotel if you wanted a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less road noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night - I'm glad that was all. The hotel location is convenient enough about 2 miles from the motorway, and you can see it from a long way away if you get lost - but thats about all the good bits. Its a mile walk into Cannock from the hotel - quite a lonely road so you may be better in a taxi.

The rooms were adequate - the shower was nice. Not much of a view as the hotel is mainly in an industrial area. There is a VERY small bar with the most uncomfortable seats imaginable where you just kept sliping off they were that worn,

The service is what really lets the place down. We had booked bed and breakfast, but when we arrived for breakfast the next morning they didnt have us booked in for it and tried to charge us £9.50 a head. When we complained they went to reception but still insisted we pay for it. Only when the lead of the party showed his paperwork to reception then they let it go. As for the breakfast, I have stayed in many places but this was by far the worst breakfast I have ever had. How can you overcook hash browns, then drown them in the juice of the tinned tomatoes? Add to that a 2 skinny pieces of bacon and a horrible sausage - that was breakfast.

I think this hotel lives on business travellers and its brand reputation and should be avoided.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gunner7171
JohnO87, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham North - Cannock, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have taken the points you mentioned on board and will be discussing them with my team to ensure that this kind of service is not repeated.

Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked this as we often see it whilst on the M6, at night its quite imposing and draws you to it. Ramada is a well known brand that usually implies quality.

The hotel is based just off the M6 toll junction T7 , Parking is free. Stayed for 1 night on a friday on a deal £45 B&B,

On arrival we were checked in to a room on the 5th floor of 12. We accessed the room by the one and ONLY lift in the hotel.
The room was smaller than you would find in a premier Inn and smelt of smoke. The room was a double with 1 double bed. The mattress was comfortable but the divan underneath was exposed and didnt look too new. The Floor to ceiling windows exposing nice views were blocked by fixed table .

The wardrobe area just inside the door had a shelf that was broken and fallen onto the spare towels. it must have been seen by housekeeping staff, but not repaired.

The bathroom and shower was dirty with mould and damp spots throughout. The housekeeping throughout was very poor.

The air-con was noisy but the only source of "Fresh Air"

Breakfast was buffet style with packets of cereals/danish/fruit combined with a choice of english breakfast. it was ok although i can image it could be frustrating if busy as the only toaster took ages. The restaurant staff were helpful and friendly.

This has put me off staying at any other Ramada and i certainly wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAS7578
JohnO87, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham North - Cannock, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry to see that you had these issues with the cleanliness of your room. I have discussed this with our Head Houusekeeper and held a meeting with our Housekeeping team to reiterate the high standards of cleanliness that I expect. I would also like to apologize that the air con in your room was noisy, this has now been fixed. I am pleased to see that you found the staff in the restaurant to be helpful and friendly. Thank you for bringing the problems you encountered to my attention as this has enabled to resolve them.

Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Admittedly we had a bargain via Buy a Gift to stay here, but being a 4 star hotel, we were expecting alot more from this chain. Upon arrival a lady passed us in the car park and we exchanged hello's. When we arrived in reception there was no one to greet us, after a short wait the lady who had passed us in the car park appeared behind the desk! Check in was quick and the room was lovely and clean although as my partner commented the pillows were thinner than a cigarette paper. The bathroom had no extras like a shower cap or bar of soap as you would expect in a 4 star. Shower gel and liquid hand soap were provided in nice bottles but I suspect these had been re-filled with a cheap brand. The shower was a lovely size but the shower itself was not very powerful, although it was lovely and hot and did the job. The internet access in the room was free but it took 10 minutes of ringing reception and an eventual trip on foot down to reception to obtain the access code to link our laptop to the hotels connection. When we asked where we could eat in the area we were told "I don't know, i'm not from here" and no attempt was made to find out for us. We thought the staff would have some knowledge whether they lived nearby or not. We found local restaurants ourselves via the internet. We went up th the sky bar on the first evening but it was locked up so a nightcap was out of the question, depsite it being only 9pm. We did however visit it the second afternoon but for the 2 1/2 hours we were there not one member of staff was in attendance and we had to keep going down to the ground floor bar to purchase drinks which was a little tedious. We could have, however, drunk the bar dry in the skybar and I very much doubt any one would have noticed until they rolled back the security cameras! Also, the skybar does not have 360 degree views as advertised on some sites, but the view we did have was great and is a good spot to watch the sunset. Breakfast left alot to be desired. Again no-one was there to greet us when we went in and I had to walk up to the bar where two members of staff were chatting to find out where we should sit etc. The food on offer was plentiful and there was alot of choice, however it had been under the heated lights for so long that the bacon was rock hard and the beans were a clump. the bread had gone slightly hard from being exposed all morning. However, the drinks, cereals and continental choice was fine. The hotel does have great access links to the M6 and NEC but it is an out of town hotel so not much within walking distance, but a short car / taxi ride away. The hotel in itself was fine and "did the job" but the service received from the mostly absent staff was not what we expected. We felt as if it was a self serve hotel and customer care was not top priority.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with cannock views. ask for a front facing room to avoid the noise of the gener...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victoria d
JohnO87, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham North - Cannock, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback on the hotel. I am pleased to see that you had a speedy check in and you found your room to be clean. I am sorry you found our pillows to be thin. I have since replaced all pillows in the hotel. Extras such as shower caps are available from reception. If you call down to reception from your bedroom these are brought up to you free of charge. I will be retraining my staff on knowledge of the local area. I must apologise for our apparent lack of service in our Sky Bar. In actual fact our the bar is not open on an evening which is why there were no staff to serve you. General practice is to lock the bar when we close at 16:30 so thank you for bringing this to my attention as on the evening of your stay this was obviously forgotten about and is an issue I will be addressing. I am extremely sorry if this made us appear to be a 'self service hotel' as I can assure you we are extremely customer focused.

David Tucker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannock
Premier Inn Cannock (Orbital) Hotel
Roman Way Hotel
Roman Way Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hatherton
Premier Inn Wolverhampton North Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham North - Cannock? Share your experiences!