Calverts Hotel
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
Excellent 5/5
  • Free Internet
All reviewsflat screen tvfreeview channelsextra pillowsdouble bedbus stationwetherspoons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My son and I had hiked from Ryde to Newport, and now we had to hike around the town to find accommodation. We found the Calverts Hotel from directions given by another hotel which was full, and our immediate thought was that it was old and neglected. Old it certainly is, nearly 3 centuries old in fact, and we had some difficulty finding our rooms along the warren of corridors that seemed to go on for miles. The price quoted (£39) was per person, including breakfast, and the receptionist asked if we'd like two single rooms rather than a twin/double, same price. Indeed we would. The rooms were adequately sized, with the usual tv, desk, en-suite bathroom, toiletries, towels, tea/coffee facilities. Free wifi only works in the reception area, however. Breakfast is served in a windowless room in the far depths of the building, and was a very good affair. Overall, the hotel is good value, quaint and full of character.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sarumanthewhite
Reviewed August 8, 2013

booked last minute, 86 pounds for a twin room.
on asking why it was so expensive, l was told it was high season.
there was no shower,the bath was marked in four places,the hot water
took ages to come through ,and trickled when it finally arrived.
the cold tap had a mind of its own,turn it two full turns and you might get
lucky. the sink cold tap refused to dispense any cold water.
the breakfast was nice and well served.
as we only stayed one night I did not complain.the place badly needs an
referb.. will never stay there again --steve and tommy--we stayed in room
26.-----august the 7th 2013.

Room Tip: look at the room first before paying.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel should be closed down. It smells , the bath rooms are disgusting. The whole place is depressing. Had to pay when we booked over the phone, would have gone home on next ferry otherwise. Should not be aloud to take peoples money that they have worked for

Room Tip: Don't go
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony W
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'm sorry to report that the Calverts Hotel is a shabby, old fashioned hotel with poor services! I stayed there on 26th/27th July 2013 and was disappointed in soooo many ways. Room size...not large. Room Décor.....1970s. Ensuite....really shabby, very slow hot water flow, miniature sink, no shower. Services....well....what services? Breakfast didn't start until 8am because the chef wasn't in before then!!! Coincidentally, parking restrictions outside the hotel STARTED at 8.00am so if you came in a car AND wanted breakfast you would have to nip out and feed the meter. The hotel has no car park of its own, 8am is a ridiculously late breakfast start and , although breakfast is included in the "way too high" £70 a night charge, I couldn't have breakfast on either day as I needed to leave by 8am to get to my destination in time. I was told that not refund would be made for this!
Sadly there are NO good bits to report on this "hotel"!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed here during the Isle of Wight Festival and I was a bit concerned having read some of the other reviews about this hotel on the site. However, the hotel was fine. It's an old, rambling building and its decor is a bit tired and in places in need of refurbishment. However it was clean, the staff were polite, helpful and very friendly, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good and generous. We had an ensuite bath/shower and a flat screen telly (not that we watched it as we were out alot). Some of the reviews on here mention problems with noise from the street, we were on the 2nd floor towards the back and it was lovely and quiet, even with the festival. Since it is such an old rambling building I suspect the hot water problem that other reviews have mentioned is due to low water pressure. To get a hot shower, we found we had to turn on the hot first, wait for it to run through and then add the merest smidgen of cold - if they ever re-plumb they should probably change to a mains pressure system. I would also suggest that they invest in some towel rails or hooks so there is somewhere to hang damp towels in the bathroom. The hotel is very conveniently located within easy walking distance Newport town centre and the shops and pubs and Newport and the Isle of Wight are lovely.

Room Tip: Room away from the main street are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple