“Convenient Location - Aggresive Owner and needs to be more clean”

Old Church House Bed & Breakfast
Old Church House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 17 Newport B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Convenient Location - Aggresive Owner and needs to be more clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed here in first week of May for 3 days. B & B is located very near to Newport bustand so it is very convenient to go around.

I booked B & B two months before our trip and when we arrived our Room door did not had a lock and we were bit uncomfortable and insisted the landlord for a room with lock and were given so. Later when we went to make the payment I was told the room cost is £70(Our original booking price was for £60) and I was taken aback when asked I was told the room with lock costs £70 and owner was aggressive and he kept telling it's a peak season(while I could not see anyother guest) and this is the most reasonable B & B etc .. I ended up paying the extra amount.

Cleanliness is not all that great, you will find dust and Cat hair everywhere including Dining area.
More than cleanliness we were disappointed with owner's attitude and rude behaviour and I would not recommend this place especially if you are allergic to cats.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Suma G
Gian G, Owner at Old Church House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We have fitted locks to all 3 rooms now, as others have requested this, although we are very relaxed here on the island with low crime rates.

If anything serious happens here the ferries are stopped until they're caught :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have just tried to book a twin room at The Old Church House B&B for my mum & I for 4 nights in July. I phoned to enquire about availabillity and the price and was quoted £70 per night with a £70 deposit due. I phoned to check with my mum and due to the kids running around, she called to book. She phoned me back to say she had been quoted £80 per night - in the space of literally 5 minutes the price had gone up by £10!!! When she queried the price, he abruptly told her it was 'height of the season'. I called back to query and was extremely polite, explaining I had spoken to a lady. He was IMMEDIATELY rude, Saying if we were going to 'quibble over £5, quite frankly we could go somewhere else'. I was astounded and said I was quibbling, I was querying as the lady had quoted £70 only 10 minutes earlier. He snapped 'that lady was my wife and it's £75 as it's height of the season. I can honestly say, I don't know how he gets ANY business with such a dreadful and aggressive manner and despite good reviews (which may well be made up), one bad experience like mine over-rides any positive feedback. How anyone can be so rude to someone like this is beyond me. We will be booking to go to the island and I will be extremely grateful that we won't be subjected to this man, As someone who has travelled to the Isle of Wight almost every year for 30 plus years I have only had positive experiences of all the accommodation so please, don't book with this man.

Oh, and how he can play the 'height of the season' card at this stage in May when he still has availability for July. Well, that says alot...

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Anna B
Fortunately for us this person never stayed at our B+B which is also our home as she admits in her review.

Not sure why Trip Advisor refuse to take this review down as it is clearly malicious and breaks their own rules about reviews having to be written by people who have stayed in the accommodation they are writing about.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport
Newport Quay Hotel
Newport Quay Hotel
#3 of 17 in Newport

Been to Old Church House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!