“A modern hotel fairly typical of its era.”
Review of NH Capelle

NH Capelle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A modern hotel, fairly typical of it's era set in a busy outskirts of Rotterdam. The location is good for cycling or walking to the large shopping mal - bus, train and metro are near by overall not a bad place to stay.
The main criticisms we have about our two night stay are that the inside of the drawers were very dusty as was the floor underneath the bed, however the room was very clean elsewhere so no real issues there other than I didnt unpack.
The breakfast buffet on day one was a wide choice of the usual continental meats and cheeses, fruits, yogurts etc plus hot bacon, scrambled and boiled eggs, pancakes, breads and assorted cold and hot drinks. The down side was no cold milk for the cereal ( or if there was it was well hidden) and an empty syrup bottle put out for the pancakes. ( were were down early enough for breakfast that it could not have started out full)
Breakfast on day two was a real dissapointment, No scrambled eggs, again no cold milk, nothing to put on the pancakes and a real feeling that we were being hurried in and out to get rid of us before a buisness conference that arrived.
Coupled with the rather nasy photo copy of a map we were given having requested one I really feel this hotel was geared more for buisnessmen than tourists. Having said all that, yes I would stay there again if there was nowhere else available but as we disliked Rotterdam compared to other parts of Holland it is most unlikely we would be returning to the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for NH Capelle

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We use this hotel often for our business educations and trainees.
Always 1 or more meetingrooms for a day use. No nightstays.
This 4 star hotel is not more than a 3 star hotel. No luxery at all, but basic and a little bit old fashioned.
But for car users it is easy near the exit of the expressway Utrecht-Rotterdam and free parking.
No publictransport nearby.
Not a romantic location for weekends or holidays surrounding by offices and houses.
So for meetings it is okay and they have a nice lunchbuffet with a wide choose of breadrolls, soup,salads etc. Also pastrys and puddings.
Always a good lunch and if you are lucky the terrass is open overlooking a little pond.

Toilets are not clean. (the whole day I saw te same stains on the toiletseating...)
Total impression of the lobby and meetingrooms is average.

I saw a lady with two hugh dogs (German Shepherds I think) going into one of the 2 lifts going to her room. Barking!
Lucky I didn't have that room after their stay.
Must be awful with all that hair...
It can't be normal that 2 big dogs are allowed in hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Creemers, General Manager at NH Capelle, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Mr. Zoute,

Thank you for your comments about the hotel. We regret to read that you are not satisfied with the cleanliness and the style of the hotel. We fully agree that toilets need to be clean at all times. We will definitely focus on this point to make sure they are nice and clean.

We normally do not allow big dogs and I fully understand your comment. In this case we made an exception.

As per the first of May Tuk Tuks are available for only 1 euro. They will bring you to the train station Alexander or to the metro station 6 days in the week form early in the morning until late in the evening. This makes the use of public transport much easier.

We are glad to understand that you like the lunch quality and variety!

Thanks again for your comments; we take these very seriously.

Best regards,

Sander Creemers

Hotel director

Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel has plenty of parking-spaces, although busses parked the wrong way blocked plenty of spaces reserved for cars, and there are parking-spaces 'Women only'... how's that for emancipation ;-)
When I checked, I could not help but noticing the busses just delivered 50+ japanese tourists, all checking in and trying to find their way to the room using the two (too small) elevators. The desk-clerk pulled me to the side and made sure my check-in was handled in a seperate queue than the one for this bus.

The hotel was quiet, rooms are spaciou; Overall, the hotel was dark and dull, including the rooms.
At breakfast, the bus-travelling guests were shown to a different restaurant, so breakfast was very quiet; Choice for breakfast was not limited, but the I kind of missed the English-breakfast i enjoy when staying in a hotel.... then again this was a decent light breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Primarily I chose this hotel for location and have now stayed there are on at least 3 occasions.

This time I stayed for 2 nights.

Parking is ample at the hotel with secure entry/exit so very good. Free Wi-fi in the lobby although I never was able to get this working. Paid for wifi available in rooms which works fine.

My room mini-bar was NOT empty like others report (it had half a bar of chocolate)! I'm not sure if this was standard issue or a whole bar that had been half eaten by the previous occupant. There was also a used pair of black socks but these were under a chair and perhaps easily missed by the cleaners. Generally the rooms are large and simple and the decor is slightly worn in places. My room was a non-smoking rooom but had a definite hint of stale-smoke when entering the room so perhaps it had been a smoking room in the past.

There is a room safe which was working fine and the reception staff were able to help me with my TV queries when I couldn't initially get the TV to work. Lighting in the rooms is atmospheric(I call it dim). The hotel is relatively close to a busy road but I have never been bothered by road noise there especially if my room is on the opposite side.

There is a bar and separately a dining area on the ground floor overlooking a lake. I didn't use the bar. Service in the restaurant was adequate but not fast. On the 1st night everything went smoothly but on the 2nd night I asked for a fillet from the menu and was told it was not available, my second request for the advertised "special" was also not available with my sauce choice either so I went for a 3rd choice. The staff were very apologetic and I did get a free drink of wine for the extra waiting.

Self-service Breakfast is a satisfactory if not vast choice of dishes but perfectly acceptable.

As others have said there are no other restaurants in the area and having done a run in the immediate area I can confirm this.

Room Tip: I have not noticed any different in rooms across the hotel although rooms at the back of the hotel n...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2012

First time that I stayed in this Hotel. The location is quite okay - next to the highway ( there is no noise ). People at the reception have been friendly. They still offer - smoking and non smoking rooms. Fortunately i got a non-smoking room. I booked a standard room and this is what I got - a simple room with two beds. The mini-bar was empty, but you can book a package deal and you get it filled. There is W-Lan but you have to pay for it - 24h will cost you over 10,-€. My advise book a room with mini-bar and W-Lan. That makes more sense. The breakfast buffet is simple, but okay. I did not check out the location around the Hotel but it appears that there are not restaurants nor bars near by. I am sure that I will stay again at the NH Hotel Capelle but will go for a package deal.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank thomasiksk
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This probably used to be a very nice business hotel. Now it is a bit worn down with dings and chips on floors, walls, and furniture. Some staff were friendly, but some were slow and didn't volunteer helpful information. At checkin they tried to charge us for breakfast and wifi that was included in the rate we booked on the hotel's website. The on-site food was good, though, the rate we paid was reasonable, and the hotel was quiet. The location was good for our purposes, but it's not close to town.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This a tower block building on the edge of a trading estate. The rooms are standard oblong concrete boxes, some of which could benefit from refurbishment. The TV in our room was rather ancient and had the sound stuck on very loud, so was unusable.
Breakfast is nice, a good coffee machine, fresh fruit and selection of breads as well as hot eggs, bacon and sausage - all self service. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capelle aan den IJssel
Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark
Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark
#11 of 52 in Rotterdam
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - N...
#1 of 1 in Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel
#40 of 52 in Rotterdam
Worldhotel Wings
Worldhotel Wings
#12 of 52 in Rotterdam

Been to NH Capelle? Share your experiences!