“Charming by the water restaurant”
Review of De Oude Smidse

De Oude Smidse
Reserve with
De Oude Smidse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I like this traditional Dutch restaurant. It's informal, has a charming, nice and cozy environment, meaning exactly what the Dutch expression "gezellig" is about.

My sister-in-low and her family where visiting the Netherlands and we went there for dinner. The service was friendly and effective, although a bit slow (but that is the standard in NL). The dishes were good and we were all satisfied. I saw a change from last time we went there, which is a movement in doing more sophisticated dishes regarding the mix of flavours and presentation.

The view is wonderful if you are reserving a table that has view to the canal, with boats passing by and lights going on at night in the bridge right at the entrance of the restaurant.

Ouderkerk is this beautiful little town very cozy, specially at night. So a walk after dinner in the neighbourhood of the restaurant is a must. If it's not raining, of course!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

A lovely restaurant, lovely welcoming staff, knew I spoke English and out came the English menu and they didn't hesitate to talk English. The setting in the restaurant was beautiful real old Dutch. The food was excellent, made my last meal in holland most enjoyable. Would recommend this restaurant. Also looking over the canal, and watch the canal boats go by, so beautiful.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I had dinner with some business associates here this week. It was a gorgeous evening and we sat right by the water watching little boats go by, what a treat. Everyone loved their food, the seafood appetizer with a taste of king prawn, small Dutch shrimp, crab meat etc was great. Several of us had the sea wolf (even though we were not familiar with that fish), I can highly recommend it. They brought us various small plates of salad, something that tasted like marinated watermelon and fries. We all left the restaurant happy.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We came in for a birthday party, the place is very nice and warm, lovely view, the food was unbelievable! gourmet dishes with a twist and smiley service. we loved it!

1  Thank hhsol
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I visit this restaurant probably once a month and always take my international business associates to this place. The food is nice and the wines are great. Staff is friendly and polite and all of them have a long history working for this restaurant. It used to be blacksmith and you can still see some signs of that.
The menu changes frequently and so do the wines. In summer time you can sit outside and enjoy the boats passing by.
My favorite dessert must be the apple pie which is baked by the bakery from just across the street. Give it a try!

1  Thank Moisandor