“Best Thai restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Oakton, Virginia
“Best Thai restaurant”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I order take-out from Kob Kun just about every weekend, and it is always excellent. My favorites are Pad See Ew, Drunken Noodles (both w/soft tofu), Peppercorn Softshell Crab, Yum Pla Grob, and Pad Ped Talay. Also love the Sweet Corn Cakes appetizer.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank rkarpel

Oakton, Virginia
“The other reviews are right - Kob Kun is really really Good!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We check TA regularly to see which restaurants excel in our town. As a result, we wanted to dine at Kob Kun for awhile. We were happy we did.
The spring roll, satay and sea food pad thi were all excellent. In fact the choices were better than the other Thi dinner spots in our area. Bill B.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Bill B
usa
“Different Thai menu”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

You'll find things a little different from the typical Thai that you find on most menus around here. The cooking is good and inventive. I like it for a change from the usual.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank travelingyogi
New York
“Good food, good service, but caters to "local taste"”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

First, I'd like to say that the restaurant is clearly well ran and seems to put a significant effort in making customers feel welcome. Service is very attentive, almost too much so (but that's a good problem to have).

Food was well prepared, tasty and well presented. Green beans in light batter in particular were a different kind of appetizer, liked by all.

However, (sorry, there is a however) - the food was absolutely devoid of spice. I asked for Tom Kha to be made spicy, but when it came - it was about as spicy as an egg mcmuffin ;) It was a great soup otherwise, but you could feed it to a 3 year old safely ;) Same applied to green curry, pad kra pao and a few other dishes. Perhaps they didn't understand my request for "spicy" due to miscommunication, or assumed that local caucasian looking person can't possibly enjoy a proper Thai dish.

This seems to be a running theme with a number of Thai restaurants in NoVa, so Kob Kun is not alone in playing it safe. In spite of that, I'd like to give them another try - hopefully they can add a few chilies to my order next time. If not - I'll give them a miss, but not because they are a bad restaurant. You very well might like them.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank bork3000
Fairfax, Virginia
“Recognized at the second visit - service and food outstanding”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Okay, so I have loved listening to The Beatles since 1963, yet did not expect to hear their music when I approached the Kob Kun Fine Thai Restaurant shortly after moving to Oakton VA two months ago. The music may have brought me through the door that evening, but the food and service keep me coming back. The bar is small, and crowded with locals waiting for dinner. The presentation of the dinners is beautiful, with fresh ingredients and exquisite flavors treating the palate. Now that I'm a regular, I order an appetizer (portions are generous) in order to save room for the unique desserts. My favorite for now is the chicken satay skewers with salad. Soft peanut flavors caress the grilled chicken and blend with spring onions and spices. Simply Delish!

• Visited April 2013