“Short Break to Doorwerth”

Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Doorwerth-Arnhem
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doorwerth
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We chose the Golden Tulip due to its location we were going to visit Floriade 2012 and Palais Het Loo. The hotel is surrounded by woodland which is ideal for walks or cycling. There is also a large park for pre/post dinner walks. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and the food was first class. If you didn't want to dine in the hotel, there was a chinese close by or small Italian in the village. The facilities in the rooms were second to none, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vodkagal

Reviewed April 5, 2012

A nice hotel, perfect if you visit Arnhem, Oosterbeek and other World War II memorials, combined with a visit to the Kröller-Müller Museum (all those Van Gogh paintings ...) and a walk through the woods ... (lovely chateau nearby)

It has a grand entry, very friendly personnel, nice restaurant, a private sauna (reservation necessary - for an hour) and indoor/outdoor swimming pool. Very quiet rooms, but only twin beds - not for couples ...

Lounge and bar were renovated, the rest is clean but could use some renovation (seventies, I guess). New TV-sets, new carpets, ... it's okay to stay over one or two nights.

There are no restaurants nearby, so you need to eat in the restaurant. We paid 100 EUR for two, three course dinner, apero, wine and water. Very nice cuisine.

Room Tip: Back side rooms, away form the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

After having stayed at the Golden Tulip in Doorwerth (GTD) for three days, and after having such a fabulous experience with it all, I'm very, very surprised at how many 'poor' and 'terrible' ratings this hotel has received. It could be that I was just lucky, but those who traveled with me generally agree that the experience was great.
When we arrived at GTD, the place looked like a motel. True, from the street, it doesn't really look like much. The lobby and reception area is very modern and inviting, but the blocks of rooms are a bit like big, grey shoe boxes. But, the appearance belies the interior and the grounds which very nicely maintained and really lovely.
I stayed in one of the standard rooms. It was well appointed, with a great bed, clean bathroom and newer fixtures. My only complaint with the room was that there was no iron and no trouser press. Other than that, I cannot fault the room.
I stayed at GTD for a conference and meals were included in our conference fees. All meals were provided by the hotel. Breakfast and lunches were very good. Dinners were all outstanding! The service staff was also outstanding and extremely personable.
During non-conference hours, we checked out the bar and the patio. The patio has a great seating area that looks across the grounds. It was peaceful and refreshing to sip on a beer and watch the sun set through the trees. I was also lucky to take a pre-dawn stroll into the woods across the street and watch the sun come up from a bench there. The birds were amazing! Woodpeckers, doves, wrens, robins, blackbirds, finches...a bird watcher's dream right next to the hotel. The hotel is a short distance from all of the attractions within Hoge Veluwe National Park, too, so that's another great bonus.
Maybe travelers who see the hotel's four-star rating expect more than I do. But I can honestly say that I can't find any serious faults with this hotel whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Finally a hotel where they realize how important service is. Add to that a lovely breakfast, good restaurant (bit pricey) and a whole load of forest around for lovely walks and you have a the formula for a relaxing weekend. What a huge plus was as well is that they realize that people like to sit in bed watching a bit of telly and that a one little cushion does not work. Here a nice big cushion so that you can sit up probably without getting a crick in your neck. Also fantastic that they let dogs in - wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Having read the trip advisor reviews I was a little concerned about this hotel. However, I figured that they were old so we'd give it a go as we were attending an event in Arnhem and it suited all our needs as a family. First off, they must have got rid of all the rude staff because right from the start the staff here were so helpful and friendly I don't know how anyone could fault them.
We booked a family suite which was two rooms divided by glass doors, one double bed and a fold out sofa - ideal for our family of four. There was a tv in each room, fridge and a balcony overlooking the beautiful grounds. Before arriving we were going to check in and go out for the day but soon changed our minds when we got there. There are two playgrounds for the children, a lake and an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. We had a lovely afternoon sitting on the terrace having drinks and ice creams while the children played in the sunshine. In the evening we used the restaurant and the food for adults was excellent with a buffet for the children which they very much enjoyed. When the kids had eaten they ran off to play in the indoor children's room which had numerous toys and books and a huge screen plays children's dvds, leaving us to enjoy a couple of drinks. We also ate breakfast in the morning which was also very good with a large buffet selection to satisy even the fussiest of Brits.
To sum it up, we would return to this hotel in a heartbeat! Having used this as a base to attend an event, the children said staying at the hotel was the best part of the trip!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I have stayed here each time I come over on the Arnhem Pilgrimage. I find the staff very friendly and the service good. Buffet breakfast has plenty of choice, the coffee is excellent.
I agree that the cleaning is almost an allday job, but you can't start to clean occupied rooms can you?
I don't drivew when in Europe and the bus service in to Oosterbeek and then on to Arnhem is adequate for my needs.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed June 6, 2008

It very much feels like a cheap American motel. However ... a good part of the time the internet did not work. Rather rude service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doorwerth
1 mi away
NH Arnhem Rijnhotel
NH Arnhem Rijnhotel
#1 of 14 in Arnhem
Holiday Inn Express Arnhem

Been to Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Doorwerth-Arnhem? Share your experiences!