We picked this hotel for two reasons: it is a member of the Relais et Chateaux organisation (and we have never been let down at a Relais et Chateaux hotel) and its location in the Engadine in Switzerland, a beautiful, if not remote, part of Switzerland. The Schlosshotel Tarasp is worthy of its Relais et Chateaux association and it exceeded our expectations all around.
The building has been in the same family for 500 years. It is a gorgeous Engadine structure completely renovated in and out. Tarasp is a small mountain village with beautiful buildings covered in flowers. This area is a hiker's paradise (and runner's as well, if you like trail running, as I do). Our experience is often hotels have mediocre food - not this hotel. The food is excellent and they have a well-stocked wine cellar with fairly priced wines. Breakfast is a traditional Swiss breakfast with fantastic fresh breads, local cheeses, cold meats, yogurts and the like.
We had three rooms as we were traveling with family and although each room was different, it felt as if one was staying in someone's most wonderful vacation home, rather than a hotel. The rooms are in the style of the Engadine with wood paneling and fabulous beds. All rooms have a fabulous outlook. There are many terasses to enjoy the views and the mountain air. This place is quiet, pastoral and of first rate quality.
Our only regret is we stayed only two nights.
A small niggle - the Swiss have a well-known disdain for air conditioning and breezes in general. The temperature in the dining room of the hotel was easily in the high twenties and if a window was opened, someone promptly shut it - guests and staff alike.
We'd highly recommend this hotel. A stunning location and beautiful, well-maintained historical building. Tarasp isn't easy to get to but it is absolutely worth the trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Schlosshotel Chase is a charming Engadine house with modern comfort in a very quiet and sunny location. Our guests get relaxed in the beauty of our nature, our comfortable Swiss pine rooms and our wellness area with different saunas, steam bath and massages. We pamper our guests with culinary delights from the Chaste gourmet kitchen. During 500 years enchanted by the Castle of Tarasp - evolution and tradition of a farmhouse. The transformation of the farm into a hotel started in 1912 by installing a modest inn and grocery store during the restoration of the castle. In 75 years the hotel established its international reputation for its syntheses of nostalgic ambiance, exquisite courtesy and top-level cuisine in paradisiacal environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Hotel.de so you can book your Schlosshotel Chaste reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Schlosshotel Chaste Tarasp
- Schlosshotel Chaste Hotel Tarasp