“Gorgeous location.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Spiez
Denbigh, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous location.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We decided last minute to stay here for one night to enjoy the wonderful lake views in the most gorgeous clear weather.
I had stayed here once before but this was my first visit since the renovation. There is now a lovely terrace on which our meals were served and a stainless steel outdoor swimming pool. My husband also enjoyed the indoor facilities of the hot pool and the treatment rooms.
We arrived and enjoyed a delicious lunch on the terrace.
Our room, room 4, was quiet and in an annexe. It was not one of the newer rooms but nevertheless we thought it very comfortable with a private balcony, great views and a good, spotlessly clean bathroom.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
guisborough
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed at the Belvedere Hotel over a number of years Although we enjoyed the experience the hotel had started to show its age. Especially the rooms looked and felt like they were designed in the 1950s. What a change has been made since the makeover! We thoroughly enjoyed the new ideas brought in with the changes. The rooms are now up-to-date and the magic of the dining room has not been lost. However the new fitness and leisure facilities are now first class. We especially enjoyed the heated eternity swimming pool in stainless steel. What a statement!

Room Tip: A special treat is a room of the lake. Go for it every time!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is now the fifth time I've made the trip from New York City to stay at this establishment. This alone should tell potential guests that the hotel is a gem since it is worth five transatlantic trips! My own feeling is that the "hardware" of a trip is outweighed by the "software"--that is, even if there were something wrong with the physical building of the hotel (the "hardware") it can be more-than compensated for by the individuals manning the front desk, working in the restaurant, in the spa, etc. (the "software.") However, I find ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to criticize in either the hardware OR the software. During each of my visits I have been quartered in lovely "mountainside" rooms where a plate of fresh fruit (and bars of chocolate) beckon upon arrival. While some guests might complain that the rooms are slightly old-fashioned I have no complaint at all with them (and the hotel is closing for a complete renovation from November 2011 through Easter 2012 anyhow which should take care of any complaints about creeking floors or musty odors, not that I ever noticed either one.) The breakfast is generous in the extreme--all one can eat included in the room rate! And the quality of what is offered for breakfast is beyond reproach! But above and beyond the physical hotel itself are the people. NOTHING is too much to ask for. When I found that the Migros supermarket across from the train station accepts only Mastercard (and I carry Visa) and I mentioned this to the front desk staff in the hotel there wasn't a second's worth of hesitation before the offer was made "Please allow me to call the surrounding Migros in Thun and Interlaken for you to see if either one accepts the Visa card." There was nothing about "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," and then no action taken or "Why don't you look up on the web if any of the surrounding Migros take Visa." No, the individual at the front desk spun into action immediately without being asked. Attitudes like that make and break vacations and this hotel certainly makes the vacation!

The hotel has many facets which I don't use--I cannot rate the spa (never having used it as I travel to Switzerland to be able to make long walks through the countryside, not to be inside in a spa) and the restaurant, while lovely looking, is beyond my price range. I am a tea-totaler so the wine cellar is no draw for me. The hotel will pick up guests at the train station (and return them there, too, at the conclusion of their stay) but this is not a service of which I have availed myself as the hotel is an easy 10 minute walk from the train station. I always travel during October so I have not used the lake-side beach as the water in the Thunersee would be much too cold for swimming by October.

The hotel is not in the center of Spiez--for those who want to experience Spiez's night life (not that there is much of that, I don't think, since it's a quiet little town) the night life near the boat dock or in the center of town is about a 20 minute walk away. For those who want to eat out in town, again, it's a 10 to 20 minute walk to town. For those who want to use the hotel either as an oasis against the pressures of the outside world or as a jumping-off point for exploring the Berner Oberland I don't think one could possibly go wrong staying here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Newry
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed for two nights recently in the Belvedere Strandhotel & Restaurant and my stay was too short! I would have loved to stay longer and have time to take in the magnificient views from my breakfast table - a lake below and mountains in the near distance. The rooms were perfect; the pillow and bed wonderfully comfortable and, for someone who is 6 feet 2 inches tall, unusually long - my feet couldn't touch the bottom! The bathroom was spacious, with two sinks, and everywhere was spotless. I arrived late at night and although the kitchen was closed the staff immeiately arranged for food to be prepared and brought to my room. Likewise upon departure; leaving at 5.30 a.m. the staff again arranged a packed sandwich and fruit to take with me. All in all an extremely pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Madison, WI
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed for three nights and had a "mountain view" room. The room was noisy being above the kitchen and the tour buses loaded outside our room very early in the mornings. We did not get a good night’s sleep. I think the lake room views would be much better. The dinner meals were a lot more than we could afford so we cannot rate the meals other than the menu looked great. Breakfast was quite good, especially the coffee, and the variety of choices was the best we had encountered. There are plenty of places to dine in Spiez, so options are available. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms were quite large. The room, however, was quite warm and could have used an overhead fan since AC is not available. We did love the character of the hotel. The location was excellent and we could easily walk to Lake Thun and the marina to enjoy the view. The walk from the train station to the hotel was downhill so not a terrible trek. They were nice enough to give us a ride when it was time to leave - about three minutes by car uphill. The staff was first rate but we were left wondering why our room was not changed since there were other rooms available.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GnC4850
Northern California
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Great place! Definitely recommend. Wonderful breakfast with eggs/omelets cooked to order. This is more French speaking area of Switzerland. We walked about 7 mins. from train station on hot day. Staff very attentive to our needs and provided refreshing water. One thing we're getting used to in Switzerland: they don't serve drinks cold, just cool. And when you ask for ice, they look at you strangely. Anyway, we had a nice patio area and enjoyed our stay. Oh, floors in room were a little sweaky.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Huddersfield, England
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We stayed with our 4 year old son in a family room (#101 & 102) with excellent view across the lake and towards the castle. This suite is at the opposite end of the hotel to the conference centre and benefits from being quieter. Room facilities were as I would expect for the price. All staff were extremely polite and helpful and offered a lot of warmth to our son - not the indifference some hotels can give to kids. Service at breakfast and dinner was very good with again a good range for kids. I've noted some comments about the age of the building and I would say that the hotel has character (creaking floorboards and all). If you want a modern, sterile hotel then go somewhere else! We were given a lift both to and from the station by the receptionist as a matter of course. The hotel does have a conference trade but this did not interfere with our enjoyment. The town is a short walk away along a quiet street and the surrounding area is fantastic for families. Our son loved the lake ships, trains, cable cars etc. We would definitely return. We did stay at the start of the season and the hotel was reasonably quiet.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spiez
Hotel Eden
Hotel Bellevue au Lac
Hotel Bellevue au Lac
#1 of 2 in Hilterfingen
BEATUS Wellness- & Spa-Hotel

Been to Belvedere Strandhotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!