“Lovely Resort, Stay with Kelair!!”

Camping Sandaya Cypsela Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Pals
Bundoran, Ireland
“Lovely Resort, Stay with Kelair!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights with Kelair in a Mercure Mobile Home. The experience was lovely and the site itself is great.
We had three adults, (myself, my wife and my mum) and two kids (6 & 3) and the pool area (pool and slide), on-site supermarket and restaurant are perfectly adequate.
You can fly to Girona from Knock and then it is only a 1 hour drive to the site on a very easy route for novice car hirers.

Definitely recommend Marineland (aquarium and water park in one about an hour away), Estartit (beach with loads of car parking, fine sand, watersports and glass bottom boat about 10 mins away) and Parc D'Aventura (Forest climbing, zip line courses about 5 mins from park.)

Also would recommend visiting medieval village of Pertallada. It is beautiful and has a lovely restaurant called Can Nau. It was one of the only palces we felt welcome eating out (outside the campsite)

Only negatives would be the service in the restaurants in the area and the ignorance of people with regards to queue skipping. We ate in a good few restaurants and only felt comfortable in one or two. You felt like you weren't wanted or disliked in most places and I wasn't the only Irish person to express this opinion.

Room Tip: Stay with KelAir!
3 Thank Doogleman

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed on the site Cypsela in July 2013. A very busy period for the site, but the service was great! We stayed with Keycamp and the staff was very nice.

It was a shame that the staff did not know anything about the area, except for the courier called (Shermelee..?). She was an amazing girl and also introduced us to the courier-shot(shot she gave us at the bar). That is some customer service! LOL. We will keep in touch and hopefully see her next year Even my son is applying for keycamp or eurocamp next year.

We loved it so much and we will be back!

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We returned from 2 weeks in Cypsela last weekend (3 August). This is our 3rd visit in 5 years and this year there have been some changes - some good and some not so.

The camp is as clean and well maintained as ever, the shop well stocked and not outrageously expensive. The queue in the morning for baguettes and croissants was no different to any other site we have been to...

The new slide area is brilliant for the kids but the pool area was very crowded this year and even more difficult to get a sun bed (and there are still people reserving their beds early in the morning and not coming out until later afternoon!).

The new bar with bowling alley was good. We didnt use the bowling alley, but it looked good fun. The bar staff were excellent and very friendly.

The snack bar, disappointingly didn't serve food between 3.30 and 6.00... which would have been good. The Restaurant was still good, although a little expensive, I thought. The staff, like all Cypsela staff, were friendly, if a little stretched at times.

This year we booked direct with the camp - a 2 bedroom mobile home. The home was clean, if somewhat smaller than we were used to with Canvas (and only a hob but no oven), who couldn't accommmodate us for the period we wanted. The bonus was that linen and towels were provided and changed after the first week.

We just love Cypsela and will go back again I am sure. This year, the majority of fellow campers were Dutch and, unusually, many of them were very rude (not just to fellow holiday makers, but to the staff as well). An earlier review refers to teenagers going around in gangs, bombing and splashing at the pool - that was right, and it did make a visit to the pool (from someone who hates getting splashed!), a little unpleasant. To be honest, a bigger pool is needed.

However, that didn't detract from a wonderful two weeks. My daugher and her friend had a brilliant time, and my husband and I relaxed!

1 Thank Anita W
kill co. kildare
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Having just returned from Cypsela resort I can only advise people not to go as the site is overrun with out of control Dutch teenagers who can act as they see fit without any supervision. A peaceful day by the pool is impossible as these gangs bomb, splash and disturb all around as the lifegaurds look on.
The poolside bar staff are not the greatest as not once could they complete an order for food correctly and the evenings entertainment is at best a poor scene from father ted. The whole site lacks atmosphere and needs a complete overhaul. There are no way near enough facilities on site and the restaurant is both expensive and very limited in choice

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank 1ageingtraveller
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have just returned from Cypsela after a 30-year hiatus. I first visited Cypsela in the early 80s with my parents. I had fond memories of these holidays, so I decided to take my family there this year to see if it still ticks all the boxes. Here is my assessment for anyone considering a trip there.

I was excited to see if it had all the same charm I remember in days of old. Yes, the site is somewhat larger these days – it would be naive to think otherwise – it's probably 5 times the size to cater for how popular it remains. The facilities are still excellent, and there is little that hasn't been thought of to cater to your needs; a pub, bowling alley, kids clubs, Internet cafe, launderette is all on-site. The supermarket is still excellent, and remains very comparable, if not cheaper than others off-site. The site is extremely child-friendly, with the pool area, with the water slide being the focus of this in the day. There are lifeguards around the pool at all times, and there is security / Cypsela staff on hand at all times. The site is kept immaculately clean.

Noise levels are alright, there does tend to be an act on (band, disco etc.) on every few nights on campus, which can be heard, but doesn't go on too late. It is strange how a security guard walks the site each night to check on security (possibly local noise levels), when a disco is blaring out in the distance!

In terms of eating on-site; we didn't visit the restaurant, as someone else mentioned in there review, there are so many wonderful places to go off-site, we didn't feel the need to, but I can understand why people would want to use the on-site restaurant for convenience. We did use the on-site rotisserie (take away) on a few occasions, but we felt this was slightly expensive. The on-site snack bar is all right if you want a drink and a snack in the day. I am a coeliac (gluten intolerant), so I did struggle with the menu slightly in terms of anything to eat – I had a Caesar salad without croutons! The bakery, however, has fresh bread and croissants every morning – get there early, or queue for 5 mins or so.

Outside the campus, you simply cannot fail to be taken in by the surrounding areas; Pals and Begur are wonderful to visit, yes popular, but not overly busy (we went the last week of July). I would say this is still an area of Spain with many hidden gems well worth site seeing. The beaches, including Aiguablava, Sa Tuna and Tamariu are best visited earlier in the morning, as you will struggle to find a place on them come midday. We visited Playa de Pals beach on a few occasions, which is good for children, and generally has a slight breeze, which is welcome in the heat.

I don't understand a few of the poor reviews the site gets, as it is still an excellent destination with children in mind. My only criticism, and this is why I rate it 4, not 5, is the pool area isn't big enough to accommodate the amount of people now wanting to use it. This is probably due to how much the site has expanded, whilst having only one pool area. I understand there are plans to add another pool area somewhere on-site, which will no doubt tease the overcrowding. There are also plenty of play areas for the children; one also has a large trampoline built into the ground.

If you are considering a visit here to Cypsela, or the area in general and you haven't been to this part of Spain before, I would certainly give it serious consideration.

5 Thank Martin B
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have just returned from this year's campsite holiday which must be number 10 at least. We spent a week in Torre Del Sol in Cambrils (actually a few miles outside Cambrils) which is a nice site but not outstanding. It ticks most boxes and we chose it for its proximity to Port Aventura. The criticisms I would make are that the pool is only open from 11 until 7 which is quite short in my opinion, plus you literally cannot get a sun lounger by 11.05. We were there in late June so it must be crazy in high season - you would think that the site would invest in a few more beds as I am sure they aren't that expensive. Our pitch was really huge but it seems to be a matter of luck as friends of ours had a tiny pitch which was far too close to the neighbouring van.

We then moved to Cypsela which we had been on 8 years ago and remembered fondly. However the poor reviews on Trip Advisor and the average rating in the Keycamp brochure made us a bit worried. We had no need to as it was fantastic - even better than we remembered. I really don't know what the naysayers are hoping to find on a campsite - they must be impossible to please. The pool is really big and the slides and the diving board kept my 11 year old son very happy. Indeed the pool was so inviting I even went in myself most days which I wouldn't normally do. Lots of sunbeds, beautiful flowers around the site, friendly staff and a great shop which was really cheap. The ten-pin bowling alley was fantastic and not something I have seen on a campsite before. My son said it was the best holiday ever and my 16 year old daughter loved it too. Hard to think of a down side, but if I had to give any comment which was less than 10/10 it would be that the restaurant wasn't brilliant but there are so many gorgeous places to eat in the surrounding medieval towns that you are spoilt for choice.

We have booked again with Keycamp for next year with a week at Playa Montroig and then 10 nights at Cypsela. Only another 350 days to wait.................

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank mhoey
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

my husband and I stayed for a week at the end of June/ beginning of July - it was our first visit to a campsite abroad so I've nothing compare it with, all I can say is it was the most relaxing holiday I've ever had and my husband felt the same, lovely refreshing pool, great beach which we walked to with no problems at all (turn left out of the front exit and carry on straight past the ceramics shop till you get to the traffic island at the spar, take the right fork past niff niff pizza and keep going past interpals camping, you'll see a little street with souvenir shops on your right this leads to the beach). We came with thomson alfresco and stayed in the new piccolo chalets - highly recommended for a couple or small family, we self catered the whole time we were there and although the kitchen was small i enjoyed cooking with a glass of local rose in hand while chatting with hubby through the open window to the deck area. The supermarket is top notch, the bakery excellent and the staff friendly - we're not ones for "entertainment" so didn't go - we could hear it from the chalet but it didn't disturb us in any way - there are some lovely walks/cycling near by (go out of the front exit and turn right then turn right again and follow the road past the adventure park - just keep going through beautiful scenery and farmland) we booked our flights with ryan air and our transfers through zip transfers - again highly recommended - zip were there waiting at 3am for our trip home - very professional drivers i wouldn't hesitate to use them again or to book cypsela again - a lovely quiet holiday in a beautiful part of spain

Room Tip: if you're booking a chalet try to get one as far from the pool area as you can as it's quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theharrops
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pals
Aparthotel Golf Beach
La Costa Golf & Beach Resort
Camping Playa Brava
Camping Resort-Bungalow Park Mas Patoxas
Camping & Bungalows  Interpals
Camping Castell Montgri
Camping Castell Montgri
#2 of 42 in L'Estartit

Been to Camping Sandaya Cypsela Resort? Share your experiences!