This was our eighth visit to this perfect location. We prefer to stay in the cheapest rooms with a sea view. These are as close to the beach as you can get and we slept to the sound of the surf.
Breakfast is very good - plenty of fruit, breads, cakes, meats and tomatoes to make your Catalan tomato bread.
We ate in the restaurant on our first night. We ate the menu and the food was excellent. Unfortunately, everyone arrived at once and the staff were not able to give everyone their attention, but two lots of 'amuse bouche' arrived with the apero and we were happy. Although not on the menu, we asked for a cheese for our dessert. A choice of good cheeses was provided.
A new outdoor seating area has been installed since our last visit and this was right outside our room. The downside of this is that some guests sat out until 1am talking loudly.
This was our first visit this year. We had tried to book for February, but the hotel was closed for the winter (2012-13). We enquired about plans for closure this coming winter - "never again will we close" was the reply, so we'll be back soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Legacy Hostal Empuries stands on an ancient settlement, beside the Greek and Roman ruins of Empuries, whose beauty and tranquility attracted the Iberians as much as the Greek seafarers and the first Romans who settled the Iberian Peninsula. Moreover this is the place from which the mythic country of Emporda took its name. This privileged location is the actual cradle of our culture and the only Greek and Roman archaeological site in the whole peninsula. Consequently, to protect and enrich this legacy is one of the main objectives of the Hostal. The History The original construction of Hostal Empuries appeared in 1907, under the name of Villa Teresita, with the idea of giving lodgings to the first archaeologists, who directed by Puig i Cadafalch, set out on the job of excavating and restoring the Greek and Roman remains. From these historic beginnings the Hostal changed at the start of the 20C and became the precursor to touristic lodgings in the area, even before the use of the term Costa Brava. Years ago there was a change of management in the Hostal which undertook to finish extensive reforms with the idea that activities should flourish throughout the entire year and that the badly run-down site would be restored. With the same pioneering spirit of the ancients and the ability to responsibly and sensitively modify this magical spot, alongside the exacting requirements of the modern tourist, the Hostal is really striving to transform itself into a new reference point, a new model of tourism under the name of Sustainable Tourism, founded on social and ecological responsibility. The spirit The new Hostal Empuries is a project based on the idea of improving the world in which we live and share so that future generations might also enjoy themselves. We would like to become the best Hostal for our world... for a world where we all belong and for the Earth that surrounds us. Accordingly, we take our responsibility for managing this site very seriously and we endevour to serve all those who come to enjoy this encounter with nature and history of which we proudly form a part. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Prestigia, Cancelon and Priceline so you can book your Hostal Spa Empuries reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Empuries l Escala
- Hostal Empuries Hotel l Escala
- Hostal Spa Empuries Spain/Costa Brava