“Most Enjoyable”

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Cambrils
Southampton
“Most Enjoyable”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed for a week in May and found the hotel was excellent. Not quite sure why people are complaining about having an air con system that comes on (would you rather have nothing?!) or the décor which we found fine. Guess what: people in other countries have different tastes and fashions to those here in the UK. Who'd have thunk it?! The food was fantastic, plenty of choice and loads of it every night. We had a seaview, which was slightly blocked by a couple of trees but to complain about trees in the way is really churlish.
The comment about not being in Cambrils is technically correct but who would know where Vilafortuny is? I'm sure this happens with plenty of other hotels etc, they use the nearest main town for their address.
The hotel itself is right on the beach, something of a rarity in Spain according to our holiday rep whilst the staff were most helpful. The bus stop outside was also useful in order to get to Salou or Cambrils.
We didn't use the spa facilities but it was nice to know that they were available whilst the pool area was nice and clean with new loungers. All in all, most enjoyable.

4 Thank Tongo79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

As the title suggest I found it one of the best hotels I have stayed at. I paid extra for the third floor, I was at the rear facing the road but on the veranda the noise was not excessive for me and at night it was not audible. We did experience a degree of noise from children next door on occasions...but you are in a holiday hotel and will tend to get that....no late night noisiness, so sleep was never disturbed.

I found the food choice as good as I have ever experienced in both variety, quality. and quantity, and as for those who complain that the food is not hot enough, whilst there is some credence in this it is so well cooked and tasty that for myself and my wife it was never a problem. I find it is mainly those in our country want piping hot food. The dining experience was good for us, lots of different food stations so even when busy you were not in a long queue, the food stations had relatively small trays of food indicating that the late diners would not be offered food that had been there for hours. There was of course food being cooked as you watched , mainly meat and fish as well as chips, or fried potatoes of that nature. My wife is vegetation and had plenty to chose from however one tip for the hotel is to mark clearly, what food is vegetarian and what is not as it was difficult to tell with some of the fancy prepared items.

Some complain of the décor...it is very modern in style and minimalistic...but we liked it, and all the fixture and fittings and including the bed were of high quality. We did not use the spar or use the evening entertainment, so cannot comment. Prices at the bar and for wine at the meal I thought was reasonable for a four star hotel.

For those with mobility issues this is a perfect hotel. They will hire you a scooter, it cost me €70 for the week and you have direct access to the miles of promenade. Whilst the hotel is sited between Cambrils proper and Salou if you do not want to walk a bus top is directly outside the hotel and judging from my observations on my balcony seem to run ever 15 minuets or so.

The plus that I added to my title is for the staff at the hotel...it is what makes or breaks a hotel for me and my experience was from maids to dining staff to the hotel front desk everything was very professionally done and all seemed eager to help as much as they could. I will not hesitate to return next year.

Room Tip: If you want lots of room the third floor is the ones to go for.
3 Thank Don B
s.wales
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked this Hotel due to it being adapted for wheelchair users, the problems became quickly apparent, we were put in a room that was so small I couldn't even get in,( that is if you managed the small lift), we complained and were told that the hotel was full and unless we paid an extra 300 euros we had to put up with it, we went to see the rep on the following day and she was unable to sort this problem out for us, we felt as if she didn't even care. Outside they had so many table and chairs crammed in outside the bar area that I was unable to get through, next to them the sunbeds were everywhere around the pool so access to the outside was impossible, I just wanted to go home.
The hotel has just had an entire new floor built but has not allowed for the extra guests going into the communal areas like the restaurant it was so over crowded people were climbing over me to get to the food, they became like animals, my husband had to go and get my food for me(even though I didn't know what was their) it was like a mad house. I was so upset that we had to go out to eat, this was an extra cost of 60+euros per meal.
After the first week I had had enough of not being able to get in our room, I asked to see the manager, we told him what problems we had with our room, like magic he said they have adapted rooms, this would be free of charge as we had already paid for an up grade, we were taken to a room on the 3rd floor(the new floor)we were so happy that I would be able to get around that we said we would take it, when we moved in I sat there and said oh dear what would happen if there was a fire?........3rd floor no use of lift, only metal fire exit, we asked at reception what the policy was regarding this , the answer was oh we hadn't thought of that one opps !!!!!! we used to put the HANDICAPED on the ground floor but since the referb we put them up there, what a shambles.
Back to the restaurant they reserved a table for us with a sign saying wheelchair users only, on a number of occasions when we managed to get in we found able bodied people sitting their and had pushed the sign to on side.
Please do not use this hotel if you use a wheelchair, you will be expected to sit in the corner and have someone to do every thing for you, so if you value your independence don't go here!!!!!!!!!

5 Thank debbie h
manchester england
Reviewed June 2, 2013

stayed at this hotel 26 may to 1june. Hotel is clean,rooms are lovely, and pool area well looked after. Although you did have to wait in the mornings to get a sun bed at least it stopped people putting towels on beds the night before and arriving at them at lunch time.So dont get up too early to nab a bed. Food was excellent lots of choice something for everyone. Staff very helpful and friendly. A bit of a walk from camrils centre but bus stops right outside the hotel and you can get a travel card from travel shop across the road so each journey cost about 1.14. Walked into salou one day when it was a bit breezy and overcast took me an hour and a half.Overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ann B
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for two weeks in early May2013. Very modern rooms, we had a suite on the third floor which had two balcony's very nice bathroom and plenty of room. The hotel is right next to the beach so you have very good views from a sea view room.The rest of the hotel is very modern with good seating areas.Monica and Gianina on reception are excellent at there job, very helpful, nothing to much trouble. Plenty of choice of food but needs to be more choice for english guests, as the food is catered more for other nationality's. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: book a sea view room as you will have the best view.
2 Thank Heather807
UNITED KINGDOM
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There are a lot of nightmare rooms in this hotel which they are aware of but when you complain they fob you of with either denials or excuses because the hotel is full and until someone leaves they cannot move you.
We paid extra for a limited sea view to avoid the road noise at the front of the hotel and what a disaster that opened up.We were given room 1024 which turned out to be above the bar at least the noise from that stopped at 12.30 but what followed was hell.There was a ground floor extension under our balcony with a metal roof which houses coolers etc and after looking up to our room from the car park the next day, we found we had a large extractor fan leading from the bar to virtually under our balcony. The noise all night was 20 revs of a loud motor then eight high pitched screaches then silence for four seconds which repeated all night until 6o'clock in the morniing.On complaining we were told it was someones air con on random and it would be sorted,Next night same 3.30am down to reception.
At reception told the bar is closed no noise.Asked to change rooms but the hotel was full.Reported to Thomson rep who was also fobbed of.Found a maintenance man and took him
to the car park and pointed to our room, we then went to reception and he explained what they already knew.They apologised and said the fan would now be switched off.It was one night back on the next night waited in reception because an Irish flight were leaving at 6.30am to get a change of room.On leaving the maid informed us everyone left because of the motor..
Moved to room. 2074 second floor above kitchen extended metal roof and next to service stairs
to ground floor utilities. Nice sunny room.
On entering the room the balcony door was open wide the air conditioning was on and the room although it smelt of air freshner it also smelt of cabbage.We wrongly presumed it was cooking smell from the kitchen coming in the open balcony.Unpacked noticing lack of space due to a boxed in pipe in the wardrobe.Left for the day on opening the door several hours later the stench of sewage from the bathroom made you heave.Complained. told rain in the mountains, drains can't take it nothing we can do. Rep told the same.Funny thing was the rest of the hotel didn't smell apart from certain areas on kitchen side level 2.Eventually after using the public toilets as much as we could we complained again to be told that it had been a problem in some rooms on the kitchen side since the additional floor went on.We could move but not for four days two days before we left. We actually spoke to the Irish couple who had been in the room before us and moved because of the smell ,only four doors down but fine, We think the sewage from the top floor is conected to the second by the pipe in the wardrobe that is directly behind the tiolet/Shower ..Plopping noises heard from wardrobe pipe plus kitchen drains unable to take new extra floor .
This holiday was an endurance test and to add insult to injury on leaving we were asked by one of the people we had been complaining to if we enjoyed our holiday .The answer of well five nights without sleep and the smell of sewage NO!, was met with "nothing is perfect " and then chipped in by the Russian receptionist."no nothing is perfect in this world"
We were left dumbfounded.
If we had been in England we would have reported this matter to the enviromental health department and moved out.

If this hotel stopped using the problem rooms and sorted out the sewage problem it would be fine
but if you do get a bad room and the hotel is full it is like trying to escape from Colditz.

Room Tip: .Lets hope they sort out these problems quickly.Avoid rooms mentioned above Top floor probably only...
10 Thank AC W
wales
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Have just returned from the estival centurion and can't believe I missed other comments on the food temperature! We have stayed at lots of hotels, Spain and elswhere, and never really had an issue with food, indeed Spanish meals are a highlight of our stay, with lots of fish and chicken cooked in various ways. This hotel has recently been refurbished and is done in a very contempory style and I think maybe this is the problem, there is lots of ceramic dishes and they are sitting on an electric hot plate but they just don't hold the heat. I hope someone tries to sort this out, we did try to make it known in the dining room but the manager does not speak english and is indifferent to problems, not really sure what his job is, but his staff are very good and work hard and are very friendly.
The position of the hotel suited us, nearer cambrils and it's lovely marina and restaurants and lots of little shops. The hotel is right on the beach and you can walk in either direction for miles along a promenade.
The hotel is quite strange in its decor being more like a private hospital in the corridors, on our floor there were some strange white items..wispy plastic sticks over six feet high..why?? The lobby is very minamilist which results in too much space and not enough seating if the guests want to stay indoors, and as someone mentioned the bar is large and very cold and unwelcoming. So much money has been spent in the refurb of this hotel its a pity the comfort has been sacrificed for the look!
Just one other warning if you get a room by a chimney outlet don't be fooled into thinking its the sound of the sea you can hear! We did the first night until I realised the next day as sitting on the balcony the wall was vibrating with the roar of it!
So if you are reading this at the hotel please take note and sort out your food temperature, it's letting down the hotel quality.

4 Thank blover