“Kids love it, Adults tolerate it...”
Review of H.TOP Olympic

H.TOP Olympic
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Spent 2 weeks in august. The rooms were the smallest we have ever slept in, four single beds crammed into a two bedroom apartment, we had to put one of the chairs and bedside units out onto the balcony to make space.But the rooms were cleaned everyday!
The Resteraunt was always buisy but this was not a problem as the staff kept the food well stocked, kids loved the deserts they were brilliant.
The Big-pool was clean and well supervised with a lifeguard always present, didnt use the front pools as everything you needed was around the Big-pool.
Evening entertainment was a bit of a letdown :( but the kids liked it which is what its all about.
The bar it just a total joke, constant queing for no reason got a bit annoying. The reception staff were great they had a lot of time for our daughters and went out of their way to help you.
For what you pay I think this was value for money but won't be back unless they sort out the bar issues(hic).

Room Tip: Rear balcony a must..The Higher the better due to cigarette buts etc falling from above, also views...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed 5/09/12 - 13/09/12. I booked this hotel after seeing all the reviews with the idea that you can't please all of the people all of the time and therefore I would see for myself and as it was only £220 for 8 nights all inclusive & I would put up with the niggles people had for this hotel.
On checking in i was given 7th floor & as I don't like heights I asked for a lower floor & I was given 2nd floor the friendly receptionist was very pleasant & did say that floor could be noisy but I didn't care. The room was dated but clean, there was a mark on the curtain but so what. I personaly found the bed to be rock hard which for my back is not good. The walls are paper thin & yes you can hear people next door, we must have been lucky only got woken twice in the week. Rooms were cleaned daily with towel changes by a pleasant maid.
The food was good with lots of choice & something for everyones taste, yes it is mass produced & buffett. so not all was piping hot, there are microwaves at almost each corner.I smiled when I saw the bubbly (fizzy wine) & cake that you can have every morning with your beakfast. I can't understand the bad food reviews, I'm a fussy eater and I put on 3lbs in weight so can't be bad.
The bar system wasn't too bad during the day,we didn't use the bar in the evening, as for the drinks being watered down, the beer is fine, I drank baccardi & couldn't tell, maybe a tad watered down still managed to enjoy though. The cards that you have to use are a pain but just about tolerable.
The waiters work hard, so yes they do look like they need a holiday. Give em a smile they smile back! I never found them to be rude & nothing but polite, there was one waiter that was a bit solemn but if I smiled at him I got one back!
The pool had lots of people& kids playing with inflatables with no problems.
On the whole we had a nice holiday, the hotel is a stones throw from the shops bars etc,
the staff try hard. The hotel is clean. I'm a houeskeeper in a nursing home & have strict hygiene controls and I expect cleanliness wherever I go away. My home is clean so don't believe other writers that this hotel is dirty and only people that live in filth would like this hotel.
Overall, we had a nice time and I would return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kayastbury
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My family & I stayed in room 310 from 05/09/2012 to 15/09/2012. The room was very small for the three beds we requested, we had to request furniture & a cot be removed as soon as we got the room. There was a water leak from a wall behind the toilet in the bathroom, I forcefully complained in order to have the leak fixed & the next day it was done. The bedding was changed once in the ten days during our stay, we received fresh towels daily, we politely asked the cleaner to clean the floor every day & it was done. The beds were old & dirty, the room looked dated, the floor was dirty. The bathroom was dated & dirty. The hall way outside the room smelled of insecticide or cockroach spray. The canteen area became very busy during the last hour of breakfast from 8.30am to 9.30am & during the last hour of dinner from 8.30pm onward. There were lots of guests bumping into each other around the cramped buffet bar area. I felt the tables & chairs were dirty, the dining tables & chairs needed a good clean or to be replaced. Their was very little choice on the buffet bar if you were a vegetarian or were unwilling to eat pork, beef or fish. The milk is watered down. Some staff in the dinning room were unwilling to explain what the foods contained and not enough thought went into the displays on the buffet bar, you could not be sure if you were eating beef or pork or fish or chicken. The head of the canteen was very helpful, he's the one wearing a bow tie and black dinner jacket & white shirt. Some reception staff were helpfull with our requests & questions, whilst others were clueless & useless. I read a plaque in the hotel, I reckon the hotel would have been rated a 3 Star hotel in 1990 upon opening, however in 2012 the facilities & the outdated look & the general feel of the rooms, makes me feel this hotel is a TWO STAR hotel at best, I also visited other H.Top hotels in Calella, Lort de mar, & Santa Sussana, the Four star hotels are much better. The street outside the hotel is busy with noise from 7am to 1 am, there is a underground nightclub 25 meters from the main entrance of the hotel, fridays & weekends were the noisest nights. I would stay here again but only on a B&B basis. The beach is a 7 minute walk away. We were told not to bring food or drinks from outside into the canteen. You also will have to pay 1.30euros for small bottle of water, when a local store called Dia has low cost bottled water & snacks for less than 1euro. My guess is that if a hotel has dirty rooms they probably do not keep the swimming pool clean, the hotel has four pools, they were always busy from 945am to 5pm. At least you can walk to the train station and go to Barcelona.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or just stay here on a B&B basis
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were not expecting the hotel to be as nice as it was,due to other peoples reviews.We found the rooms to be more than adequate[although a bit dated]and bedding and towels changed regularly. I was worried about what the food would be like as others had written such bad things about it [ I'm a fussy eater]but i found something edible at every meal although a bit repetitive.I think some people are expecting 5* accommodation at 3* prices. I will agree with some of the reviews regarding bar staff they are at times rather rude and could do with some customer service training.

Room Tip: Higher floors and sea view rooms a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

hi i have just returned from the h top.stayed 3 nights, 4 days which was long enough.went as a group of 6 girls, they put 3 in a room, the room was a double then they put a very small bed on the end.tv had 1 station, no fridge, very noisy and we were on the 6th floor.
the food is a complete joke.breakfast if u can call it that was always cold.freezing fried eggs n beans.the drinks were the best joke u had 2 take ur glass back every time u wanted a drink, and also ur card 2 swipe.the spirits tasted like pop no effect whatsoever.we paid 30 euro 2 keep our room on the last day and they still stopped our ai at 12 noon,even when i challenged them, they said it was policy.miserable staff no customer service, no smilesall i can say is never again, hotel shabby and dated with loads of ants.entertainment abismal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I read these reviews before I went on holiday and thought it couldn't b that bad...... It was worse!!!! Where shall I start! I went knowing it wasnt going to be amazing,u only get what u pay for (cheap girlie holiday) but it was ridiculous the fact that u are only allowed 1 drink per person at any time was a joke, u get 2 cards upon arrival, 1 of which is ur all inclusive pass (needs to b scanned for every single drink and every meal) and a card which u exchange for a glass for ur drink. The whole system prevents u from getting drunk! All the drinks are ridiculously watered down and the service is by far the worst I've ever experienced. THEY DO NOT LIKE ENGLISH PEOPLE. I am not rude I have very good manners but this does not help, u get fed up of saying pls and thankyou when u continuously get bad tempered men throwing ur cards back at u, if only I could understand Spanish! The rooms and hotel where actually very clean and tidy which was the only good thing about this hotel. U can't smoke around the pool there's a designated smoking area. Annoying! Food was terrible. There was no entertainment at night. I have just returned from a 5day break and I could honestly say I'm so glad to b home, I felt sorry for the ppl staying for 2weeks! We spent every day at the beach and learned just use the hotel to sleep in. The beach near by is very nice. White horse pub was good. I just think that the town must be used to having horrible groups of loud and roudy English people because they certainly never gave us a smile let alone a chance us a chance. Bottom line GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND PAY THE EXTRA.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the second HTop I have experienced and shall not be booking ever into a HTop again.
To be strictly honest I am a trip advisor reader and advisor so I did look up this hotel and read some concerning stuff but booked a three night four day trip to Calella in the Olympic Hotel with friends, I wish I had took notice of the past comments.
The hotel is well dated and in desperate need of a update, I am not one of these people who pays very little and expects the Hilton I do adhere to given places a chance, hence why I decided to go with the flow and take the chance.
So going back to the rooms the beds were old and our friends bed had cigarette burns and the room smelt of stale smoke, not a nice welcome however we carried on.
The dining facilities are not up to standard the food was cold hence the need for a number of well positioned microwaves in the dining hall also there was not alot of choices.
The hotel was clean which made us decided to put up and continue our holiday with going out for our meals We totally recommend PAPAS for food, drinks value for money and free entertainment.
The town istself is very nice and the people are welcoming, but the hotel is best avoided until it is revamped.

Room Tip: We met others and chatted whilst there to which they all commented they would not be returning to th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vodkamonster666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calella
H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa
#17 of 19 in Malgrat de Mar
H.TOP Royal Beach
H.TOP Royal Beach
#77 of 124 in Lloret de Mar

Been to H.TOP Olympic? Share your experiences!