“NICE HOTEL FOR GERMANS”

Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“NICE HOTEL FOR GERMANS”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Spotlessly clean hotel rooms bathrooms etc balcony was a joke no room on it what-so-ever view from it was odd angle of hotel and bin area.No tea making facillitys no tv controls although you don't go on holiday to watch tv although it would have been nice to check on weather, most staff were helpful apart from sour faced dining room staff who would have turned cream sour if there had been any,and as for the food ive given better to dogs it was barely warm what I considered edible which was chips every evening with nothing much more eatable to go with it and breakfast beans and toast it was.This hotel caters for germans and not much moreso why its got a trip advisor certificate for the dining room is beyond me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GHT_H0tels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at GHT Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Elisabetth,
Thanks for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor.
We try to cater for all nationalities, I apologize if our menu didn’t covered your expectations.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just come back from a 4day stay at the Hotel Maritim. Firstly the positives of this hotel,great location close to the beach and shopping area's as well as the train station. My room 108 on the first floor,was basic in the decor and furniture,but very comfortable and spotlessly clean,would of been a nice touch to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room which in my opinion would of made the stay much more comfortable, the balcony is a joke with only enough room to stand and looking straight over a bin area and building next door would'nt of been so bad if we could of actually used the balcony to sit out on,what is the point of a balcony if it can not be used, tv required remote control which along with fridge and safe all incurred extra costs, hotel reception staff mainly very polite and helpful, outdoor pool a bit on the small side but clean and next to the bar,also the indoor pool area was very nice with a separate Jacuzzi and infra red sun beds ( very relaxing) ,there was a massage room and sauna as well but incurred charges for there use. Now for the nitty gritty, having read up on other reviews about the food and bearing in mind i'am not a fussy eater, i was very surprised to find the food not very warm no matter what time i ate and quite frankly disgusting,it was varied but of very poor quality, tasteless and unappetising, there is absolutely no chance of getting anything near a decent english breakfast ,bacon and sausage disgusting on a plus though they did beans, you do not even get a free glass of water with your meal, this as well as other beverages had to be purchased and believe me, you need a drink to wash the food down.Dining staff i found to be very stern faced and unwelcoming also slow to clear and set up clean tables.My transfer out was at 4'o'clock in the morning and got a prompt 3 am wake up call as requested only to find the room had no electric and had to wedge the door open for light to see what i was doing,when asked at the reception there seemed to be a sudden lack in communication and understanding in what i was saying so didn't get much of a response or explanation. Over all what was to be a cheap get away,turned out to be quite expensive with having to eat out,would i stay at the maritime hotel again,yes but room only.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room if you want a useable balcony,(costs extra).be wary of your board basis.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 4Deborah
GHT_H0tels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at GHT Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Deborah,
Thanks for your comment on TripAdvisor.
We really appreciate your feedback; it will definitely help us to improve.
There’s a misunderstanding regarding the tv remote control, you don’t have to pay it, you just have to give a deposit, once you will do the check out your money will be returned. We do this because a lot of guests think that the tv remote control is a present from the hotel and take it home. Thanks for your understanding.
Hope to see you soon!
Scotland
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just returned from a recent stay in the hotel it was in a good location, clean, the beds were comfortable, food was ok and we had a pleasant stay up until the morning we left. I was on holiday with my cousin and my elderly Mum who is 80 and I arranged with the reception the day before departure that we could have an early breakfast at 7.15am as we were being picked-up at 7.55am. We went to the dining room in the morning as agreed and the waitress who was setting up breakfast immediately ordered us to leave saying it was not agreed. My Mum had to take medication and needed to have some tea and toast before we left for the airport. I insisted we did not leave the dining room but the waitress continued to be unhelpful and delayed putting out bread and butter until she was forced to as the dining room opened at 7.30am. The confrontation with the waitress was a very stressful experience prior to departure and spoiled the end of our holiday. I would certainly not return to this hotel as I do not go on holiday to be stressed by the actions of some members of staff who clearly have no respect for the guests they are paid to assist.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 109 noisy and sea view spoiled by trees
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
I deeply apologize for the misunderstanding occurred. We always try to adapt our schedule to the guest needs; I’m so sorry if that time we made a mistake.
Hopefully you will give the opportunity to show you that this issue was an isolated mistake and that these kinds of things don’t happen in Hotel Marítim.
Best regards, and again sorry.
glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The location was very good, the food was ok, but sometimes not very warm,The hotel was very clean and the staff helpful and friendly, The main complaint I had was the room, 208. When we booked our room we were quite happy to have a street view, rather than pay more for a sea view, The day after I booked ,I asked for a walk in shower as my husband had recently had a hip replacement, and didnt want to risk climbing into a bath, As he is not able to walk too far some days, we thought that weather permitting, we could sit and read, on the balcony, When we were given our room, it had a walk in shower , which was great, but no balcony to sit on , only a very small verandah which one person could stand on, The room was at the side of the building looking into the side of the hotel next door and rubbish bins ,no place for us to sit and relax in the room, apart from the end of the beds, So instead of a relaxing holiday, we had to go out all the time just to get out of that uncomfortable room. This was not ideal for my husband, ,but we could not afford to pay more I would also like to say that at no time were we told that if we had a walk in shower, we would not get a room with a balcony

Room Tip: make sure you dont get room 208.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GHT_H0tels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at GHT Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Sheena,
Thanks for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor.
I deeply apologize for the inconvenient that you had with your room. I recommend on your next visit to communicate the hotel, in advance, your wishes and needs. We will try to allocate you the best room according your needs.
Hopefully we will see you again.
Bolton,Lancashire,England.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Positives: good location across railway line from beach. Rooms basic but clean would have been better with double bed. Reception, bar and restaurant staff very helpful and friendly.
Negatives: food in restaurant bland and repetitive. Drinks in restaurant expensive €1.30 for a small bottle water. Area and hotel predominantly German & Russian only managed to find a couple of English bars a short walk away. Hotel very strict on policy of taking food out of restaurant which I felt unfair if you had paid for it. Strong drainage/sewerage smell in bathroom on return in afternoon which seemed a common problem on top floor, pitied those that didn't have a window to open in the bathroom. Would have appreciated tea/coffee facilities in room everything extra was chargeable - safe, tv remote
Overall it was ok but not sure I would return.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Neiland,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. It's a pleasure to know that overall you had a good time with us.
We hear all your comments and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.
I apologize for the inconvenient that our policy of taking food out of the restaurant may bother you. We established this policy because a lot of clients used to take big amounts of food outside the restaurant in order to have a picnic later. I’m sure it is not your case, but we had to regulate this action establishing the policy. Thank you for your comprehension.
Yours sincerely
Bala, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

As a regular traveller, and expecting a good deal having read the reviews, we were disappointed with the room. We were offered one on the back with no balcony and right by the servants stairs with metal door. Our small window looked at the back yard with no view of anything except walls and stairs you needed you curtains drawn all day being at the bottom. I asked for a better room and got it but paid a extra 112 euros for the week. Why they put us in this one when there were much better ones empty is a mystery. This Hotel shows itself with a beach frontage but this is just a part of it very many rooms are inferior and looking nowhere only at each other. The food was good, the hotel was clean but there was a sewage smell on floor 7, this is where we ended up It came on during the night and a lot of residents had complained but nothing was done.
I would not stay there again as there are better ones close by.

Room Tip: Be careful with the room choice. Not many brits there mostly eastern visitors. May be almost too sme...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GHT_H0tels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at GHT Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Hans,
Thanks fo visiting hotel Marítim and post this comment on TripAdvisor.
I apologize for the misunderstanding regarding our rooms. We have different kind of rooms with different prices; maybe next time you will book a sea view, I strongly recommend this kind of room. I’m honest when I say that the views are amazing.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you once again!
Bath Somerset UK
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked this fairly last minute so was reasonably priced and we can honestly say it's one if the nicest hotels we've stayed in. Every where was spotlessly clean, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the location is perfect, with the beach literally over the road. Only a couple of minor negative comments which are: where as the roof terrace is lovely, it wasn't mentioned anywhere that the lift didn't go there and you had to go from the top floor to the roof via an outside spiral metal staircase, which meant as my husband is terrified of heights we were unable to enjoy this area. Also the food was lovely and plentiful for my husband but for myself a vegetarian who doesn't each fish, the choice was salad chips and pasta every night! but that does seem to be the case most places! Overall a great holiday and would definitely recommend the Maritim

Room Tip: we stayed on the 5th floor with a sea view, quiet from other guests.
Dear Chrissie,
Thanks for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. I’m happy to know that overall you had a good stay at Hotel Marítim. I apologize for the inconvenience with the roof top, we will take your comment into consideration for future improvements.
We are waiting for you at Hotel Marítim.