“Excellent value for money”

H.TOP Calella Palace & Spa
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked a last minute holiday for me & my partner, we wanted a all exclusive week in the sun without spending too much, we booked 4* top secret costa brava which wasn't quite allocate in arrival but we were told of our hotel 3 days prior to departure. Overall I would say this holiday was exactly what we expected. Excellent location short walk to both the small town and beach. Rooms nice 2 double beds, balcony overlooking pool, cleaned daily. System for drinks worked v well just meant there were no empty glasses everywhere, food was buffet style good choice of breads, salads, meat or fish typically for me I would have a bacon or sausage sandwich for breakfast, salad for lunch, grilled fish with chips or rice for dinner, wine on tap in restaurant and the red was v good. I can't imagine anyone would find nothing they liked, they catered the best they could for such a large quantity of guests. As others have said I would say 75% of guests were German teenagers and yes most v loud in the evenings and some rude but I certainly would not let them spoil my holiday. Overall I would say for a last minute week away it was good me and partner returned home with a nice tan, ate lots, drank lots and had a nice time, it really is what you make it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,014)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to have been conned by HTOP who describe this place as a family hotel. My family never had a full nights sleep due to the fact the hotel was besieged by 700 German students who overran the hotel like rats. They would descend on the bar, the Dining Room, the Sun Terrace en-masse which meant the staff could not cope with such large numbers and that families had to fight for seats. The Manager of the hotel was worse than Manuel off Fawlty Towers, the bar staff were rude, but then given the behaviour of some of the guests, understandable I suppose. The card system for drinks was ridiculous. Rooms were spacious with 2 double beds, cleaners were great. Food very basic. No way this is a 4 star, the week I stayed it was a 2star youth hostel at best. HTOP Management are conmen with absolutely no integrity if they can treat families in this way. Do not go to this hotel.

Room Tip: just dont go!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank liz t
Reviewed July 18, 2013

What can I say, well just got back after 1 week staying here, it was full of German students and rude guests! I went with my best friend and 2 daughters 16 & 19 the resort and beach was lovely, we had a fab holiday but only because we made it that way, I would strongly recommend if you want to rest at night and get some sleep then stay away, we only averaged 3 hrs sleep at night due to the noise of the young guests coming in at all hours. The bar staff are rude, reception not much better but the cleaners were lovely and rooms were spotless, the food was good enough to keep us going, drinks card was a nightmare but you just get on with it, entertainment was, well they tried but we went into Calella most nights to the beach bars. This is lucky if it is a 2* hotel 3 yr pushing it, I went to Corfu in a Thompson 4* in July and there was no comparison, so yes we had a fantastic time but no I would never ever return I don't go on holiday to be rude to kept up all night and if I had wanted a youth hostel we would av booked one. Be very careful what you pay we payed £298 for a week some guests paid up to £600 but I think if you pay anymore than £300 you have been robbed as it is not worth anymore! Oh and no lifeguard at the pool in you have small children. (WALLS ARE PAPER THIN YOU CAN HEAR EVERY LITTLE THING FROM NEXT DOOR!!!!!!! EVAN UN ZIPPING A SUITCASE!!!!! sHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RachelBartup73
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went here on a group trip in June... Hotel looked good when we entered, the staff is friendly, but when you get to the corridors leading to the rooms you see that it is really a run down and tired place. The room was clean, and spacious, also the bathroom- thats why it get two stars, BUT : PAPERTHIN walls - you could hear everything!! I can sleep through a bomb,( had to be wakened before cancersurgery- no pills ;) ) - but was kept awake every night, listening to people snore, puke and you could hear things from both way over you, and beside you...It is also a place where teens go to stay for a party holiday obviously....And the food...they use some bacon substitute, and the juices are purely concentrate...I think they had little fruits to choose from etc.. It is the worst hotel I have stayed in, and I have tried a few...Just dont go- find another!! Callela is a beautiful place and worth a visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank marithja
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay all inclusive. The hotel itself is not too bad..... Rooms are very large with 2 double beds and were spotless, hotel possition is excellent 5 mins to shops and bars and 10 mins to beach. The food at the start was good but got very repetitive and boring towards end of week. Hotel staff are so so.... Some nice some miserable! Entertainment at night is very poor and not worth watching! The big thing that lets this hotel down is the guests and by guests i mean german students running wild! No consideration for other guests when running and screaming down corridors at 4am! Very rude, pushing in front of ques not making way on stairs etc, can understand why some of the staff of miserable when they get no please or thankyous! Overall this hotel was good enough for what we paid, would i return? Probs not! Or if i did would make sure it wasnt the same time as the students had there holidays!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

stayed here for a week from the 26th june to the 3rd of july I found the staff very rude and ignorant had I phone 5 stolen and staff didn't want to no. Rooms were clean and comfortable but air conditioning only came on at intervals it was turned off at 12 and the hotel was full of youths who were very noisy which didn't help when the balcony door was open. The walls were very thin could here everything in the rooms next door. The food was poor my children could eat it so for all I was all inclusive still had to eat out most of the time found the food wasn't good for children. There wasn't much entertainment for children definetly wouldn't recommend the place and wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for a week between 27th June and 4th July,with my wife and 2 children aged 9 and 15, on arrival I was pleased with the hotel, the rooms were comfortable and clean, the staff friendly and the food was very nice, however on day 3 hundreds of teenage German youths turned up, and sadly the holiday went downhill from there. They were rude ignorant and intimidating, pushing in constanly and basically taking over the bar and communual areas, the last 3 nights were horrendous with said youths out on balcony playing music till 5am , shouting across balconies at 3 am and running around shouting and banging doors at 6am , this wasnt helped with the aircon being turned off at 12:00 every night and having to leave balcony door open slightly,it really is a shame , very disappointed as could have been a fantastic holiday

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep even only a couple of hours pick another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family