“Great value for money”
Review of Terramar Hotel

Terramar Hotel
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Calella
Reviewed September 23, 2012

ok...feel I should jump to the defence of this hotel a bit here. Let's put this in perspective. You've most likely paid sod all for your stay, it is what it is. Which is an older hotel, which is perfectly situated right by the beach.

It's clean and tidy and fits the bill of a cheap holiday in the sun.

if you're British and with a family, it's probably not the place for you - but that's reflective of the resort itself rather than the hotel. It's the Costa Brava (nearly) what do you expect?!

Me and my mate were more than happy with the hotel, so if you've paid £200 for your package, you'll be more than happy too!

Enjoy and take it for what it is!

Room Tip: Ask for a vegetarian picnic! Yummy cheese sandwich :) Room 412 has a sea view, awesome!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ChazMoz100

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My Fiance and I had this hotel offered to us after being overbooked by "on the beach.com". What sold it to me was the pool. We booked a standard room, bed and breakfast. After reading other reviews, I was quite aprahensive about it, however on arrival we found it to be exactly what we wanted. Please note that I am not criticising anything, I am just telling you what to expect.
Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the pool. The room is basic (but we knew this anyway, as this it what we had booked). It had twin beds pushed together with a cabinet on either side. The beds weren't the comfiest, but we didn't care much as the Spanish beer and the weather made us feel like we could of slept on a washing line! Bedding and towels were changed every other day, however you could put a sign on the door to say if you wanted it to be cleaned or not. The room also had a small wardrobe and a dresser table with a mirror and plug socket next to it. It didn't bother us that there was only 2 sockets in the room, as we only had our phones to charge, so we didn't use them much anyway.
The bathroom was clean, and had a bath and a shower. We only used the shower though. It wasn't really powerful, but what does that matter?? The balcony was spacious and overlooked the opposite balconies and pool. Overall the room was just what we wanted, basic and clean. My only negative about it was that there were no glasses or cups, so you couldn't have a glass of wine on the balcony (unless you bought your own of course).
The pool was exactly what we were expecting. Not too big or busy. There are 10 sun beds which were reserved very early (obviously not by us Brits!). We just sat round the table in the sun which was perfect. There were no kids messing about with large inflatables, no loud music. It was peaceful, and people were just there to catch rays and have a leisurely swim. It was a fresh water pool aswell so no stinging eyes or chlorine smelling hair. It was rather cold at first but was ok once you were in it. The sun comes round about 12 and stays till about 3. After that the pool is in the shade.The bar staff are lovely, polite and very helpful (Vera was our favorate).
We only had breakfast there, which was the same every day, but we made the most of it and it set us up till lunch time. There was cereal, bread, fruit, boiled eggs, bacon, ham and cheese....and some green stuff which seemed quite popular amongst other nationalitles, don't know what that was though. None of the food is labled though, so if you are going half board then you might want to ask the resteraunt staff what certain foods are. Get there early aswell, as it fills up pretty quickly. We were there for 8am on the dot every day.
In summary the hotel was clean and pleasant. Expect to see and hear people from many nationalities though. We found it quite refreshing, rather than being amongst rowdy footy fans, and stag/hen parties. I would personally say the hotel is ideal for couples and singles looking for a quiet get away. Be aware aswell that there is only 1 lift that holds 4 people. So if you're on the top floor then you may have to wait a while for the lift. We used the room to sleep in and get changed in. Everything you need is right on your doorstep or a stomes throw away.
The beach is 5 mins walk, and has plenty of beach bars and sports going on. *TIP* - If you prefer the more natural way of sunbathing then there is a nudist beach to the right, just under the lighthouse, about 10 mins walk. The sand is rather "stoney" though and quite rough, so i wouldnt reccomend you walk bare footed for long, however it did smooth out any dry skin!!
The resort itself is beautiful, busy, clean and everyone is polite. As its not really an English resort, expect many bar owners to not speak brilliant English. But so what?? Try and learn what "lager" and "the bill please" is in Spanish and you'll get on fine. Also get on the local beer "Estrella Damm". Its 5.4%. Plenty of bars and resteraunts around to cater for all tastes and all the shops are open till at least 10pm.
There is an English fun pub round the corner from the hotel called "Alcatraz", owned by a Man U fan called Jon. He and his staff are so welcoming and friendly. Thet sell British imported drinks, so these can be a bit more expensive. They play Bingo every night with large cash prizes and show all the sports. Their food is absolutley gorgeous aswell (again, all British imported). So please do pay this pub and its staff a visit. Just like the name implies, once your in, you can't leave.
The train station is about 10mins away from the hotel if you walk along the beach front. A return to Barcelona is 8 euros and it takes just over an hour. Get off at "Catalonia Plaza". This takes you right to the centre of Barcelona. We suggest you get an earlier train than 9am though as it was busy and we stood all the way there. Keep an eye on your handbags and wallets though as there are plenty of pick pockets around. Soon as you get off the train, there is a sign saying "beware of pick pockets". When you see this, don't pat your pockets to check which one your wallet is in, as the little thieving gits hang round this poster, see where you've checked your wallet is, then obviously help themselves to it. Don't let this put you off going though, just be cautious. Barcelona is a beautiful place awith plenty to see, however a little expensive. Our only regret is we didn't get the tourist bus which takes you to all the points of interest. We hope to go back next year so will do this then.
Apologies for the long review, but we hope you've found it helpful. Happy Holidays!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Fay M
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went with my family. 2 adults 2 children, 1 teenager and me (student). We had two rooms which were right next door to each other which was good as the kids could squeeze between the bars of the two balconies and come and go as they pleased. First impressions from the outside looks all 3 stars it promised. The reception area was clean and the staff had a basic grasp on english but that seemed to be about all (its a very german/eastern european and spanish area, so everyone had to speak either english or spanish) The hotel has internet access and even free wifi if you have your own computer/device. Our rooms were on the first floor so we never used the single lift that held only 4 people that served the entire hotel. We did hear that the hotel was being renovated from the top down, so if you're on the top floors this may not apply to you. Rooms were pretty dated but fairly large. There was only one plug the same one the tv was plugged into. Luckily we brought an extension plug,although we didnt dare leave anything plugged in unattended cause the plugs emitted sparks a few times. The lights made the rooms pretty dingy and the bathroom only had one strip light. Made everything look green and while the place was very clean it didn't really inspire any long soaks. Our toilet didn't work when we checked in and it took them 1.5 days to get it fixed, luckily we could just go next door to our other room. The one big issue was the lack of air con, there wasn't even ceiling fans, nor could you hire anything from reception. And it was so loud at night (binmen, motorbikes and bars) that sleeping with the balcony doors open was a nightmare. Also the company we booked through informed us that there was fridges in each room (my brother was on medication that needed refrigerated) when we arrived, no fridge and no ability to hire one. We went half board and although i always managed to find something to eat nothing really stood out as being nice, and the fussier members of my family ate next to nothing. Luckily there's a mcdonalds 2 mins away and a really nice italian opposite. The food wasn't labelled either so we probably ate goat without knowing. (food very german orientated). The pool area however was lovely if a little small, and only 8 sunbeds (not ideal) but nice and clean. Hotel was close to beach and there was lots of supermarkets to buy cheap bottled water etc. You were not allowed to bring anything bought from outside the hotel to the pool area which I personally thought was a bit much, as a botte of 500ml water was 1 euro 20 in the hotel but 1.5L was only 65 cents from the shops. Also my youngest brother only drinks robinsons summer fruits which we managed to find, and even though we were buying the hotels water to mix the staff would not let us bring it to the poolside (even though the hotel bar did not even have blackcurrant cordial of any kind) so my brother had to drink in the room. There was a nice english pub next to the hotel called Alcatraz which runs bingo, quizzes, karaoke, pool tournaments and all its food is british imported. The drinks are a bit expensive, but its a nice atmosphere and they show plenty of sport. (even the odd spanish or russian matches on request). The beach was made up of large grains of sand/ very small rocks and was sore on the feet, and there is quite a steep incline into the sea. 3 steps in and you're up to your chest. It was also quite rough. But there's lots to do, canaoing, pedalos, paragliding, banana boating etc. Overall we had an enjoyable holiday, but i wouldn't recommend it for young children, fussy eaters or people who cannot cope with heat.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have been renovated. Rooms on the front of the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Emmasilly61
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was a family holiday,two adults one 10yr old.the room was a little dated but clean,clean sheets daily also towels changed when you requested.there is no aircon in the rooms only in
public areas,It was very hot at night also very noisy so not good for sleeping.
The food was ok, we went half board,and found something enjoyable at each meal. The staff
were very helpful and polite throughout the hotel.The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the beach
there are plenty of places to eat or just go for drinks with-in a short stroll from the hotel.
I would not go back at this time of the year again as to hot but would consider later in the year.
this hotel was value for money you get what you pay for, not a lot of frills.

Room Tip: Try lower floors,only one lift for 5 floors which gets very busy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for my husband, myself, my daughter and her 2 young children. On arrival, as we checked in, the lift broke and we had to struggle up 2 flights of stairs with luggage and children. There was no help offered. The rooms are old fashioned and basic. Bathrooms are pathetic with broken shower and cracked sink. There were only 2 plug sockets, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. There were no hairdryers. My grandchildren were able to squeeze through the bars on the balcony to get to our room!! No air-con, and it was too noisy to leave the balcony doors open.
It said there was entertainment. Rubbish! There was kareoke one night a week and nothing for the children.
Food was tasteless and lacked variety. Same every night. We had to eat out alot.
We tried to change hotels with our tour operator, On the Beach, but were told we would have to pay at least another £600. We were so disappointed. These are only a few of the things we were unhappy about. Wouldn't set a foot near it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I wouldn't have picked this hotel if I had the choice but it was a five day school trip that I paid way to much for considering the quality of the hotel. I'll start with what was good. The hotel is very close to the beach which is fantastic, the swimming pool in the hotel was lovely and if you get a good room the balcony view is wonderful. The room was fairly clean, nothing particularly dirty that put me off but I hated that the room was not air conditioned and didn't even have a fan despite the 30 degree weather. I was quite upset that there was only ONE working plug socket in my room and the TV was plugged to that one which meant no TV if I wanted to plug anything but luckily for me, my room mate brought an extension cord which came in handy as we had many items to charge but at times it felt dangerous, The beds were lumpy and uncomfortable as were the covers so I was glad I brought my own. I enjoyed my time on the balcony until a family above me started acting down right ridiculous and started chucking water, and used tampons down. We complained to the hotel staff many time but they did nothing for two nights until a restaurant across the street finally called the police whom I believe cautioned the family. I'm not sure whether it was the same family or not but someone decided it would be funny to constantly knock on our door and run away and also prank call our hotel telephone.

To the worst part. The food was disgusting. Not at all accustomed for English guests. The food was bland and most of it looked like vomit. The staff in the buffet room was also rude and grumpy, in fact, they refused to serve my friend water at breakfast claiming it was only available for dinner! It was extremely frustrating. It was also expensive to use the computer service in the foyer; 50 cents for 5 minutes and 1 euro for 10 minutes. Couldn't

I was just glad to leave.

Room Tip: Dont pick room 135.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank plumcherrytree
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a nice hotel, with big outdoor pool and nice stuff. Hotel has very good locations, many of rooms have sea view, but they are very small, furniture is old. Food is strange for us, there is many meals and you can choose whatever you want, but the taste is not so good. There was a few Russians and they are pretty loud. But Barca is close to Calella and the beach is nice, and price...That is the best.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends