“So relaxing in a quiet corner of the Mediterranean”
Review of Hotel Calina

Hotel Calina
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Cadaques
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We came to Hotel Calina as it was right next door to Dali's house. The hotel definitely has a beach atmosphere, and is located on the beach, with a large pool. Port Lligat is largely a small beach, with a few beach huts serving food and drinks, as well as the Dali house, a major tourist attraction.
The rooms had a nice bathroom; we were travelling with a child, so had a third bed in the room; we asked for a double, but apparently, they only do twins, which we somewhat managed to push together and keep together.
The bathrooms are lovely.
There is a large balcony with lovely chairs, and they gave out on the pool area. It was fun to sit outside and still have your wifi connection.
There is parking, assigned to the room, so you are sure to be able to park one car per room!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Philip_Coppens

Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in one of the studios. It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is situated close to the Casa Museu Dali and offers an excellent starting point for a day trip to Cap de Creus. Cadaques is can be reached by a short, scenic walk.
The only backdraw is that the closest beach is small, shallow, pebbled and relatively crowded with too many boats parked in the bay. You can rent kayaks to sail to the nicer beaches or drive to other beaches in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tippytoppy
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Lovely clean hotel, staff excellent, super room with amazing view of nice big pool. Good breakfast plenty of choice and good lunch if required. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We booked a room with two beds in a studio apartment in Hotel Calina. The manager Isabelle confirmed this by email and yet when we arrived we were shown a dingy place with one bed and the cleaners hastily putting a sheet and pillow over one of the 'sofa' cushions that was basically a concrete base with thin cushions on top and which was supposed to be the second bed. They wanted us to pay 92 euros for the privelege of staying in this room which smelt musty, had little natural light, no view at all, and clearly not two beds. I complained and they showed us another studio (bigger and nicer but also musty smelling) which had one bed and a sofa bed but would be more expensive at 117 euros. We agreed on the basis that breakfast would be included in the price. Normally breakfast would be an extra 9 euros each. After an appaling night on the incredibly uncomfortable sofa bed we went for breakfast which was sparse and consisted of a few unappetizing croissants, cake, cocoa pops (the only cereal choice) and a few other bits including a plate which had several biscuits on it spaced out (as if rationed). Glasses were so tiny you could take a glass of juice to your table and after one mouthful had to go and get a re-fill. It was not long before we were being told breakfast was over. I complained to Isobelle about the bed situation as I had bairly slept a wink and she said well they had not had any other complaints and all she could offer was an even more expensive suite option. She then went on to disagree with me about my initial request for the two beds and went through her emails only to find that I was in fact correct and she had confirmed it would be two beds. She was unapologetic though and so we said we would not want to spend the extra money on the bigger room and would therefore just leave. She could see I'd had a terrible night by the huge swelling around my eyes but still she reminded us we had to be out by 11 so I barely had time for a shower (tiny towels) before we headed off to find another hotel. We finally got a 'sorry' by this point but she did not seem terribly bothered by it all. We did have a much better stay in the Hotel Port Lligat next door which was a room rather than an apartment but nicer and also cheaper. The location, staying near Dali's house rather than in Cadaques, was good because it was quiet and had lovely views of the bay. But both hotels were quite old-fashioned in their decor and we had the impression they do not have much competition in Cadaques because they get so many tourists to Dali's house so there is little pressure to improve their service. All in all I would recommend the hotel Port Lligat and would recommend staying clear of the Hotel Calina, even though it has a nice pool. Even if you do decide to stay, the breakfast was definitely not worth 9 euros and you can find lovely bakeries in Cadaques for a morning snack instead.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Marco Smith
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Calina from July 31st-August 4th-- and while it was a pleasant stay, the hotel was nothing extraordinary. A shame really because it is located right on the water in Cadaques. The rooms are clean but otherwise devoid of character; the breakfast is okay, but they served only cold items; and the coffee, which I would expect to be quite delicious was obviously instant which really turned me off. I have found that Spain normally serves some of the best coffee in Europe so I was really disappointed each morning to have to partake of watery coffee....On the up side, the staff (especially the ladies from Bolivia) were professional and courteous. However the front desk personnel certainly did not go out of their way to be helpful.
With all that said, I would still go back there mainly b/c of the location of the hotel and the fact that it has a lovely pool. I only wish the management would put a little more effort into changing the breakfast menu and updating the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We have stayed twice at Hotel Calina, once in self catering and the last time in serviced accommodation.

This a fantastic hotel, one of only two in a secluded bay right next to Dali's house. We go at the end of September and have the hotel virtually to ourselves.

After sundown the wonderful illuminated freeform swimming pool sprouts a fountain and the only other sound is the crickets. Idyllic!

Shortcut to Cadaques 10 minutes going down 15 minutes coming back up. Evening meals not served, but nothing to stop you taking meals back to your room or sit beside the water on the quay with an evening picnic and a glass of wine. No mosquitoes.

For the runners amongst us, great terrain for training and in October temperatures just right.

We have booked our holiday there again this year in serviced accommodation,flying Southampton to Perpignan and hire car from there. 30 miles closer than Barcelona.

Regards
Phil and Julie Stansfield

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2007

We spent one night there, last week. We arrived in the afternoon, without reservation. Our stay was OK, the spot is lovely, it's clean and the pool is very nice. It's a bit far from town though, about 20 mins. walk. The rooms are very noisy, you can hear the people in the other rooms walk as if they were in their own room. But overall we thought it wasn't all that bad.

Until we checked out and found out they charged us 24 euro for two local phone calls, totalling 8 minutes! I usually do not go very much into bills, just pay them no questions asked, but this just could not be right, there must have been some mistake. So I kindly asked for a specification. Immediately the female owner got very nervous and disappeared behind the computer in the back office. After a long while she called me inside the office and pointed to the computer screen to show that we had made a 21 euro phone call on the early morning of the previous day. This could not have been us, since we had arrived only in the afternoon of the previous day. When I pointed this out to her, she started to scream at me hysterically and her husband joined in. Both were at one side of me, yelling at the top of their lungs, in that small back office. It was a very threatening situation, extremely unpleasant. I stepped out again (shaking) and waited a long while. After about 45 minutes she came outside with a totally new specification, printed this time, completely modified. This time one call cost 1 euro and the other 23 euro, they said we used a special information number (a number which they had given me themselves) and that it cost 3 euro per minute. Which was a total lie, since before I called that number I listened to a tape stating that it cost 10 eurocent per minute. This obviously was a false specification but we decided to stay out of trouble and paid, since we had little children with us who had become very nervous because of all the hostility and because, on top of it all, it was my daughter's birthday.
This will go into history as the most unpleasant hotel experience I ever had. Note that I have spent my life travelling around the world, seen the insides of hundreds and hundreds of hotels, just came back from a 5 month trip around Asia in which I stayed in about 50 different places, never have I been treated this way.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family