Traveled first week of September 2013
Interesting phone call DAY BEFORE travel from Jet2 Holidays stating "Building work underway at hotel and will give you an upgrade to Half Board as a bonus".
Unfortunately one of the main pools had been leaking and emptied resulting in loud drilling and grinding all week whilst they replaced the pool tiles.
I would have preferred to defer my trip to when the work was finished but no thanks to Jet2 this was nigh impossible.
Discounting this building work, which was halfway done...
On arrival welcomed, offered a drink and asked to pay 350 Euros in case of any charges to the room. No problem.
It seems bizarre that most of the hotels services cannot be charged to the room?
The hotel has a really lovely spa, which given the noise, was well needed. This was in essence operated as a seperate entity from the hotel and no charges could be made to the already deducted deposit, thus cash or card.
The tennis/padel is a great facility but as the guy running it also runs another court off site, nobody was ever there to arrange racquets/balls etc. A walk to reception/call to tennis coach sorted this out but when im at a 5 star hotel I dont want to be chasing people who are busy on other sites. Also, yes youve guessed it, this is not chargeable to the room deposit youve already paid and is payable by cash only.
The buffet was so bland, its individually styled themes each night of indian/chinese/italian etc all seemed to taste the same as other nights. There is of course a grill restaurant which does a more tasty selection but this is not included and is chargeable to the room.
Breakfast buffet had great waffles/eggs/continental selection but the hot variety was overally very poor.
The service from the waiters was excellent and did everything they could to cater for you.
Nearby there is a nice beach with watersport facilities operated separately which offered a welcome distraction from the hotel, but otherwise a taxi ride into another time for anything rendering a reasonable sort of nightlife.
The room on arrival had 2 single beds pushed together which on request was changed to a double mattress.
The air con display unit was not operating correctly and just kept flashing with no read out, really annoying when you are trying to sleep with a bright blue light flashing in your room.
The light switches were tucked behind the fridge unit and some of the switches were not operating correctly.
The hotel is a lovely looking place but it has no evening entertainment on site worth any note. It has a pavillion/stage near the dinner area outside but is offset and feels isolated from the evening. The few bands/artisits who were playing made a big effort but were not really able to interact or perform in front of their intended audience.
Guests who wanted to dance and get closer had to stand in front and pull up a few random dinner chairs forming their own audience clapping. Hardly 5 star entertainment is it?
After dinner the artists would simply pack up and go home.
I would suggest the hotel radically needs to overhaul its entertainment as its pub level at best despite their good intentions.
There was a short fashion show around the pool in the daytime which was interesting for some of the guests but music played for it such as GARY GLITTER and YMCA and FREDDIE MERCURY really show how out of date things can get in Gran Canaria! This was to promote the little boutique shops in the hotel. I didnt see anyone buy anything from these shops and it definitely seemed out of date.
The on site Spar shop was obviously interesting for those self catering and was incredibly cheap.
Overall I would say this hotel has huge potential but needs to address its
1. Entertainment - whether for older couples/families or young couples this could be improved
2. Pool Bar - happy hour 6-7 isnt really enough to generate interest from guests and was mostly quiet despite the season not being at its highest
3. Buffet - more imagination needed from the chefs as some of the food produced in part was good.
4. Tennis/Padel - expensive/not included/cash only and no attendant present, needs improving and making more accessible
Definitely not a 5 star experience (excluding the building work issues) but staff were friendly and intentions were good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the Radisson Blu Resort, Gran Canaria. Perfectly situated on the southern coast of the Spanish island, Gran Canaria. This stunning waterfront resort offers ocean views and sandy beaches along three sides. The island itself provides a wealth of opportunities for enjoyment with picturesque towns, idyllic beaches and 32 Protected Natural Areas. Not far from the resort lies the quaint fi shing villageof Arguineguin, and the well-known Dunes of Maspalomas are located only 10 km. away.The island’s airport, Las Palmas Airport, is a 30-minute drive from the resort and popular tourist attractions like Palmitos Park, LasPalmas and Puerto de Mogán and can be easily accessed via the island’s high-quality road network. At the resort, guests can relax in oneof the 189 rooms and suites and indulge in extensive leisure facilities that include water sports, swimming pools, a garden, a tennis court, a paddle tennis court, a beach tennis court, a gym, a kids club and a full service spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Radisson Blu Resort, Gran Canaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dunas La Canaria Hotel Arguineguin
- Dunas La Canaria Arguineguin
- Radisson Blu Resort, Gran Canaria Arguineguin