“Happy Hotel”

Barcelo Corralejo Bay
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We had ten days at the Bluebay Palace during March - we had a suite which made a big difference in regard to the rooms as the ordinary rooms seemed rather small. It was spotlessly clean and the food was really excellent, something for everyone, and the staff all seemed to be happy - which these days definitely makes a change.

Very good location - a few minutes from the beach and also from the town - all well within walking distance. We would dinitely go back again.

3  Thank Hartlepudlian

Reviewed April 20, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times and have never written a review. I felt after this visit I would, as I was again extremely pleased with our stay.

This hotel never disappoints, it is excellent every time we visit, and in our opinion has to be the very best of a Canarian Hotel. We had one week here and then moved onto Lanzarote for our second week. We wished we had stayed for both weeks. It made our second hotel which was also a 4 star look very poor.

I had my birthday whilst at the Bluebay and was extremely surprised to find Champagne on ice in my room after a long day at the pool. It was a very kind gesture and really appreciated.

The cleanliness of the hotel is of a high level, just as I like to keep my own home. Rooms are lovely, food is ok, lets face you get fed up with all food when on holiday no matter where you visit.

If you want a nice hotel in the Canaries, then try the Bluebay, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank EastEnglandTraveller
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We had a fabolous holiday! The hotel was spotlessly clean and this continued thorughout the whole week. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful at all times. The swimming pools were beautiful and again kept very clean. We were very impressed with the choice of food both for breakfast and in the evening. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of staying at The Bluebay Palace.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiffany001
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here for a week in March 2009 - admittedly we have been 5 times before over the last 7 years but this is the first time since it changed hands.
We booked through Thomson and upon arrival could not get a pool view room - apparently we should have reserved this in advance, but despite emailing the hotel, and going to the effort to write in Spanish - I never received a reply. So we were offered a choice of rooms - the first overlooked a side street and the balcony door was broken - so that was not an option at all - so for a premium (70 euros) we settled on a corner, sea view room on the 3rd floor (at a premium) which is larger than the standard rooms and did have a lovely view and wraparound glass/balcony on 2 sides - which I imagine would be very warm if you have good weather......we unfortunately did not! We also asked to use the safety deposit box (another premium 20 euros). One of the evenings we suffered a heavy thunderstorm, thunder, lightning, torrential downpour and we noticed that we could hear running water above/in our room - we assumed it was the external (glass?) roof - the next thing 3 large water patches appeared on our ceiling, which got wetter and larger. The room was very draughty even without the inclement weather which resulted in the room being cold - when I mentioned these things to the reception they could not care one bit! I was very upset about the whole thing and particular the draughty, cold room - they offered me an extra blanket (?) but I explained that it was the room that was cold not the bed and asked if they could provide heating? Oh yes, for a premium - 16euros - but I explained that they had a duty to provide me with a room with comfortable temperature (be it heating or air conditioning) but to no avail - they're right and you're wrong - tough! As a professional businesswoman I was very upset to be spoken to by these 2 female receptionists and felt bullied! The hotel clearly receives repeat guests of whom we are 2 - but the staff only seemed to spend their time fawning over certain guests - the rest of us get treated with contempt and rudeness from the majority of the staff - even when I spoke in Spanish to the staff it did not seem to enhance their mood so I gave up. There were a couple of exceptions of the bar waiting staff who were very polite to us and all staff do work long hours. We were half board but only ate in the hotel 4 times, the buffet is vast and does offer a wide variety of food but we were keen to try local restaurants.
The hotel does provide evening entertainment (but not on a Sunday?!) and once it was finished the bars seem to empty - so you have a choice of being the only guests in the downstairs main bar or the only guests in the reception bar - and this is at 10.30pm?! We are no party animals! The reception bar is not very comfortable or relaxing and I think this should be updated. The hotel has changed relatively little since we first started going and I particularly felt that the communal areas could do with modernising (IMO). The pool areas were very quiet and there were plenty of beds to go around - even the prime ones that get unshaded sun all day - but they were not reserved at 9am and we came down as late as lunchtime and still managed to have the pick of the majority of beds which makes me wonder whether the hotel was full at all and whether we should have had to pay for a room with a view after all? The pools were advertised as heated but I saw a handful of people use them during our stay and they mostly complained about them being cold.
The hotel were offering a VIP club blue bay which is about 20 euros (yes more money!) per person per day and this gives you the chance to free drinks in all the bars and discount on the pool bar lunch menu - so I wondered if the hotel would eventually become all inclusive which seemed to be the style of the majority of the surrounding hotels.
I would recommend this hotel for any first timer but just be careful if you have to complain - keep your head down and don't expect a warm and friendly welcome from all the staff!

1  Thank teany
Reviewed April 8, 2009

For the past couple of years I have checked out Trip Advisor before booking any accommodation from a one night stay in the UK to a long weekend in Barcelona to a fortnight in Crete . So, if you have written a review, a huge thank you – our holidays have held fewer unpleasant surprises.
For my husband and I, holidays aren’t just about whether a hotel has 1 or 4 stars, it’s about the helpful, welcoming staff, cleanliness, good food and an overall relaxing experience. In March 2008 we stayed at the H10 Playa Meloneras Palace in Gran Canaria (see separate review), a holiday that my 53 year old husband rates as a 9 out of 10, so a difficult one to beat. While the Blue Bay Palace didn’t quite reach these lofty heights, they certainly tried and came close.
We arrived tired and hungry just after 9.30pm having spent 45 minutes driving around Corralejo stopping at other accommodation (why do we always seem to be last to be dropped off?). However, just as we got off the bus, one of the reception staff came out to welcome us and take our cases into the reception. We were greeted by a smiling receptionist who said that as the restaurant was just closing perhaps we would like to make our way down to the restaurant straight away and check in later. Once we had dined and checked in, we arrived at our room to be greeted not only with a welcome bottle of wine but a tray of cold meat and fruits which had been left for us in case we hadn’t arrived before the restaurant closed. What a welcome and what a great start to the holiday!
I don’t have much more to add to the other great reviews already written. The hotel is now 9 years old and became part of the Blue Bay Group 18 months ago however most of the staff are still there from when it opened. If you get chance to go on the hotel tour conducted by the Manager, then I strongly recommend it. We were particularly impressed by the kitchens.
The food was good although I don’t understand why veal was on the menu most nights, particularly when it wasn’t being eaten (50% of the guests are British).
In summary, it is a lovely, clean hotel with great staff and lots of facilities. Inflatables are banned (great if you don’t have kids) and the middle pool is heated so you can have a swim even in March. We used the steam room and jacuzzi but couldn’t have a massage together as there was only one masseuse. It’s in a great location, handy for the town and beach and we were fortunate to be there during Carnival week – a fabulous and unexpected bonus with free entertainment which I can recommend but wish that the tourist board would promote it.
Go to The Blue Bay Palace if you like a little class, peace and quiet but I can’t recommend it for children.

2  Thank Sue C
Reviewed April 7, 2009

This is a lovely hotel in all respects except for the food - both in terms of quality which was probably only just 3 star - and the fact that it was invariably luke warm !!

1  Thank Mike1wp
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We arrived Wed 25th Feb 2009 at about 1300 hrs, the reception staff were very efficient & our bags were in our room within 10 min of arrival,
The room was quite large with very nice bathroom, the sea view we ordered was a side view but still very nice, the room had twin beds as requested a mini bar & a free bottle of red wine, the towels were replaced every day & the room was cleaned to a high standard.
The general appearance of the hotel was very good, there was live entertainment every night but we went out every night for a drink to the local bars, the pool area was very nice with a selection of pools & spar treatments at a cost.
The location of the hotel is great, cross the road from the hotel then turn left to the beach less than 75yds, the beach has restaurants along the seafront as you walk into corralejo, the town has a very good selection of restaurants all at reasonable prices look out for COFRADIA DE PESCA DORES, Luis Espases is the front man for this restaurant & he is a smooth talker but the food is very good.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jmbjStaffordshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
H10 Ocean Suites
H10 Ocean Suites
#9 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to Barcelo Corralejo Bay? Share your experiences!