“Fantastic Hotel”

Barcelo Corralejo Bay
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed in the Barcelo Corralejo Bay from 9th of Oct. to the 16th. All i can say is everything about this hotel is excellent. The staff are very helpful and extremely friendly , especially Suzie on reception. The guy at the pool bar (sorry forgot his name ) was excellent , the staff in the restuarant always had time to say hello and a smile which to me goes a long way. The hotel itself is spotless and decorated beautifully , the rooms are a good size with the most comfortable beds i,ve ever slept in. The pools and outdoor seating areas are a little piece of heaven so relaxing .I could go on and on but it would take to long there are no negatives about this place as far as i can see. My husband even recieved a bottle of champers and a cake for his birthday as a surprise in our room which i thought was a lovely gesture.
The hotel is situated in a perfect area within minutes walk to the beach and bars, restaurants ect. We only had breakfast which was fab and spoke to someone who was halfboard and they said the dinners were excellent. I look forward to my next stay at this hotel and i am sure i will be returning for many years to come. Thanks to all the staff for making it a holiday to remember.

4  Thank Sharon C
Write a ReviewReviews (5,149)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We've just returned from a 3 week stay at this hotel; our 3rd visit this year. It became 'adults only' in May and it was interesting to see if this made any major difference. To be fair I think they are doing their best to improve the experience overall. Certainly the food was more imaginative and I felt more relaxed not worrying about small children running around the dining room. We heard that the rooms were being refurbished and whilst I understand the difficulties involved in achieving this in a 'year round season' it was a bit disconcerting to return to our room to find the shower had been replaced, in fact we went outside to check we were in the right room! A few days before we left we discovered the curtains had been completely removed whilst we were out for an afternoon walk. We heard a rumour that the amount of domestic staff had been reduced and there certainly werent the amount we have seen on previous visits but we requested an early clean and they only failed this 3 times. The one constant we were delighted to see was that David Castle still entertained on Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. How delightful to sit and relax after dinner listenting to this talented pianist. Overall a delightful visit and we will return.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter
6  Thank audreymunday
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Corralejo Bay - lovely peaceful holiday, just what we wanted. No loud music being blasted out round the pool and adults only! Our room was lovely and spacious with a partial pool view on ground floor, I was a bit worried that there might be a bit of noise from the dining room but my fears were unfounded. It is a shame that the beds were two singles pushed together rather than a queen or king, but they were exteremly comfortable nevertheless. The air con though was only just adequate, once we'd found out that the doors have to be lined up with the sensor and the button next to the bed switched over it was still a bit hit and miss, but this was probably due to the sun shining in the room nearly all day.

The big rush for sunbeds in the morning was a bit surprising but we always found one later in the morning, we found that the sun terrace always had beds and brollies available.

There was always plenty of choice for breakfast but the dinners did get a bit repetitive. We didn't sample the night life at the hotel so can't comment on this.

I would like to thank the hotel though for the bottle of bubbly and cake that they surprised my husband with on his birthday - it was a lovely touch, thank you.

Would we stay here again? - Definately!!!

2  Thank DebnDel
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here at the end of September for 1 week. We travelled with Thomas Cook and for once the flights were on time and the transfer went well. I know a lot of people complain about drop offs but we enjoy taking a look at the resort and it's layout and checking out other accommodation. We were very pleased with our choice. Check in was efficient and we were offered for our cases to be taken to our rooms but having left Manchester in appalling weather we couldn't wait to get to our room and get changed into our shorts and feel the sun so we took them ourselves. It's a big hotel but easy to find your way around. Everywhere is spotless. The the breakfasts were very good. All the usual fare and the chef would cook omelettes of your choice. We ate twice at the pool and even though we were too late one day the chef was very obliging and cooked for us! Certainly no staff complaints from us! Dinner was very good also. There was a lot of choice. Although not a veggie I don't eat much meat and some nights it was a little restricted for me but my OH who loves meat had loads of choice. Drinks prices were fair and not OTT. The hotel entertainment was a bit naff really but the PR girls tried hard and we didn't have a problem with them. They were only doing their job. We did enjoy a final drink in the lobby bar on our way to bed after being in town. It was a lovely relaxing time.
The location of the hotel is idea. Minutes away from the beach and main strip where you will find just enough in the way of shops and entertainment. It's commercialised but not tacky. The walk along the beach will bring you to Waikiki bar lovely spot to enjoy a drink with great views. Further along you will find the Banana bar with very cheap offers on drinks. It's upstairs with fab views. We also had tapas and drinks in the bar at the front towards the harbour. The PR guy is British and has the gift of the gab! He's very pleasant, interesting but not pushy.
In the evenings we walked into town and went to the Music Square but our favourite place the visit was the Rock Cafe. Always busy but never a problem with service. Excellent staff very friendly and efficient. Watch out for Michael the reggae singer. He's such an entertainer, even if reggae is not your type of music you will enjoy him and his interaction with the audience. Fun but not pushy. every night there is a live band and although we were upper age limit we loved it!
We did have some rain but after the summer at home it was no problem. First time in 2 years apparently! The locals were delighted to see it. The temperature at the time of year was in the top 20s t to lower 30s but the breeze makes it deceiving.
All in all we had a great time. A very good value for money hol and we wouldn't hesitate to return to Corralejo and the Barcelo.
We did email ahead about a month earlier to request a specific room and although we didn't get the exact room we requested we got one very nearby. Thanks to Gillybean for her advice. Much appreciated!

Room Tip: Upper floor with pool view and afternoon sun. Lovely!
4  Thank AnnHMerseyside
Reviewed October 17, 2012

could not fault this hotel great food great room great location staff very professional and friendly only problem stay in this hotel was too short will return as soon as possible.Big thanks to all staff for a memorable holiday see you all soon special thanks to Susi.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
5  Thank phyllis o
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here for a week towards the end of September and, whilst it has a lot to offer potential guests, there are, sadly, a number of bad points too.

First impressions were good. The hotel was immaculately clean and, indeed, throughout the whole stay, I was really impressed with the cleaning team. The layout of the hotel is attractive with curving staircases, plenty of seating, a fountain and plenty of plant-life around the room corridors. The location is also really good with a sandy beach just 40 metres or so away. Plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars line the beach and the main strip and the island of Lobos is just a short boat-ride away where you can hike or swim in the lagoons. Lanzarote is also a short boat-ride away. The hotel also has a free bus to the Sand Dunes National Park (9 euros for 2 loungers and a parasol - there is no other cover) and there is the Baku Water Park a short walk away. If you want to stay by the pool, there was no shortage of seating at any time during my stay (though I went out of season) and one of the pools is heated.

Rooms are adequate but single beds are pushed together which isn't ideal for couples who don't want to fall into a widening canyon between the beds during the night. I can imagine that some rooms nearer the evening 'entertainment' might be noisier but I had no problems during my stay.

Evening entertainment was rather weak and cocktails served at the bar there ranged from poor to adequate. There are certainly far better places to go in the vicinity. Daytime entertainment was mixed - I attended yoga sessions that were organised through the spa there and they were really well run but other listed 'entertainment' was bordering on the farcical. I had looked forward to an advertised 'fruit-tasting' (expecting to be able to try exotic and unfamiliar fruits from across the world) only to find that it was simply someone walking around with a tray of sliced orange, strawberry and kiwi.

The spa is excellent and well worth a visit. If you go half-board, you get a money off voucher but even at the usual price, the jacuzzi, sauna, turkish bath, indoor pool, shower labyrinth, free coffee etc. are, in my view, well worth a day-pass. Massage rooms looked well equipped but I didn't have any treatment so can't comment further.

Going half-board, I had breakfast and dinner included............ Breakfast was pretty much all I would want. There's enough there to put together an English Breakfast, continental breakfast, omelette or whatever you might need to fill up for the day. Dinner, however, never failed to disappoint. I am not sure whether the cooking staff aren't creative enough or whether they are just given such limited ingredients that the same, pretty basic (and often unappetising) stuff comes out again and again. During my stay, they tried to mix it up with 'themed nights' but, again, they fell well short. The Indian Night was the worst with no curry (possibly one bowl of 'masala sauce'), no chicken and no lamb and, actually, the same ingredients put on the plates as they had every other night (albeit with Indian-sounding names).
Given the climate, it seemed a bit cheap to expect clients to pay for water as well.

All in all, a pretty mixed bag. The location is brilliant and the cleaning team do a great job. The spa is also a really nice attraction to have at the hotel with the accompanying sessions they organise. But the food is a really failing. Before booking, I had read Trip Advisor reviews about the poor food and I figured that, as long as I didn't starve and I could fill up enough in the morning to get me through the day, it didn't really matter. However, even though i'm not a particularly fussy eater, dinner-time was always a downer and failed to meet 4-star standards on every level. It doesn't cost much more to go 'bed and breakfast' to 'half-board' but I really can't recommend the latter.

8  Thank madmullet
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Some changes since our last stay here (April2011). It is now an adult only hotel, so very quiet and very peacefully especially around the pool. At check in we got a book of vouchers for our pool towels and some discounts. Our room had lovely new beds, deep mattresses with toppers and big soft pillows/cushions, also new terrace furniture. The food buffets were as ever, some days better than others, as the supplement we pay for HB is very small this doesn't bother me, we go to our favourite restaurants a few evenings.
The Spa/Water course was an experience, it was a building site our last visit.For €15 each (discount in your voucher book) you can spend the whole day there, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, sun loungers, Balinese beds, complimentary coffee, water and black or green tea, more different types of showers than I never knew existed. You can come and go as you please all day, you have your own locker and pool shoes are provided, ask the spa receptionist to show you around in order to get full value from the experience.
Some entertainments have changed, Miriam Power still does the Aqua gym twice a week, she is the best! We ventured to the roof with Leah and got some great photos.
The hotel was full which was probably why the morning 'sunbed rush' has become an issue. I never remember this here before and it is so silly, there are enough beds for everyone. There is now bar service around the pool, great to see Paco again, always so cheerful and welcoming when you come back.
Not the fault of the hotel, the airport/resort transfer is not for the faint hearted, holiday travel has changed, most of us now semi independent, the hotel played its part and notified us all of our pick up time. There was a lot of pressure on the luggage room on departure day.
Some miserable, whinging people around, miffed because they didn't get free bottle of wine as returning guests and looking for things to complain about.
Still love this place, will be back asap!

1  Thank Brnladd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
H10 Ocean Suites
H10 Ocean Suites
#9 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to Barcelo Corralejo Bay? Share your experiences!