“Absolutley Fabulous... we've booked to go back!”

Oasis Papagayo Sport & Family
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
London
“Absolutley Fabulous... we've booked to go back!”
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We travelled here last March for 2 weeks as a couple through Thomson.

When we first arrived at the hotel check-in was a breeze we went straight to our CLEAN One bedroom apartment no.126. As it was located on the Ground floor our balcony was really shaded by palm trees and as my partner can't sit in the sun all day we go back to our apartment of an afternoon and I like to sit on the balcony. So I asked reception if we could change rooms and it wasn't a problem, they changed us to room 86 on the top floor, again it was absolutely spotless, the balcony had sun all day and we even had a view of the sand dunes and in the very distants the RUI hotel and the sea!!

We rented safes, as we had read a couple of reviews that peoples stuff got stolen, but its only common sense to rent a safe and not leave valuables lying around!! $15 a week with a deposit for the key

We also paid extra to have more channels on the TV. $15 a week, with a deposit for the remote.

We were self catering so we didn't eat in the hotel at all, So I can't comment on the food.

The Apartment as I have said were soo clean, Massive bathroom with a shower over the bath. Kitchen had microwave, Fridge, hob, kettle, toaster and all the utensils you needed.

The Resort as a whole was beautiful, there were always gardeners & cleaners about, the hotel is all two story and is like a little village, there are three pools in the front section of the hotel and if you walked right to the back there was another two, which we only found on the last couple of days of the holiday.

There is some shops attached to the hotel, The supermarket is soo overpriced go to the Dino supermarkets, they are so much cheaper!

If you walk out of the hotel and go right, there was a cafe owned by a English Family, they served very English food!! That was great for lunch.

The resort was very quiet the only noise we ever heard was the seals opposite the hotel @ Baku Water park, which was unfortunately closed as we were there out of season.

The walk down to the town took between 15 - 25 minutes depending on where you wanted to go, We ate on the sea front every night...

NOT A MACDONALDS, BURGER KING, KFC OR PIZZA HUT IN SIGHT!!!! Which was fab!! Fresh fish, steak, tapas ect.. all brill, we never had a bad meal in the whole 2 weeks we were there.

We rented a car and went out and about all the time, the south of the island is gorgeous as well!

The best beaches are where the sand dunes are, some days we were the only people on the beach, also..... FUE is a big attraction for nudist.(not that there is anything wrong with it, we were probably some of the very few people who wore bikinis and shorts!!).. we didn't know this until be got there... and we were very shocked!! This didn't ruin our holiday what soever , you just learnt not to look, and on the big stretch of beach near the two RUI hotels there were areas built where they tend to sunbathe.

All in All, we never had any problems start to finish of our holiday, We are a well travelled couple in our mid 20's and found this Hotel/Resort had everything we wanted, which was a clean base and quiet and relaxing (we went in March). Alot of people love to come on here to complain about really petty stuff... Go open minded and you will surley have a fab holiday like we did.... and we are booked to go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fayeholidays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Derbyshire
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Booked a 5 day break through Thomsons for New Year. Staff lovely.Couldn't check in til 3 but somewhere for luggage and all inclusive started straight away so went for some lunch. Food OK. Nothing spectacular. Usual 3 star all inclusive fayre pizza, chicken, pasta, large salad bar, fresh fruit and bread etc etc. Separate smaller restaurant for all inclusive guests which you need to book beforehand. Food no better - in fact less choice, but ambience better and no flies (a particular bugbear in the restaurant). This is open evenings only. Beer and wine on tap in both.

Checked into a large 2 bedroom apartment style room. Fully kitted out with kettle and toaster etc which proved useful for the kids when they didn't want to get up for breakfast! Bathroom had hairdryer, shampoo, shower get etc. Room clean enough, but bathroom smelled damp. Still, for 5 days we put up with it.

Pool area nice and quiet even over New Year. Plenty of sunbeds and area kept clean (even the pool attendant picked up empty cups etc!), No food available between breakfast and 1pm, which proved problem for those in our party who didn't make breakfast! Food served at pool bar, buffet style, from 1pm, which was descended upon by Brits like they'd never been fed! Hotdogs, burgers, salad and chips. You could, however, get a much wider choice from the restaurant.

Very little entertainment for kids in the day that I could see, but it was New Year and the hotel was very quiet. Thankfully the weather was glorious, so the kids used the pools. The bowling alley was open, but the pub closed, along with the ice cream parlour which had also been there for our last visit.

Dinner in the restaurant was adequate. Enough choice and fresh meat cooked and served by the chef each evening. The flies were a nuisance and the lack of cuttlery/glasses mentioned by other guests was sometimes a problem despite the hotel being far from full. The staff worked hard, though and tried their best to keep up with demand.

The entertainment was awful! The aforementioned absence of the Thomson team has certainly had an impact. On New Year's eve the entertainment consisted of a keyboard player, who left much to be desired! The evening was dull and boring and we were just glad we had decided to eat out until 11.30 pm in a local restuarant! What a let down! After New Year, the entertainment improved a little with a performance from an acrobatic group, although they struggled to perform properly due to the low ceiling height in the entertainment area! The hotel certainly lacks any proper entertainment co-ordination, so if this is important to you, its something to consider.

All in all we had a nice 5 day break. We were glad we hadn't booked for any longer. The good points about the hotel are its location, the size of the rooms and the pool area plus the helpfulness of the staff. The food is just OK and the entertainment that we experienced was truly awful. We didn't pay a huge price for the break so we accepted that you get what you pay for. The sunshine helped hugely! Would we go back? No, but for a cheap and cheerful bit of sunshine, it provided good value for money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
nottingham, uk
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We travelled on Christmas Day with two young children aged 4 and 6. We stayed for one week.

We booked through Thomson who, although were still at the hotel, had pulled out of the entertainment side of things in October 2010. Matthew the rep was excellent, and although we never spoke, he seemed to be always available.

Hotel: Apartments very spacious but a little tired and the floor hadn't been mopped for months - feet ended up black after a walk from the bathroom to the bedroom. The gardens and surrounding landscaped area are very pleasant, however, on closer inspection you could see that nobody cared about the ciggie butts EVERYWHERE!
Staff were pleasant and helpful - especially on reception. We hired a safe but didn't bother with the TV. Beds fairly comfy. Towels were changed regularly and beds were clean. Slept well - even without copious amounts of alcohol! Never had a problem with hot water. Kitchenette (with fridge, kettle, toaster and two ring electric hob) was adequate for making toast, sandwiches and a cuppa.

Restaurant: Never had a problem finding a table. Breakfast was ok, full English - bacon a bit plastic and tasteless and a couple of days there weren’t any ‘proper’ sausages – the little tinned ones were awful. However, the eggs (alternated daily between scrambled and fried, hard boiled always available), tinned toms, beans and fried bread, etc all fine, fruit was fresh. The so called continental - one type salami, one cheese – pretty rubbish compared to similar hotels - cereals low quality imitations. Tea and coffee ok but fruit juices low quality - I don't expect freshly squeezed but at least a better quality concentrate would have been nice - I've had better in other 3* accommodation. Evening meal a bit mixed. Salads always fresh, bread not so. Hot meals a bit lacking and as others have said, tepid at best. The Christmas Gala meal (As Thomson promised in their brochure) was laughable. Turkey roll sliced by the chef behind the counter in an attempt to put a bit of positive spin on the evening. It was awful really as you’d have thought you'd get all the trimmings that comes with a Christmas Dinner. Nope, just chips. No gravy. Yes, it was cold. The rest of the week was the same story. Lacking of choice, tepid food. I have been to many similar places in the Canaries and the Med over the past 20 years or so. This is the worst I’ve experienced. There's a serious problem with plates, glasses and cutlery running out. Not enough staff to keep things in check. The fact that we had to walk through the smoking area (indoors) each morning and evening to get to the restaurant was just bad management by the hotel. I’m a social smoker but this wasn’t what I wanted to endure every day, thanks, especially with my kids. At lunchtime the restaurant opens but we didn't use it. We used the buffet at the poolside bar. Basic burgers, hotdogs, pizza - a couple of days there were jacket potatoes. Not too bad but the burgers and sausages were again extremely low quality. Salad was always fresh. Ice cream (small pots of Nestle) was always kept frozen - so none of that crystalised defrosted/refrozen ice cream that you sometimes see. We ate out three times, twice in Correlejo and once just down the road at Tiffanys - a decent place for English food - their home made puddings are excellent.

Pool areas: Good sized shallow ‘splash’ pool for the little kids and two large main pools in the top end of the complex. There are two other pools on site, one for the kids (this is the freshwater one!) and a Jacuzzi (not heated). There’s plenty of sunbeds. Never a problem getting one even when it got busy. Pool area always kept tidy. Plenty of rubbish bins for plastic cups and plates, etc. See other reviews regarding pool side bar drinks. The beer (San Miguel) was actually quite decent, contrary to what some have mentioned here. Coffee and tea in a tiny plastic ‘party cup’ was quite unusual, if I can put it that way. One gulp and it’s gone! Poolside Male WC out of action throughout our stay – not good when you have two young boys. Bit of a slog to the WC near the restaurant.

Entertainment: We did see someone around the pool area arranging a few things and there was a kids club but we never went so can’t comment. The evening entertainment was just awful. I’m not one for the type of entertainment that comes with this sort of cheap package holiday – been there done that (we go for the weather). It’s all a bit drab wherever you go isn’t it? However, this really took the p*ss. No agenda whatsoever. Each night nothing happened. It took a dozen kids to start running around like crazy making their own entertainment to prompt someone to come out and blow up a few balloons or put a kids song on to keep them happy for 20 mins just to stop them from running into tables. This was usually around 9pm. Bingo/Quiz/Karaoke at 10pm. There was a parrot show which was the highlight of one evening – people actually applauded (out of politeness I would hope). I nearly cried with embarrassment it was so bad – thankfully I was having a game of pool with my kids so wasn’t party to the ‘parrot on shoulder’ photo session. Another night, someone in front of me in the queue for the bar asked the barmaid what entertainment was on. The reply was………… Quiz. What else? she replied………. ‘bingo’. She was not pleased. Not just me then. I rest my case. There is a (proper)10 pin bowling alley next to the Golden Goose Pub on site which has about 10 lanes. The pub wasn’t open due to time of year I guess. On site supermarket open all day until 9.30pm – fairly pricey. Other shop units clearly been shut for at least a year.

Location: Not too bad. Bus stop outside to take you to Las Dunas - sand dunes and beaches – worth the 10 minute trip. Taxi’s plentiful outside Tiffany’s for getting into town with the young ones. You can walk to town in 15 mins without young children. Correlejo town pretty much run of the mill sort of place. Plenty of places to eat and drink (at fairly decent prices given the current exchange rate) and the usual gift shops. There are also beaches here which is a big bonus. Lots of traffic though, which was surprising, so watch yourself when crossing the roads. There are cycle paths alongside the pavements also so beware of cyclists!

Overall: Some people say you get what you pay for.

The Good: Plenty of sunbeds. Lovely gardens and good sized apartments. Friendly staff. Fresh salad and fruit.

The Bad: The ‘Hot’ food is tepid/cold, lacking in choice, shortage of restaurant staff.

The Ugly: Evening entertainment.

I did enjoy my holiday but will not return here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Corralejo hotels

GI1973
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I read many reviews prior to our Trip to the Oasis Papagayo. Any sane man would have thought twice and probably cancelled the trip, however I thought better of it and decided that we are all entitled to our own opinions and that we all have different tastes - so what one person like another will not necessarily. So - we went. Arrived on Xmas day and returned to the UK New Years day - our first Xmas break away and a treat from my partner. This is our review.

HOTEL - Staff fantastic. Extremely pleasant and helpful with all manner of requests. Jovial and happy to help whereever they could. No problems there - well done!
ROOM - Large. We were all inclusive and only expected the normal room you get in a hotel, but instead had a large self catering equipped apartment. This proved an added bonus and meant some evenings we could just chill in the lounge before heading to bed. We hired a TV. There were not 2 channels as often reported but 7 in English so well worth 20 euros for the week just to catch up on the news and watch a couple of movies. Our only cism of the rooms was only that the bedding was changed just once in a week, but the towels were changed 3 times - which is fine with us. Lets face it - you wouldnt change your towels 3 times as week in the UK would you! Everything you expect from a room was there plus a few added extras. Safe was 10 euros for the week and again well worth the money
POOL - Huge - 5 in total - 2 of which most people never know about - there is also a jacuzzi which again we have to ourselves as no one else seems to know. Venture to the bottom of the complex near the villas and you will find it.
FOOD - This is something I really was worried about before hand. The reviews were dreadful . However - ignore them - utter rubbish! The food was fantastic! huge selection. Far better than in the 5* hotel I was in in Egypt in May, and not too far behind the quality of the 5* hotel I stayed at in Mexico (Riu). The food was varied and catered for every taste. It was served hot, flavoursome - no problems there at all. People moaned that it was all foreign - not enough choice - etc - well if you dont want foreign dont to abroad adn stay in Butlins!! We heard rumblings of 'oooo how I would eat some proper food like a McDonalds!' - I rest my case. Live a little - embrace another culture and get a grip. It drove me to utter distraction. We ate out twice - Once as a treat to my partner for taking me away and once when we went to Lanzarote for the day - neither were therefore a reflection of the standard in the hotel.
ENTERTAINMENT/BAR. Entertainment was there throughout the day and never pushy if you didnt want to be involved. On an evening in the bar it was a bit dire - however there was no need for cetrain english guests to shout out there thoughts about the acts. To be fair though most of the other english guests were too busy cramming as much vodka and lager down there throat before the 11pm cut of for all inclusive and then heaven forbid they may have to actually buy a drink. The number of tables with 10-15 drinks on there table make me feel sick. And there was little respect for the simple process of queung - this was something in years gone by that germans were guilty of not being good at - well they had nothing on the English. Emma on the bar did a fantastic job keeping everyone in line with little help from the other staff
THOMSON REP - Matthew - if you are reading this - I dont know how you do your job! You deserve everything and about 5 times more than what you earn for the moaning and utter rubbish you put up with from these guests. how ever you keep you patience I will never know - you are a credit to Thomson and do an amazing job! Keep it up.

So overall - We Loved It! Had a great week and Yes we would go back.

For the Moaners - If you want and expect 5*, put your hand in your pocket, pay another £500 per person and you will get it - for now, settle for that you get - make the most of it - oh - and for god sake get some bloody manners - you showed yourself up and most of England!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank GI1973
northampton
Reviewed January 2, 2011

not enough hot water,for even one bath,fed from tank that has only 25ltres of water then have to wait 30mins to reheat ......furniture depressing and old.no patio door just single door onto terrace that got no sun..Pool area great salt water..dining room basic but food ok orange juice machines didnt work properly.....by far the worst thing was walking through smoking section to get to dining room .......no bikes to hire although sign said otherwise.....reception staff excellent......

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2010

It has taken me a long time thinking about writing this review, but after staying here felt compelled to write something.
Firstly if your reading this and have already booked, don't worry you'll probably have a wonderful holiday as I did, however everything that you have read that is negative about this resort is true.
During my two weeks stay I either witnessed myself or spoke to another holidaymaker who had experienced all of the bad things about Oasis Papagayo.
Didn't stay inclusive, but heard all about the food from people...lots of people !!
As for people who have written reviews along the metaphoric lines of "what do you expect for lemonade money" well actually I expect Lemonade for lemonade money !! Not stagnant pond water as was often the case, all that I can say is there have been a few people who must of been lucky ,which I think can be the case as our party had 4 apartments between us ranging from pleasant, to poor. Either that or live a very humble lifestyle to be so very easily pleased.
The location is OK, the staff are pleasant, the Thompson staff and especially the kids entertainment staff are the only jewel in the crown here, they are brilliant. I don't know what Thompson pays them but it should be doubled, my 6 & 8 year old loved them and cried when we went home after of course all of them including Thompson the dog coming to see us off.
At the end of the day if the kids are happy then that's half the holiday made..I can live withe the rest, but do be warned if you like to moan ,you will have no trouble finding subject matter here !
Would I go there again ?.....the kids would go again tomorrow.....perhaps I would too

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Werdnac250762
South West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The Oasis Papgayo is situated 10/15 minute walk from the main "strip" and has a bus stop outside that takes you into the centre of Coralejo or to the capital Porta del Resario, so good location.
The Pools and facilities are very good but the food !!!!!!!!!. Everything is luke warm, they regularly run out of specific items ie first morning, both machines no orange juice, no attempt to top it up. Twice in one week only hard boiled eggs...no fried, no scrambled.
We came back from trip at 1pm as restaurant was about to open so I thopught straight in then at least food will be hot...wrong...chips luke warm and limp. To anyone traveling to the Papgayo there is a microwave placed in the corner of the main dinning room, that sums it up. Dont even attempt to eat at the poolside bar. Go hotel only and eat out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple