“Riu hotels take some beating and this one is up there with the best”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Riu hotels take some beating and this one is up there with the best”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This is the third Riu all inclusive hotel we have visited, we did not normally go All inclusive but a couple of years ago when money was a little tighter and Spain priced themselves out of competitive holidays, we decided that was the time to go all inclusive. We selected the Riu hotels on personal recommendation and boy were we not disappointed, probably the best thing about the three we have stayed in is the food, second to none, all choices you could wish for and all fresh and cooked to perfection. The Riu Oliva has the best room we have stayed in, nothing could have been better, sorry a small suggestion for the Hotel Manager, invest in some new bath towels. but nothing distracted from the pleasure once again from staying at a Riu hotel, well done and thanks. Just a footnote, our return coach was arriving at 3.50pm and the bedrooms had to be vacated by 11.0am, we requested a few hours extra, no problem we were extended to 1.00pm with no mention of silly charges, this is the sort of attention to paying guests that gives you faith in the holiday industry.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phillip_taylor907

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Terrible value AI is a farce, food is awful if you dont eat it one day you will get it the next in an omlette or rice or potatoe salad then if you dont eat it then as it is liqiudised as soup the day after. Whilst in the main buffet saw the staff topped hot water dispenser (for tea/coffee) from a white plastic bucket, these where much in evidence to also top up milk and even use when cleaning beer pumps!!!!! Believe chicken meals are made from chicken carcasses minus the breasts and legs, never saw a breast at all. Canarian resturant is a joke with exactly same food as main buffet and menu never changes as is not available anyway they are just table decorations. Watch out if you drink alcahol after your holiday because you will get drunk on two glasses as you have been drinking mainly water for the last week. Booze is without choice beer, red, white or rose and spirits only choice is spirits mainly warm and undrinkable. Wifi, Reps, Rooms, Staff waste of space avoid as you have more fun having flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Was Sunny all week!!

• Stayed February 2011
Paulton Bristol
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We arrived at the Oliva Beach on 2nd Feb 2011. On arrival we were told to go and have lunch and directed to the main dining room. When we got there the staff were removing the food and what food we did have was cold. We returned to the reception area where we were given a key to our room and a map and was told our cases would be brought over. After much searching as there were no numbers indicating the direction of our room. We eventually found our room 1235 on entering it was not what we expected as it was on two levels with the bedroom up narrow concrete steps we were horrified at the darkness and shabbiness of this room, tried to ring reception no-one answered by which time the porter had arrived with our cases, we informed him that we were not prepared to stay in this room, he got onto his radio and we were showed the next room down, which was all on one level, we excepted this room but still not happy as we thought we would be in the main hotel. We feel that these appartments are deffinately not 4* and 3* at a push as they are in dire need of refurbishment. We felt isolated and were not informed we could get free bottled water from reception and beach towels were available in the main hotel but not in the annexe, also the pool water level over the annexe began to drop on the friday, it was fenced off on the Saturday as it was down to half full , by Sunday it was completely empty, by 11am workmen had arrived and started to repair the base of the pool using angle grinders and hammer and chisels, what started off looking like a small job by the end of the day half the base of the swimming pool had been ripped up, which means this swimming pool in our opinion will be out of action for at least 2-3 weeks. The one saving grace for the annexe was the resturant and it's staff as the main resturant was over crowded. We intend on making a formal complant to Thomson through our travel agent as we felt very let down on this holiday. Angela & Lin Paulton Bristol

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I came back from the Oliva hotel last night, My mother (74), husband and I had a fabulous time. the first 2 days were a bit cloudy and strong winds, unusual the staff said. The food was so good in the main buffet we did not eat in either of the a la carte restaurants. Nothing was too far away for my mother to walk to (she gets out of breathe easily). Lovely walks across the beach for my husband and I, although the sea was a little too rough for me to go in. the staff were all friendly and helpfull. The bars were good, drinks strong. lovely irish coffee. We went into town twice, once to buy a jacket as evenings are cold, and again to watch the Rugby, pity Wales lost. The main street was quiet, wether it was the time of year I don't know. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, but we knew this and it was lovely, beds on the beach 3 euro but we stayed in the hotel grounds in a sandy area overlooking the beach, this was sheltered from the strong winds, which can be quite chilly. I recommend taking a fleece and socks, just in case.
I would definately go to this hotel again, we stayed in the annex which was fine because it was much more room for the 3 of us, bedroom and lounge area with 2 settee/beds, had we stayed in the hotel we would have had a room with 3 beds. Excellent value, clean, friendly and great food and drinks, what more do you want ?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We stayed four weeks. Impressed by the staff, never a grumpy moment. Hotel is in two parts, main block with all rooms having sea-views and low-rise annexe behind. Infinitely large clean gently sloping beach. H0tel has built-in wind breaks and needs them.
Buffet food good with wide choice of steaks, meat, fish,soup, salads. No hot puddings though. Huge range of drinks literally on tap. Specialist dining rooms book days in advance.Being lazy we never managed it. Entertainment widely enjoyed it seemed.
Minor gripes. Usual sunbed-booking problems round pool (Get up early!) Pool a bit chill so rarely more than six users. Jacuzzi below blood temperature. BBC World service ('not on our satellite dish') not available, but Sky News was found for us. No bidet.
. Wide range of ages (except school) Fellow guests largely German.Very civilised.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin096
Ovington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I've visited Corralejo many times and always wondered what it would be like to stay at one of the Rius on the beach. Just before Christmas I started looking at prices for January and couldn't believe that Thomson were offering this hotel for a single person at £210 (hotel only) All Inclusive. The next day the price dropped to £161 so I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

I knew the hotel was much bigger than I would normally go to but for the price thought I would risk it. On arrival, however, I realised that the hotel was extremely busy and I was totally put off by this. HOWEVER, I soon realised that if you wanted to take part in all the activities and be in amongst it all then you could, but if like me you don't want that, there are plenty of places to enjoy a quiet week, and that's exactly what I did. The only disappointment for me was that I never used the pool as it was just too noisy for me.

I am a Riu Club member so not sure if this had any bearing on which room I was allocated but I did get a lovely room at the end of a corridor facing over the village but with the sun late afternoon which I had requested. The balcony was not overlooked and I could also see the sea ... just perfect. I was in the main building and never went across to the village side so have no idea what it's like over there. Mid week I got a bottle of cava and some chocolates in my room which was a nice touch.

Can I just set the record straight about the cost of internet at the hotel, as this had concerned me when reading other reviews. Yes the cost is 6 euro but that is for AN HOUR ... who wants to be on the computer for an hour when on holiday! It is the bog standard cost of 1 euro for 10 mins which is adequate. In fact I had a problem one day when the computer froze and I lost 2 euros, which was soon reimbursed by reception, no quibble!

The food at the hotel I would say is nothing spectacular ... I've had much better food in the Riu Calypso in Jandia ... but it is plentiful and typical of what you would get anywhere else. I didn't try the Asian restaurant but did go into the Canarian one and have to say I thought it was just very similar to the main restaurant, the only difference being your wine is brought to your table, it being self service in the main restaurant. On my first day I did go into the main restuarant for lunch and there was such a long queue I decided just to go to the snack bar by the pool and that was perfectly adequate with things like burgers, pizza, chips, etc.

In a previous review someone mentioned that they thought the cocktails weren't very strong ... well it depends which barman serves you and if you want to be flat on your back after a few, then wait to be served by the little shiny bald headed guy and you most certainly will!!

I'm not interested in entertaiment on a night so never went into the big hall where it was all going on, instead went for a quiet evening drink in the other bar next to the games room and that was just fine. I have to say that I never spoke to a soul all week, the hotel being predominantly German guests. There were Brits about but I never got into conversation with anyone, the only people who tried to strike up a conversation with me were German!

So, to sum up, I think this hotel would suit a whole range of people and it is what you make it. I certainly didn't find anything to complain about and in fact would consider going there again if I got as cheap a deal as this time. The weather w/c 15 January was absolutely perfect, not a cloud in the sky all week which I know is exceptional for this time of year so I was really lucky on that score too! All in all a lovely relaxing week.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank windymiller
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2011

we stayed at the riu oliva beach twice before in january, so booked again for some lovely sunshine in this fabulous location.
however this year the weather decided not to play fair and we had very little sun all week, but plenty of torrential rain, blanket grey clouds and biting winds!
it was such a shame because we know what it can be like at this time, but it wasn't to be.
the hotel was good as usual - good quality and choice of food, rooms comfortable and cleaned to a high standard, staff were excellent as always.
there's always next time!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgandkg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!