4,488 results
All reviews the main hotel mandarin restaurant annex pool annex restaurant sand dunes card room fantastic beach on tap beach holiday salad plenty of choice amazing location german guests evening entertainment bottled water main pool self service
Selected filters
Reviewed June 29, 2017

The Hotel is situated North of the island and is located directly on the beach/ Desert, which has 2 main pools and a large hot tub.

The hotel caters for people from all over the world and has a lot of repeat guests, which
are very friendly.

The hotel offers activities for both kids and adults all day long both on the beach and in the hotel itself.
It has a small shop onsite where you can buy last minute gifts or just want a packet of crisps by the pool.

Food and drinks are pretty much available all day and late into the evening, and the saving of the sunbeds is not a problem it has tonnes of sunbeds either by the pool or
by the sandy sunbathing area in the main complex, which is far better than the other pool just a short walk away about 30 yards away.

Food is okay the menu changes everyday, which is good if your staying there longer than a week. The hotel has two large dining rooms one in the main area of the hotel and the other just the other side of the site.

The sun is strong so make sure that you slap on the suncream, as I said earlier the hotel is located on the beach and is also located on the edge of a desert so its important to keep hydrated.
Its also a bit windy as well which is good it can cool you off a bit but it gets a bit annoying when when you want to chill with a book and you get a face full of sand from the beach.

The hotel is located about a 5 minutes walk to a nudist beach, which is out of sight of the hotel due to the sand dunes, so don't be put off by this. But if you are into naturism the come out of the beach exit and turn right and walk for about 5 minutes
and then you'll hit the beach marked with a yellow lifeguard hut (You can't miss it).

The hotel room we stayed in was a twin room, which was clean and tidied everyday with fresh linen.

All the staff are friendly and helpful check in and check out was quick and efficient and the transfer to the airport took less than 30 minutes.

The island has a lot to offer and getting around is easy on public transport if in doubt ask the receptionist or get all the info you need from an interactive board that is in reception.

We flew with Thompson had no problems except getting stung at the airport for excess baggage.

(Take a note of how much your cases weigh when you fly from the UK as we didn't have any gifts and had to ditch half the contents in the bin at check in)

But besides that really good holiday.

Room tip: If you have no kids dine in the main hotel dinning area its a lot more civilised and has a better view of the beach.
Date of stay: November 2016
1  Thank christop83
Reviewed June 27, 2017

just returned from another fabulous holiday at riu olive beach. as always the holiday was brilliant thanks to the lovely staff. we actually felt the food quality was improved this time. the mandarin in particular which was a lot more flavoursome.the whole complex is kept nice and clean and tidy although it is getting a little tired and outdated. However the location right on the beach more than makes up for this. the bus into corralejo is only a 5 mind walk from hotel and only costs 1 euro 40.. or taxis are available just outside hotel for around 7 - 8 euros into town.
Corralejo itself is nice with a good selection of shops and restuarants and bars we even found a lovely bar with sea/harbour views with large cold beers for a euro...perfect..
The beach is out of this world and perfect for a completely relaxing holiday although beware if red flags are up, do not go into the sea it is very scary.

4  Thank jcpfk
Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

I'm still here at RIU Oliva Beach on my last day writing this review. I had high expectations and was very excited about this trip, however it fell far short of what I believe should have and could have been far better an experience.

There were different aspects of this stay that I will rate accordingly to my experience, but over all the entire experience was nothing special. Nothing really impressed me except the actual beach itself and the crystal blue waters.
I will also add that this place is cleaned daily and very well from what I could see. Very good!

I'll start with the service and staff:
This was very good in my opinion. No problems with the staff and they were all friendly, however, except on the day that new arrival guests came. The dining room staff were moody and frantic. Muttering what I can only assume were heavy disappointments in Spanish.

I was even told off twice by the same lady during lunch because I was in her way as she charged through the room, clearly enraged about something.

These people do work hard though, from what I can see. Saying hello and giving them a smile can make their day a lot nicer... hint! Reception are great. Very helpful and friendly.

The room:
Nice room with two single beds and a reasonable setup in general. Plenty of closet space and a few drawers. 40inch flatscreen TV, room safe, a ceiling fan, mini fridge, nice furnishings (and aircon, but only between 2pm and midnight because the hotel regulates when the actual cold air comes in, regardless of what settings you choose in your room that's meant to be ALL INCLUSIVE !).

My wife and I woke up in the middle of each night boiling hot because the hotel shuts off the aircon at midnight - even though the fan vent still blows air, its kind of humid. Even WITH ceiling fan we were dying of heat!

Ensuite bathroom with shower, toilet, sink, and bidè. Nice but no extraction vent for steam and.... smells.

By the way, you should know that the beds are absolutely, superbly awful. Very uncomfortable. Hard, lumpy springs and seriously should be burned.

Have not had a good night's sleep at all in the week I've been here. The room gets a 2 out of 5 because it's mainly for sleeping isn't it!? I can't sleep! RIU needs to get comfortable mattresses and allow cooling after midnight!

The food:
They have two common dining rooms( one in the hotel and one in the apartments / annexes). These have daily changing menus and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's hit and miss and a gamble really. Some days the food is quite nice, some days it's really bad. They also have a bad habit of serving veal that is cut way too thick and cooked way too long. It's chewy and rubbery. Not good!
I highly recommend the roast lamb and the jerk roast chicken when they do it.
The fish isn't that good in my opinion.
The first and only piece I tried was full of bones! What are the odds!?

They also always have a huge spread of cold sliced meats, breads, pastries and cakes, salads, fresh fruits, horsd'oeuvres, and puddings. See my pics of some of their foods.

There are also 2 restaurants you can dine at but they do dinner time only and you need to book in advance to get in. They serve the same things every single night.
You will get bored of that.
There is:
El Canario which serves Canarian cuisine.
It's in the hotel.

...and El Mandarino which serves chinese inspired food. Its in the annexes. I say "inspired" because it definitely is not chinese. We tried both and liked El Canario best.

El Mandarino was not so good... Undercooked (raw) beef, old chewy hard ribs, and bad tasting sweet and sour pork.

There were a few nice things like the sushi rolls and some other starters, but mostly it did not imperess.

The facilities:
Not bad really. Bars, pools, gym, jacuzzi, tennis and basketball courts, beach volleyball courts, couple of shops, etc. and a very nice lounge near reception. There is free WiFi in and around hotel but you do get pockets of no signal.

There are tours you can pay for to go on and there is one free tour every Monday which I will tell you right now to AVOID!!

Free doesn't always mean it's good.
I mean you do get a bit of viewing of part of the island (mostly barren land and hills and the occasional goat) but in this case it's NOT worth the aggravation. My wife and I went on this free trip, they were about an hour behind schedule, and we ended up having to sit for 1 hour and 45 minutes in a hot stuffy room in Antigua because the sponsor of the trip is a mattress retailer and they coup everyone up in their showroom... and their prices are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!
Like try about 4 or 5 times the cost of a normal single mattress!! Pillows at £112 each! It's a total rip off. Their excuse is real wool and sleeping correctly etc.
Smart people don't need these beds! Buy at home in the UK.

Anyway, you've neen warned... Do NOT go on the free trip. And we ended up spending about £40 just for our lunch!

That's about all I have to say about this experience. There's good but there is bad too. There are better choices for holiday other than here.

The beach is the focal point here really. Superb beach I will give 5 stars to. Can be reached from Corralejo easily.

Your choice, I just criticise these places for what they are in my experiences of them.

Ok to stay at this place, but not 100% satisfying. I will add some pictures shortly...

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank WestMidlandsReviewer
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such honest and detailed feedback.

On the one hand, we regret to read that you were not satisfied with the room facilities and amenities. We will share your impressions with the corresponding department in order to make adjustments, if necessary. We can assure you that RIU is continuously working on the renovation and maintenance of every hotel.

On the other hand, many thanks for highlighting the beauty of our beach and our Front desk team.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you again at one of our RIU hotels in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

Spent 1 week all inclusive here in February with my wife and my 2 year old. We found it to be perfect for young families. The food in the all inclusive restaurant was fantastic. Great selection every night. The Chinese restaurant was first class. The rooms are very clean and spacious.
Staff extremely helpful.
Lots of activities for kids during the day and night. Good entertainment for adults.
The hotel is set on an excellent stretch of beach. I would highly recommend this place.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2017

Just returned on Saturday from 11 great days at this lovely, but a little dated hotel. The cleanliness of all hotel areas is immaculate, the staff in all areas are so welcoming and happy in their service of the customer. Food is what you can expect from a 3 star all inclusive package, so no complaints whatsoever. The outstanding plus about this hotel is the amazing position of it, on the most beautiful beach in the Canary islands. A lovely value for money stay at a still, very good hotel. Finally, a free safe to store valuables, free pool/beach towels. Would we recommend? Certainly.

Room tip: Pool side room with pool/beach view.
1  Thank BaldrickManchester