“Brilliant for families”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Greater Manchester
“Brilliant for families”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just returned from a week at The Oliva Beach with my sister and her two grandsons. We booked mainly for its location on the wonderful sandy beach. We were not disappointed. The boys (two and six) spent many happy hours making sandcastles, digging holes and playing at the water's edge. My sister and I took turns to swim in the clear, warm water. Waves were minimal on the first two days although as the wind increased, so did the waves. Access to the beach is directly through a gate from the hotel grounds. When we weren't on the beach, we were in and around the various pools, including the jacuzzi. The pool in front of the hotel has a separate children's pool but the one in the apartments area does not - the only downside. The hotel grounds are extremely extensive and are very well maintained. The apartment area resembles a small village with the pool as its focal point. Our luggage was taken to our apartment by trolley and collected again on the morning of our departure. The apartment was extremely spacious and cleaned to a very high standard. We had read complaints about the standard of decor and general shabbiness of the rooms.There were two cracked floor tiles in the bathroom and a lampshade was badly marked but it certainly didn't affect our enjoyment of the holiday in any way. There was far worse in a "superior room" at the Levante 4 Star Thomson Gold Hotel in Majorca where my husband and I stayed (and reviewed) a few years ago.
Again, we had read complaints about the food so we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety. For the evening meal there was a wide variety of salads, freshly cooked meats, casserole type dishes and a whole range of other dishes. There was also a whole section devoted to hot pasta dishes. There were always child orientated dishes in addition. We tried the wine a couple of times. It was O.K., nothing special. Cocktails varied depending on how generous, or otherwise, the barman was with the alcohol. The boys loved the range of children's drinks and ice creams, especially the fact that they could just go and help themselves at any time of the day.
The six year old loved his day at the Kid's Club which seemed very well organised with a variety of activities.
As far as value for money is concerned, we were very impressed. The greatest attraction has to be the vast expanse of fine golden sand which meant that the beach was never crowded.
The views of Lobos and Lanzarote with their volcanos were amazing. We were happy to stay on site but there always seemed to be plenty of taxis for those who wanted to travel further afield. In addition, there are several organised excursions on offer including trips to the nearby islands of Lobos and Lanzarote, an island tour, water and safari parks etc. If you are looking for a beach centred holiday, this is the place to be. I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Tremendous views from the higher floors of the hotel but apartments are more spacious.
1 Thank travellersince78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions - both times have been great !
This must be one of the best beach locations in the world, really beautiful.
The staff in every department were always very helpful and kept the hotel very clean.
Safe beach and you can feed the wee fish when your swimming with them ! Although you don't have to wonder far to find nudists as it's a public beach.
My son and I went on the Segways in Corralejo that was fun and the owners Ronnie and Linda are from Scotland - nice to hear a familiar voice as not many British holiday makers at this hotel.
We also visited the volcano in Lanzarote well that was an education - coach trip round volcano area a bit scary very narrow road with severe drops on either side in places.
Corralejo is a lovely wee town but not much to do on the island.
I hired a car which was awesome really loved left hand drive.
I would recommend this hotel for couples and families only

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great choice of food and restaurants, especially Asian. Family rooms in annexe good size and layout for families. Reception staff couldn't do enough to help. Gorgeous clean beach. AI drinks good quality except cocktails and wine. Recommend the toddler pool at the main hotel - the annexe pool a bit noisy with older kids.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Taurustwinmammy
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday here with my wife, the Hotel itself is a concrete monstrosity within a National Park but does have a superb beach just through the back gate. The beach shelves gently into the clear sea and is great for kids however if you walk along the beach in either direction then you will enter the naturist areas so be prepared for some surprises. Food was plentiful but lacked variety, salads, pasta, canarian potatoes were the same each day and cream of vegetable was the soup on offer for 6 mealtimes. The hotel is in desperate need of a refurb as both room and public area furniture shows the signs of many years of use. Corralejo is only a 7 euro taxi ride away and is worth an evening visit for the waterfront restaurants. The pool area is nice with plenty of sun beds but the constant activities organised by the animation team means that a doze in the sunshine is out of the question. The hotel was built before sound deadening between rooms was brought in so noise from other rooms along the corridor can be heard.

Room Tip: Stay in the main block on the sunny side but ask for a high floor as late night drinking and early m...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BarcaBlakes
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks and I must say was very disappointed .We arrived late as the plane was late went to reception were told there was a cold buffet a plate of cold food we then went back up to reception and was told we where in the annexe ok where is it we where given a map a line drawn on it with a circle you are there bearing in mind this now midnight it took us a hour to find our room no help at all not happy . The Hotel and annexe are very clean but the food is so repetitive the same every single day pizza, chips, burgers, hotdogs, pasta, some sort of meat, salads not what I expected from a Riu The beach is ok can be windy and the sea can be quite rough All in all not a good holiday

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny T
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have just returned from a week here. As it was my first proper holiday for a very long time I was really looking forward to it and I was not disappointed! The hotel was lovely and very clean, the staff were excellent and although the rooms in the annexe where we were are a wee bit dated they were spacious and clean. We overlooked the pool which was also lovely. There were plenty lougers and parasols, yes there are folk who get up early and hog loungers but I was there to relax and always got one very easily, and all together. As there were 7 of us that was ok! The Thompson reps told us about all the trips, although the welcome and departure meetings were a bit of a pain (being picky) I would prefer a pack with all the info. When your working life is tied to meetings and timings I dont really want this on my hols! The food was very nice and good variety and the mandarin restaurant was great, although the Canarian one not so. The air conditioning would be the only thing I would like to see a little better. The beach is breathtaking, it is amazing and yes it does not belong to the hotel but that is very clear before you go and I had no problem with the charges etc. for loungers, that said I never used them! the hotel provides a beach towel for its guests which can be changed each morning, which is also great. The entertainement was average but the guys were all really nice and obviously worked very hard. The town of Corralejo was lovely and lots of nice plcaes to shop and eat, and the Sangria was fab! The volcano express trip to Lanzarote was great and I would recommend. All in all a wonderful holiday and we will go back so that in itself I think is recommendation enough!

2 Thank Purpleharry
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just spent a weeks break at the Riu Oliva with my parents plus family (including 2 young girls). We had 2 rooms; a family room in the annexe and a double in the main hotel. The Annexe room was huge with a large double balcony including 2 sunbeds and a parasol. This room was basically furnished but loads of storage and decent sized fridge. Spotlessly clean and well serviced throughout the week. Air con was installed but probably believe the chiller unit was switched off so just acted like a fan. As long as you could keep air moving then climate was ok'ish. The room in the main hotel was darkly furnished and could do with a facelift but again fine for crashing in.

We all found the staff excellent and even on check out I did not see a change in attitude from the staff so couldn't fault them. The pool and amenity areas were kept spotless clean and plenty of sun beds etc without the need to play sun bed reserving unless you specifically want a spot.

Food was great for us as like to eat traditional Spanish food so variations on paella suit me most nights. Breakfast was mourned most enjoyable around the pool in the annexe..staff even helped me to take fresh coffee up to the room before breakfast as no kettles supplied but this turned into my early am chore after a dawn run and dip in the sea.

Drink was fine and beer great, g&ts good and there is a trick to play to get a decent dram.

The real positive is location; brilliant beach right on your doorstep so can sit in pool and decide to stroll over to beach...magnificent. Yes there are naturist sections but not in your face unless you decide to walk through them...your choice!!

Great sport options and enjoyed wate polo and volleyball.

Kids used the kids clubs and really enjoyed the time they spent there...most commonly spoken Languge in the kids club is German but I actually liked the fact that the kids can mingle with people from different countries.

Overall, loved the fact that the hotel does have such a range of nationalities that just got on with the main purpose of being the...being on holiday! Lots of people come back year aft year and I understand why...not saying we shall but would recommend for a weeks break.

3 Thank Sean p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
Barcelo Corralejo Sands
#7 of 45 in Corralejo

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!