“Disappointed in standard of hotel, the amazing beach is amazing thou” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Corralejo
Chingford, London
“Disappointed in standard of hotel, the amazing beach is amazing thou”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

My partner and our son aged 14 stayed here for 1 week all inclusive, 30 mins transfer time from airport is great, however very disappointed in the standard of the hotel, very dated in need of maintenance, it was clean, but shabby something you do not expect when paying £2,300 for a week. We were given a annex room 2 single beds and a sofa bed which was supposed to be a family room?, Room service was okay however I did notice they hadn't changed the sheets left us with no toilet roll one day and no clean towels. RIU need to spend money on this hotel badly. Food was okay but had a bad tummy, entertainment was dire, wi fi had to be purchased and you could only use it in the main reception which I thought was very unfair. No bottle water, and no courtesy room on last day as you have to vacate at 11.00 guests had to use shower room near pool, bit of a shambles had to wait for towels and there was a mass exodus of people waiting to get showered. The beach is amazing though. There are only 2 hotels near the beach both owned by RIU this would explain full occupancy, I have reservations of returning there purely because of the standard of the hotel. But Fuerteventura is a lovely place.

Room Tip: Rooms in main building seem to be less shabby but very dark décor, see view room is nice but cannot...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Feel free to read through my previous reviews from this hotel.

We just keep coming back here, great value for money, fantastic entertainment, amazing location, just a perfect holiday for us.

Every holiday we look at is measured against this one which is why we keep returning here. The staff now remember us and we email the hotel prior to our visit to let them know we would like to stay in the same room (4th time) and they always manage to sort it for us.

The only let down this time is the bottled water is no longer given complimentary which was a disappointment but there are plenty of self service areas you can help yourself to water.

I would still highly recommend this hotel and we will most definitely return again,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loula_blue
Bolton, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went back to the Oliva Beach for the 2nd time in 2013 and wasn't disappointed! Our last trip was in January so the weather in August was a lot warmer and sunnier, with just a few hours overcast which cleared by lunchtime on one of our days we visited.

We were in the annexe complex again and this time on the 1st floor. We got a call on the first day to thank us for returning and asking if we were happy with our room - which was a really nice touch.

A couple of little changes this time in that there's no more free bottled water and wi-fi is now payable. I paid for 7 days unlimited access but the wi-fi was slow and signal kept dropping off. its also only restricted to the lobby area and can get very busy at certain times. I asked for a partial refund as I've stayed in hotels all over the world and payable wi-fi service should be of a better standard than they were offering. As a good will gesture they gave it to me.

The food again was absolutely OUTSTANDING! I cannot believe that people moan about the food and can only think that if they are looking for crispy pancakes or lots of other processed foods, no wonder it isn't to their taste? The food is freshly prepared and tonnes of choice on offer. Each time i visited I was always faced with the dilemma of what to have as I could have easily had 3 or 4 choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The grounds are kept spotlessly clean and the beach and the sea were as nice as any carribean destination I've ever been too.

We will definitely go back again xx

Room Tip: We stayed in 2226 in the Annexe and 2115 - we liked 2226 best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank librasmile05
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a great holiday at the Riu Oliva. Have stayed there before for a week and enjoyed it so thought it would be good for a fortnight.
Hotel is in a fantastic position. The most gorgeous beach just outside the hotel. Miles and miles of powdery sand and beautiful turquoise seas. Fantastic waves for bodyboarding most days too.
We paid extra for a family room this time and are pleased we did as we had so much more space and had a stunning huge balcony overlooking the dunes and sea with table and chairs and 3 sunbeds. Really quiet room too - had emailed the hotel in advance requesting this.
The hotel is very very clean. Waiters and waitresses are constantly clearing away dirty plates etc - sometimes as you just put your knife and fork down. Food is plentiful and very good choice.
Lots of sunbeds. Even available at midday (if ur not fussy about getting a parasol as well).
Entertainment team work really hard. Some of the shows are good, some are dire.
The one disappointment about the holiday was the service we got from the First Choice reps. First we were given a letter to say the welcome meeting was at 10.30-then at 10.30 we were told this was wrong and it was 11am. No one could hear what the rep was saying and it took them 10 minutes to find a microphone. No one wants to sit around waiting for welcome meetings to start on their holiday! Also we had MAJOR cock ups with booking a jeep safari through the reps. The first time we were let down and the jeep did not turn up (think this was the safari company fault). The rep promised she had rebooked it for the following sunday, but it did not turn up again. The jeep company said they did not run safaris on sundays - so the rep had obviously not phoned them at all! Not really good service! Two early starts and a disappointed child looking forward to an excursion - not really what you expect from a reputable company.
Neverless, great holiday. Would stay at the hotel again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank WelshTina56
Gravesend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the write up and other reviews we were not expecting such good hotel as it turned out to be.
I had requested a room in the main Hotel and we were very pleased to be given this as it was better than the annex. block with a really wonderful sea view from the room.
The staff were really helpful and actually seemed to be pleased to be there with a welcoming 'Buenos Dias' in the restaurant and bars as well as the cleaning staff and reception.
The food was of a very high standard and we enjoyed all of our meals,
Definitely try the Asian Restaurant as this was of very high quality and exceptional service.The Canarian restaurant was good but not up to the Asian for atmosphere and variety of food.
There were ample sun beds and we always were able to get one. Loads of places to sit, lay or walk in the grounds.
The Beach is fantastic albeit a bit on the windy side but a walk up and down the beach was always good and probably better than laying out provided you get oiled up before you go,
All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return to this Hotel.
The staff were excellent and as far as we were concerned made the stay here much better as they were all helpful and efficient and so cheerful.
Well done RIU staff.

Room Tip: Main Hotel provides better views and access to the amenities but the annex has bigger rroms but not...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GravesendPocahontas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well I will start by saying what a lovely location. The hotel itself should not be rated as a 4 star though. The rooms were clean but very dated. Most staff were polite until I pointed out that the chicken was raw, they then was very rude and said " well if you get ill I will call you a doctor " No apologies at all. I then woke up the next day and needed an ambulance to take me to hospital. Next thing I remember was waking with a drip in my arm. The doctor had taken bloods and confirmed food poisoning. I had only eaten at the hotel so I knew it was the chicken. My poor children were stuck in the hospital all day because of this. My husband was told the next day that another family had also cut into some chicken and it was raw. We have taken photos and it was raw. The food was also repetitive. I was ill for about 5 days which is not what you need when on holiday. I will say though the pools were nice and entertainment good. The staff were really good with the children also. I will agree that there was some very ignorant people. My son also felt very uncomfortable around the pool with all the topless women. Would I recommend to a friend? NO!!!! Also no chance of sleeping as noise is ridiculous. We did meet some lovely English people though. We were also disappointed that bottled water was not supplied as we were under the impression it was and the water they had on tap smelt awful.....not what you need when ill and it being so hot. Also the air con not working did not help cool the children when they really needed it. I do agree with all inclusive you should be able to get a drink on the beach, even if it is just soft drinks. Overall nice place, nice country but I will not be using Thomson/First choice again as they failed to deal with things in the correct manner. i.e they know best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mikemahdy
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Firstly let me say - don't read too much into some reviews on here regarding certain aspects of this hotel. Yes, the decor is a little dated, but who actually goes to a hotel to spend a lot of time looking at the "decor" anyway, this is a 3 star hotel and if you want it to be a bit more modern then book a higher star rating. It is kept very clean at all times, always staff around cleaning the toilets, lobby and pool area - It is a lovely hotel in my opinion.

I think we got very lucky with the room - in the main hotel, right on the top floor, 1 balcony away from the end - the views were spectacular - I never wanted to come home after waking up to seeing the sun rising from the sea and setting over the endless sand-dunes ! The actual inside of the room was not anything massively special but the air-con (which has a sensor on the balcony door so will turn off if the doors are open) worked and everything was clean and the beds were relatively comfy which is all we wanted as we barely spent any time in the room apart from at night.

The food is the standard buffet affair, there's quite a large selection though - breakfast has pretty much every type of egg variety going, beans and a vast variety of breads, yoghurts, meat and cheeses - lunch generally tended to be pizza / pastas / fish / a huge salad bar and dinner was more of the same with cooked meats, fish and a couple of other dishes changing on a daily basis - there are loads of cakes, deserts and ice cream as well. One day they had a chef show cooking mussels in a big pan in the restaurant, another day they invited everyone to paella and sangria outside near the pool area which they cooked in a HUGE pot, was very impressive (and very very yummy as well!), also there was a snack bar just behind the pool bar which was open in between meals which had pizza, burgers, salads etc. if you do get bored there are 2 speciality restaurants (1 Chinese and 1 Canarian) which are well worth a visit each.

The drinks bar near the pool is open from about 10.30 onwards, all of the cold drinks (including beer and wine) are self serve, the Slushie machine got a lot of use! The bartenders will make you cocktails, which get gradually stronger and stronger as the day goes on I think! The bar in the main hotel opens at about 6pm and it's in the same room that the entertainment shows are in the evenings - I didn't actually stay to watch any of these all the way through, but they did musicals, had Irish dancers and one day the kids from the kids club put on a show that they'd obviously been rehearsing for which I thought was quite nice.

If you like to go on holiday to do loads and loads of things then I probably wouldn't advise this location, unless you want to fork out for trips every day, the hotel is quite remote (luckily there's a bus stop right outside the entrance that goes into Correlajo every half an hour, it's about a 10/15 minute journey for about 1 euro 40 cents) - but if you want a nice relaxing holiday then this is your place. The sea is lovely and clear blue but very wavy at times, I went in the sea most days out of the 7 we stayed there and it's not as cold as I was expecting.

I didn't want to leave and hopefully I can return here some day.

Room Tip: Top floor of the hotel for AMAZING views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Loria-Rae
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corralejo
Hotel Riu Palace Tres Islas
Bahiazul Villas & Club
Bahiazul Villas & Club
#2 of 46 in Corralejo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!