“Oh dear”

ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Firstly I would like to say I love the RIU chain of hotels. However the Oliva beach is a big disappointment. As a previous reviewere says " not your Caribbean Riu " why not?
The beach is fantastic shame you have to pay for sun beds, nothing to do with the hotel. Sea not safe for swimming as can get very rough but such good fun!
Anyway back to the hotel.... booked in at reception given map as we were staying in the annex ok, found said annex however as the room was at the back of the pool there are no numbers on the front of the rooms which all face towards the pool, arrows drawn on map by receptionist do not indicate this, we wandered round and round evenutally found a maid who showed us to our given room. Oh my what a dissapointment dark, dingy, damaged floor, no tv just about to get emotional, phone call from reception " every thing ok with room? "....... so given keys to different room much better still looking over the pool which was nice, much lighter and very clean.
Next problem, beach towels.. when was the last time I took towels on holiday with me? no idea. Back to reception to ask for towels OMG what a battle. Told we could not have them as we were in the annex. AND!! I informed the very rude lady that we would have to use room towels, she again asked it we had our own towels No!! We were then given a slip of paper to we could claim towels (Yippiee) however as the towels were of such good quality ( ! ) and cost the hotel a great deal of money we could only change them every two days.
Of course we did.
The maid service was ok but another issue, we were there for one week and sheets only changed once again pretty poor IMO.
Next, air con, there is only a fan in the main room and an air con unit in the bedroom. So hot if you woke up in the night the unit would click at 23/25oc reported this to reception told someone would have a look, back again next day because no different then told it only worked between 1pm & 10pm how odd is that we dont usually go to bed at that time. Anyway back next day this time we were told it had been switch off as it was late in the season. Oh dear so hot, unable to leave rear patio doors open as we backed on to the road. Other than the first night we did not have one uninterrupted nights sleep all week.
Food was ok always found something nice. Not impressed with snack bar by main pool just looked tatty. Used both al la carte restaurants thought it would be waiter service as RIU usually are, nope that was buffet to although you do get your wine served. Oh dear RIU.
We are so dissapointed with the standards compaired to the service we have recievd in the past from this hotel chain. Should we expect the same service in Spain yes I think we should. The Oliva is classed as a four star hotel overall I do not think it makes three star.
There are some positives, the grounds are well kept, the annex swimming pool is lovely as is the restaurant on this side, not as busy the hotel side. The enclosed sandy area what a good idea and the whirlpool is lovely too.
Other than that save your money, look elsewhere.
Sorry

2  Thank dorsetjane
Write a ReviewReviews (3,885)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel. We arrived at the hotel at 8pm and were told to go straight to dinner we were told to leave our luggage and it would be taken to our room for us in the annex, but we knew where we were going and took bags ourselves. Our room was spacious with balcony overlooking the pool area. It was spotlessly clean and remained so for the duration of our stay with clean towels daily and clean bedding every couple of days. The whole of the hotel was kept spotlessly clean including pool areas in both hotel and annex. The only thing I would say is take your own hair drier the one in the room is not very good.
The food over the 10 days was even better than when we stayed in May.
There are several places to eat a main restaurant in the main hotel and annex parts.
A pool snack bar for lunch The choice was plentiful and of a very good standard no matter where we decided to eat and were not bored with the choices on offer. The Mandarin restaurant is a Chinese restaurant that you may use but have to book in advance. I rang at 8 am, to book for the following night i.e. Thursday morning for Friday night. It is well worth the visit good food with nice staff.
DRINKS
There were drinks available on self service which included tea, coffee, hot chocolate, slush drinks, fruit juices, fizzy drinks, beer and wine. Spirits and cocktails were available from the bars and there were never long queues. The bar staff work flat out to keep queues to a minimum, well done guys. Thanks
Bottled water is available from reception at no charge. There was a refrigerator in our room to keep it cold.
Staff
All the staff in the hotel were friendly and helpful, and very hard working with nothing being too much trouble.

Location
The oliva beach is not in Corralejo it takes about 1hour 30 to walk along the beach, but a very nice walk.It takes about 10 mins in a bus or taxi.
There is a bus every 30 mins for 1 euro 30 or taxi rank rank out side for 8 euros

The beach is to die for and we will definitely be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Great for beach. a bit isolated but not a problem with good bus and taxi links.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank sturushton
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am beginning to wonder if the people who give this hotel poor reviews even stayed at the the place. We just returned from a two week stay and I saw not one grumpy faced guest at the Riu Club Hotel. The hotel staff, from the reception to the cleaning ladies to the pool guys were all very helpful and friendly. The room was just a standard room, nothing special. A fridge, TV, a safe... The rooms are cleaned daily. The view from the balcony was excellent. The hotel has a sunny side, and a shady side. We were on the shady side, which was fine with me because after spending all day on the beach, it was nice to sit in the shade. The shady side of the hotel faces north, toward Corralejo and offers an excellent view of the ocean, Los Lobos, and Lanzarote. The sunny side faces the pool and I imagine they have a good view of the ocean and the dunes.

Ask for bottles of water at the front desk. After you check in, they bring your bags to your room.

The pool area looks nice and it's very clean. There is a cafeteria by the pool where you can grab a quick lunch – pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, salad. The pizza was great, the hamburgers good, and the salad is what you make of it. I didn't try the hotdogs because the buns were too big. Here, you can order drinks if you like or just do it yourself with beer, wine, soda, slushies. I noticed people get up early and reserve good spots at poolside with hats, towels, etc., then go back to bed. Not supposed to do that, but oh well. Didn't bug us because we are not pool people. We are beach people, and my, what a beach! Very clean, beautiful water and nice big waves. You will find the sand churned up (soft) on your way to the water, so your calves may heat up if you are not used to it. Don't be discouraged by the soft sand if you want to explore the dunes – the sand is hard out there and you can walk all day if you want.

The restaurants at the hotel were better than I thought. The main buffet type restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Breakfast offers what you normally eat for breakfast plus about 150 other things. Want eggs? They have boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelets, deviled eggs... All kinds of fruit (cut and whole), cereals, yogurt, cheeses, cold cuts... it's like: You name it. You will like breakfast, and you will overeat.
Lunch is served buffet style, with an enormous selection of food. We only ate there once or twice as we usually got a quick lunch down by the pool.
Dinners were surprisingly delicious. I don't understand the people who write that they became bored of the food after two days because it's impossible to try everything they offer in two days. They do try to vary dinners and usually have something new along with the regular pork, chicken, beef, and fish. Like jumbo prawns, smoked salmon, rabbit, etc. They have excellent tasting potatoes, and the veggies have a lot of taste. I had warm salad to accompany my meals every time I ate there. They don't have gravy. Instead, they use mojo – green and orange. If there is any room for dessert, there is quite a selection of ice cream, cakes, fruits, cheeses...
There are also a couple themed restaurants (both buffet style), an Asian and a Canary Islands. Both were OK but I think I liked the regular big restaurant best, probably because I didn't go to Fuerteventura to eat sushi, and they simply had more to offer at the big restaurant than the themed places.

By the reception there is a surf zone with free WiFi. They also have computers that you can use for a price, I think it was 2 Euros for 20 minutes. No Internet connection in the rooms, unfortunately.

The entertainment is kind of stupid but the Germans seemed to get a kick out of it. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it, but there were hundreds of seats in that hall and they were filled. Every night.

All in all, the Riu Club Hotel at Oliva Beach is a great place, we had a wonderful time and it appeared as though all the other guests did as well. We will return.

1  Thank Jon M
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just throught i would review this hotel as stayed in sep 11 and just got back from cape verde rir funana and it was £150 more for the week than what i paid for this hotel and was much better.
The hotel was clean and rooms was nice and lovey beach. Food was limited great if you love pork but not much more choice for meat the breakfast and lunch was really nice but dinners was rubbish. Lovely beach and great weather and good location nice shops in the town.
down side - not enough sunbeds at the pool you have to get up early to get a sunbed, you get charged for sunbeds on the beach. only one pool that got a bit packed and gets taken over with airobics and other water games. cockroaches every where at night didnt find any in the hotel but are every where at night reception said they come off the sand dunes and is nothing they can do but they only clean every thing once in the morning where other resorts i have been to always clean every thing at night and in the morning. overall the riu oliva is an nice beach holiday but has some down sides.
would recommend going to cape verde as has 4 pools that are a funny shape so it does not get packed and you have plenty of space and free sunbeds on the beach and plenty of sunbed with shade both on the beach and the pool and has beach bar and pool bar. has a lovely beach better food and 4 themed restruants and is a bit more exulsive as not many hotels on the island and better class of people.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Where to begin? This is my first review and that's for a reason, this place, is indeed reminiscent of Faulty Towers, minus the humour!! I'm still not laughing!
Now, if you've had the luxury of travelling a little, or even a lot - you've probably developed a nose for shabby chic, or indeed, pure opulence?!..Possibly, like me, you're maiden voyage was cheap yet cheerful somewhere in Greece or Spain? You tend to progress from there and research you're next destination..Shop around..I made a glaring error on this occasion!!
I've been to Corralejo about 5 times over the past 20 years..Could be more..Purely for that beach..
Now, I have to condense this rant because, it's even boring me..
Firstly, the location..
The beach is breathtakingly beautiful and sadly, Riu dominates in terms of location - Having said that, I was mortified to have to walk through mounds of ciggy butts to actually get to the ocean..Shame on you, you ignorant bunch of oafs who discard such litter..I even had the displeasure of spotting a washed up condom, coke bottles and other assorted c**p! Nice one people!!
Is this not meant to be a preserved National Park?! Shame on you Corralejo Council or whomever supposedly maintains the area..Bin shaped receptacles normally assist - Unless you're one of the morons who just leave you're rubbish on the beach because you just don't give a damn!!
So, sadly, even location now is questionable..It was a bit more 'preserved'/tolerable near the nudist area, as long as you've got a stomach for overly sun dried bits and bobs! Lol..
So beach, dirty and disappointing..
Hotel..Clearly the Maintenance Dept at Riu hasn't encountered Dulux nor Polyfilla..The rooms are clean ish! They are just desperately in need of a lick of paint and some tlc. The beds mattreses are like Ryvitas..Take from that what you will. 7 nights of comfortable sleep was just a foggy memory..
Er, yes, I was astonished when I was presented with said annex room..Total dump!
I was even more startled by the snack bar near the main pool area..My goodness..What a hole!
If your idea of munching on a hot dog whilst having extremely obese orange/vermilion blokes rub there guts in your face, floats your dingy then, enjoy!
The restaurant near the annex pool was ok..Not bad food..Some of the meat was pants..My nephew nearly asphyxiated on that previously mentioned bacon..So, yes..It was ok..
Staff..Pretty rubbish to be honest unless you tip them..
My nephew broke his arm whilst on holiday..I hasten to add that it was purely an accident..Apparently the Manager wanted a meeting with my Sister, the morning after the incident..She attended and waited for over 30 minutes..He didn't..How professional..
The Thomas Cook reps were very good to be honest so, thumbs up for them..
Look, this place is shocking..Very low standard..
As stated, if you've travelled and like a bit of comfort. If you're over slumming it, save your (£4.5g - Party of 8) hire a villa and a people carrier, drive to the cleaner part of the beach or, book a far nicer hotel and hire a motor..Do not book this place because, you'll regret it..
Oh forgot, air conditioning?! What air conditioning?! Joke..I would also dig out you German Rosetta Stone discs so you can 'experience' the entertainment..They did offer 'crazy games' for the kids..I believe Rifle Air gun shooting was one of them, accompanied by German instructions..Now that did make me laugh!!
May the holiday force be with you..

Room Tip: Book another hotel..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank cheekychopz
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just returned from a 2 week stay here. The first thing to say is that this is not your Caribbean Riu, so don't expect it. However its a good 3 star - if a bit tired in places. Its located on a fantastic beach, soft sand and a very warm rough sea.
We stayed in the annexe, over looking the pool, with no issues. However, it had very little storage (1 wardrobe with 3 drawers) the rest is tables (7 in all - more than an school exam hall). They could change the bedside tables to cabinets? We were located opposite the bar which closed at 1200 and not much noise. The hotel has great views over to Lanzarote, Dunes and mountains, with smaller balconies, but people staying there complained about the noise from the bars below. We were told that if we stayed in the annexe we would not be provided with beach towels as provided in the Hotel, but were soon provided them with a little whinging, so make sure you ask. Friendly staff all over hotel, who remember your favorite drinks, are always smiling. No queues at he bar, and always a table available at meal times. Staff do not wait on tables but collect empties, drinks are good, the Mojitos from main bar went down too easy! Food does get boring after 2 weeks and lots of focus on Pork, a favourite with the other nationalities. It has 2 specialty restaurants, with no charge, went to the Asian twice which was better that Canarian, both get booked up quickly. You have to book the day before and the reservations open at 0800 and booked by 0825. A tip here is to telephone reception just after 0800 and you will get in every time!
It has 2 pools here, one at the annexe which is quieter although lots of children here, good for sunbathing and no issues getting a sun bed/parasol, although some towels appear on the beds around 0800 (it doesn't get light to just before then) The hotel pool is close to beach and also beds available. The sea was very rough most of the time, great fun but no really for young kids, even though lifeguards in place - hence the annexe pool gets busy. If you want he Caribbean lagoon experience and for the kids, take a bus to El Cotillo, which is breathtaking in its beauty and also around the corner has one of the better surfing beaches which entertained us all day.
We did hire a car for a couple of days and there is some great beaches, across the island and all charge similar amounts for beds and parasols. If you go slightly further south of the hotel on the beach (past the nudists) watch the sun go down across the national park and mountains, the shadows and colours make a great picture.
Entertainment here ok with the professional acts, and although the animation team try very hard, (bless em!) it can be laughable.
Went into Corralejo for something to eat a few times, great bars and food and in the square pull up a seat have a drink and watch the free entertainment. Either by bus or taxi its easy!
One thing must say about the 2 weeks is that was very relaxing holiday and recommend it. Probably wouldn't go back as there is too many other places to go.

Room Tip: Annexe is quieter, Hotel has the views but can be noisy from bars below. Ensure check air con works...
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Did not know what to expect after reading all the previous reviews. Some being very bad. We were pleasantly surprised. Having said that the Rui standard in Mexico was much higher. This hotel is definately not 4* but may just about be a 3* plus. Check in was very easy and professional. The cleanliness of our room and all public areas was of a very good standard. We were in the annexe and were expecting a much more well worn room than we actually got. Air conditioning was very poor. Check where your room is situated because there was a lot of noise from the maids pushing trollies past quite early in the morning. Didn't bother us as we are not late risers. We spent very little time in the room. Don't forget you don't get pool towels when you stay in the annexe which is a let down. First Choice advertise the hotel as a Premium grade and you don't get a pool towel! I don't think so! The nice lady on reception took pity on us and gave us 2 cards so we could get some towels. The staff were all very well trained in whatever area they worked in and seemed very happy in their work. We thought the food was pretty good but probably would get boring if you were staying 2 weeks. Went to the Mandarin and the food was very good but disappointed it was a buffet. Normally when you book the a la carte restaurants you are served at the table. For this reason we didn't bother with the Canarian restauant. Drinks service was excellent and we didn't have to wait to be served. The white wine is awful and the red is just about drinkable.

They could do with more parasols around the pool areas. Again we have to praise the pool man. The pools were spotless. He maintained a very high standard of cleanliness.

In all, we enjoyed our stay at the Oliva Beach. Would we go again? If the price was right......may be.

1  Thank Chrissy S