“Kite surfing for a novice”

Flag Beach Windsurf & Kitesurf Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Flag Beach was established in 1988 as a windsurf centre, we now offer all water sports which include windsurfing, kite surfing, surf, body board, SUP, snorkelling and kayaking. We not only teach all of these but also hire out the material and have an exclusive beach front location only metres from the waters edge.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went for a weeks holiday to Corralejo hoping that I'd be able to practise my kite surfing, unfortunately it isn't the ideal ot for a novice as the wind is cross off and there is no rescue cover that you can pay for...... the Kitesurf does offer various tuition packages but as I had my own kit I just wanted to practise, but do so safely........ we ended up hiring a car from Wendy's and headed south to Sotovento to play on the lagoon. The weather was also remarkably better down south....... Flag beach is however a fantastic beautiful spot and has some excellent surfing....

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Recently returned from a Surf holiday in Fuerte staying in Corralejo surfing with the Flag Beach crew and staying in their hostel.

Hostel is basic good clean and ticks all the relevant boxes for a hostel. It's great for socialising generally with like minded people who are often learning to surf as we were. You are served breakfast as part of the deal and get a packed lunch if you're surfing with Flag Beach boys. The surf school come and pick you up in the morning which is great before heading off the days surf spot (via flag beach). Hostel is very central in the town also - ideal.

Our instructor was Aaron, who was magnificent. We were fortunate most days to have low numbers in our group therefore we got lots of one 2 one tuition which really improved our surfing from a beginner level quickly. Even with larger numbers in the following days he was sure to give instruction in the water and on land. In no time we were trying to catch the big green stuff which was great fun and especially in such stunning locations.

We also met some of the other windsurf and kite instructors who joined us surfing when they had a day off. All good bunch of guys and always looking out for your safety even when not on duty. Thanks must also go to Mark, Raf, Marcus, Ben and Scott!

Overall great week, would recommend staying with Flag Beach and/or surfing with them - try and get Aaron as your instructor if poss.

PARTY WAVE!!

1  Thank James A
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I did the Kitesurf course for 2 days from the boat.
The pic up was very good and on time!
The instructors where quite good and knew what they did.
That is why I do give 2 points.

What I did not like that much is, that we had to float/drive around 4 hrs on the boat, since the instructors where told to get us on to the water and get it done, even without enought wind.
The next day was fun and very good! The rest of the week there was to much wind, so there was chance to go out again.

Best would be to book when you are there since there is a No Refund policy.
But if you ask for it you can change to other activities if possible, but you need to ask!

3  Thank worren_beady
BenFlagBeach, Manager at Flag Beach Windsurf & Kitesurf Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

I just wanted to put the record straight on the refund policy we offer. On all kite courses you can get a refund (or try another sport) if there is no wind to complete the course and that is also when you pre book.

Unfortunately during the winter months the wind isn't always as reliable as the summer so courses can not always be completed.

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

I fancied a week away surfing so had a look and found a pretty affordable package through the errant surf website. So, 5 days surf tuition, an apartment, airport transfers, all equipment hire and lunch everyday. Pretty good deal I thought. Travelling alone, I could have gone the hostel route and in hindsight it was a bit cheaper and would have been just as good as I spent a fair bit of time there anyway. Apartment was basic but I didn't expect or need much from it.

Anyway, picked up bang on time in the morning by Aaron who was polite, friendly and chatty. We picked a few more up from a couple of locations, got kitted out with wetsuits and Aaron talked us through the day and assessed our abilities which turned out to vary quite a lot. After a pretty interesting drive through the impressive countryside, we landed at a truly beautiful beach and after a good warm up we were ready to go. This was what generally happened everyday. Aaron had no problem working with the different levels of ability. I wanted to improve over the week and he was cool and wasn't on my back all the time which I was worried about but he made sure he provided some tips and was obviously keeping a close eye on us all.

Because I was on all week I had Aaron everyday apart from one. I was impressed by his obvious knowledge of the islands surf, he got the right beach for the conditions everyday. He really made an effort to make sure everyone in the group got what they wanted from the day and had a generally good experience.

Personally, I had a perfect week. The surf started small first day and steadily got more powerful. I totally didn't expect a photographer on the beach who not only provided some nice affordable souvenir shots but also really useful analysis at the end of the day. Massive bonus. The beach at Tindaya, and the drive to it, is a particular highlight and is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.

Highly recommended and excellent experience. Cheers.

1  Thank Sam H
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Friendly staff. I'm an experienced windsurfer that just wanted to rent kit and go sailing and that is what I did. Price was fine and it was a seamless experience.

2  Thank Andy G