“Awful... powdered chicken, Really?”

La Cantina Mexicana
Ranked #236 of 373 Restaurants in Corralejo
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Awful... powdered chicken, Really?”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We ate here while on holiday recently. I usually love Mexican food but this place was a disaster. I ordered a chicken Enchilada. How wrong can you get this dish? Surely you just grill chicken breast, slice it, mix with some cheese, chilly sauce, peppers maybe, and wrap it up in a tortilla, sprinkle cheese and heat...(even a bad cook could make it edible) What I got was a soggy mess with tiny pieces of chicken mixed with some awful excuse for fake cheese. When I say tiny pieces of chicken i mean it had been minced up into pieces no larger then 3mm across. I think better quality chicken finds it's way into pet food.

I wish I had ordered Fajitas, at least with these they can't hide the chicken inside bread and hope you don't notice it's so bad. I asked for some hot sauce to add some much needed character to my meal. What I got was OK but not very spicy or hot.

The only positive thing was that the Guacamole did seem to be freshly made rather than coming from a jar.

After the meal I felt deeply unsatisfied and like I wanted something wholesome and healthy to say sorry to my body for violating it with this awful slop. It was the only Mexican on the strip and I expect this place does good business in high season, but repeat business clearly isn't something they are looking for when they buy their ingredients and cook the food.

Big shame because when I am away on holiday i do like to eat out.

• Visited February 2013

West Midlands
“Loved it!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

What a find, this restaurant is down a side alley with a chinese all you can eat restaurant next door, all the other bars/restaurants down there were closed when we were there, not sure if that was because of the time of year?
The food here is absolutely delicious, I had the shrimp tacos and it was just lovely, there was lots of it too, i ordered some fries, but couldn't eat them! I didn't make that mistake the second time we went! I would highly recommend a visit here, the staff are lovely as well and very efficient.

Visited February 2013
UK
“Wish I'd checked reviews first!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was craving some Mexican food during our trip to Corralejo, so we stopped here for dinner on a whim. The service was very friendly, but that's about the best thing I can say about the place. The food was quite bland, and I say this as someone who can be very forgiving with Mexican food! If a place can manage a decent salsa or pico de gallo and some fresh tortilla chips, I'm very happy. However, this place did not. Also, it felt as if everything had been microwaved.

There are definitely better places to eat in town.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank cakeinoz
Dublin, Ireland
“Pretty average mexican-style place”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I can't comment either way really - this is an average place for the meal, but nothing special really. I had taquitos for a starter, which was allright, and I had burrito for the main, and it was below average - loats of sauce outside, but mince inside quite bland and dry.

The good things are service and prices - with it being good and not too expensive restpectively. Overall, may be good for a change, but there are better places in Corralejo.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ddartt
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Wicked food!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went here twice during our stay in Corralejo this month & what fantastic food! I'me a lover of hot spicy food and we had the Chimichanga on our first visit, which was gorgeous. On our second visit we went for the sizzling Burritos & that was even better than the first meal. If you're into hot & spicy Mexican, be sure to visit this eaterie - it's fab!

• Visited November 2012