“First stay at Bahiazul”

Bahiazul Villas & Club
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have stayed at Bahiazul many times and always enjoy my stay there. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. The dinners were excellent as food is fresh and tasty while the service is warming. The villas are well presented and well maintained everyday by the cleaning service. When we feeling like going out of the house, the main city center Correlejo (only less than 10 minutes away) has many water activities, cheap but good restaurants and pubs. Overall my experience in Bahiazul, Fuerteventura was very relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
BahiazulVillas, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahiazul Villas & Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear Customer,
All the team Bahiazul, Villas & Club, want to thank you to provide us your feedback, for us is very important to meet your satisfaction.
And of course we hope to see you again soon in Fuerteventura

Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I stopped at Bahiazul Villas for 2 weeks returning home on 16 September 2013.
We booked through Inspired Luxury Escapes and unfortunately the holiday was far from luxury.
We emailed the resort the week prior to our holiday to ask a few basic questions. They misunderstood this and replied that the resort was fully booked for the next 2 weeks. This concerned us as other reviews had said how quiet and deserted the resort was.
We arrived at the reception at 11:40 am and the first words out of the Receptionist’s mouth was – “you booked through an agent”. He then said the villa had to be cleaned and would not be ready for a couple of hours. He told us to come back about 2pm. Other than a couple of seats in the reception area, there was no where else to spend that time. The Receptionist pointed us in the direction of the nearest bar/restaurant and/or the town. We were told to leave our cases containing valuables etc in the small, hot security hut at the entrance – far from ideal. We were concerned about the security of out belongings and mentioned this, but were told they would be fine. (You can imagine how we felt when just before receiving our keys a German couple walked past us and after a short conversation their cases emerged from a locked room behind the reception!) We set off for the town in the clothes we travelled in, not ideal in the heat. Luckily we were wearing sensible footwear, but not sunscreen. It was further than we expected to get to the town.
We got a taxi back to Bahiazul at 2pm. The villa was still not ready. I refused to move. We were very tired and weary by now. We finally got the keys at 2.40pm. When we entered our garden villa we were very disappointed at the level of cleanliness, especially due to the 3 hour wait!
Issues with the accommodation.
1) The TV was not set up and after a fruitless conversation with reception I had to install the AV channels to get sky news and a film channel in English.
2) The cooking facilitates were basic with a worn cooker hob with no oven.
3) The iPod connections to all areas were not working. We had to get this fixed.
4) We asked for a non-smoking villa only to find the large plant pots full of cigarette ends.
5) When we first went to use the Jacuzzi it was filthy and I took a sample of water with unknown things floating to show the management. It obviously hadn’t been cleaned. The pool cleaner came and I had to insist he fully empty the Jacuzzi as he was not going to do this. The Jacuzzi is pre set to 30 degrees which makes it just about ok to use whilst sunbathing on the roof. We saw no one at all enjoying an evening dip. It’s just to cold and the management point blank refused to raise the temp as it breaks the motor. It’s certainly not a hot tub!
6) The pool was dirty and had a scum mark around the edge. Obviously not cleaned. We chose not to have the pool heated as that would take it to just 26 degrees which is 4 degrees colder that the jacuzzi and not worth the +20 euros a day. My wife never got in it. To make matters worse, the sun didn’t get on the pool until around 3pm, so didn’t have time to warm up.
7) Our main concern was the lack of privacy. We had villa 8/13. It was at the end of a row which was overlooked by public footpath on 2 sides. The other side of the road was another development which was higher up than our villa and therefore overlooked us as well. We could not sit in the roof top jacuzzi or sunbathe upstairs without being overlooked. If sitting by the pool, pedestrians walking past could look down on us and more worrying into the living area of the villa. Although the bedrooms had blinds the living area had none. Some villas around us had internal or external living room curtains. Out villa had a curtain rail outside, but no curtain! I asked the management if they could rectify the problem. I was shocked by the reply: "The villa is not ours it is privately owned and the owner will have to sort this out." I tried to explain this wasn't our fault but was then told that the resort doesn't advertise that the villas have curtains! I was getting very flustered and eventually they said they would see if they had a spare set of curtains. Needless to say the curtains never materialized so we resorted to draping blankets over the wooden pelmets every night, not luxury. Since returning home I checked the Bahiazul main website HOMEPAGE (below) and found a slide showing external curtains!
8) The villa was cleaned (term used loosely) 3 times during our 2 week stay. The first two times took just 15 minutes the last one 45 minutes. We had no idea when the maid was going to turn up, even though we asked.
9) The location of the resort can be a problem; the top of the main town is a 30 minute walk. Then it takes about 20 minutes to get to the harbor (without shopping en route). The closest beaches you can see if you look to the right just outside the entrance took 50 minutes to walk to across a mini desert.
10) The free Wi-Fi was extremely patchy. For example 90% of our skype calls dropped out during conversations. We did notice a LAN point in the main bedroom that may or may not be of use to anyone with a laptop and lead.
11) You have no control over the air con temperature. It is set at 23 degrees; the management said “People were getting sick because they had the temperature to low that why it’s set at 23 degrees.” I asked for someone to come around and place it on manual which reception said they would organize. No-one came.
12) There are no instructions in the villa with regards to how to work the Jacuzzi, air conditioner, washing machine, iPod system, TV or DVD.
After the curtain incident I felt that I was complaining about something everyday so I did not complain again as I had totally lost confidence in the management to sort out our concerns.
Good things about the resort and villa.
1) Very good main shower
2) Breakfast as good as eveyone says.
3) IPod music in all rooms, when it worked.
The restaurants along the harbour are the best and average 50 Euros for 2 people 2 courses. The hotel restaurant is also worth a visit.
The beaches by the 2 remote hotels are good fun with big waves. Shops and taxis are available here as well as small bars in the dunes on the beach. The beaches to the right of the hotels are the best but be aware that the further right you go the more nudists appear mixed in with normal sunbathers. Eventually you do come to a full nudist area. Sun beds are 3 Euros and parasols the same.
The big volcano to the left as you walk out the entrance takes around 30 minutes to ascend. It’s difficult and you shouldn't attempt it in flip flops. The 360 degree views are spectacular.
So to sum up the accommodation: even though we were told the resort was fully booked, at best, it was only 30% full. What this indicates is that most villas are owned by private individuals and are vacant. We felt that because we booked through an Agent, we were treated differently than by people booking directly with Bahiazul themselves. The villas are not luxurious. They are tired, on top of each other and even if you pay a ridiculous amount you will probably not use the pool. We were glad that we had an early morning flight and had to leave the Villa at 7.30am. (Unfortunately this was too early to get breakfast – we were told to go to Tiffany’s approx 10 minute walk away!) As the villas have to be vacated by 11am, if you have an evening flight you really would be left to your own devices!
We will not be returning!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Dave281267
BahiazulVillas, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Bahiazul Villas & Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2017

Dear Dave281267

Thank you very much for your Detailed comments. The satisfaction of our customers is the most important for us.
And aslo it is very important for us to improve, and we give your opinion a great value.
As you should know the official check in is 14h and the check out at 11am, this information you will find it in the web and in the factsheet, also with the information of your touroperator.
Bahiazul Villas & Club provide a villas rent with extra hotel services, we do have luggage room, next to the security house and a courtesy room also to offer the guest the possibility to showered and get changed after your checkout in case your villa will be occupied again. Normally we are fully booked, that's why you can't expect the villa to be ready as soon as you arrived. Thanks for your understanding.
Please remember if you have any queries you can always contact your reception, they will know how to help you immediately, like asking for an oven.
The Standard cleaning is every 4th day, as you have booked (this information you can see also in our web or in the fact sheet from the touroperator that you have booked with), but you can always book extra cleaning service, or daily cleaning if you prefer, or you can just ask to change towels.

The photos on our website reflect an accurate image of our villas nowadays.
I am truly sorry for the unpleasant experience you had before.
It is a long time since you visited Bahiazul Villas & Club and I may inform you that these inconveniences will not occur again.

We do renovate constantly our villas to offer a high standard villas, this depends on the occupancy.
We are known for being a very relaxing establishment, where the guest can enjoy of a very lovely and quiet holidays.
The location of Bahiazul is perfect to enjoy a relaxing holidays out side the town center and close enough to visit the town within 5 min drive, or aprox. 30 min Walk.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back soon in Bahiazul.
I hope on your next visit you will appreciate the improvement and I assure you, you will have a even better experience and we will exceed your expectations.

Kindest regards,
Marceline Abadeer
Bahiazul Villas & Club

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I own Hotels so will try to give as honest a review as I can.

Good points, good space inside but kitchen area small
showers very good
pool small but good
upstairs area good
music system useful
pool guy good

problems
welcome pack not in apartment, so after long journey no milk etc
ants everywhere
ipad chained to wall ! so connecting to music a no no
bad wifi need to go to roof
hot water scorching hot dangerous
no oven or coffee maker
beer coffee and ipad extras not really worth the money and take up to much room in small kitchen
hot tub on roof not heated
long way from town you need a car
only two loungers
table on roof needs stools to use not chairs that are to small !
planting areas need plants and ones by pool are all green no colours
maid service no one for 4 days then every couple of days?
needs a bit of care, painting etc

But I did enjoy the place, but there was only three of us, with six people I think it would be to small, a bar onsite would be a good idea as you have to travel to the town

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ray B
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My friends and I have just returned from a stay in Bahiazul Villas. There was three couples and one infant in our group. Our first impressions when arriving at the complex was wow. The complex is designed in a white, blue Grecian style and looks fabulous even on the drive into the complex. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly French security man who showed us where to go. The reception area is modern and stylish and gave a great first impression. The staff were also very friendly and made our check in very simple. On arrival at the villa we were so impressed by the decor and cleanliness and were very excited for our stay. We enjoyed cooking on the BBQ most nights as there was a handy supermarket just a stones throw away with very reasonable prices. The town was about a 20 min walk away on a stoney pathway. So most nights we got a Taxi to the centre which only cost €4 for 6 people. We only encountered small things that we think could be improved on. For example our Jacuzzi when turned on would trip the electricity in the whole villa and we noticed the same happened in the neighbours but after a call to reception we were helped very efficiently. Another small problem we had was the wifi, when one person logged in the other was thrown out and it would not work most of the time. Another thing that might be improved on is that from about 9pm when we tried to call reception there was never anybody to answer. We had a problem with the electricity one night but nobody answered luckily one of our group could fix the issue. As I say these our very small things that might be improved on other than that we had a wonderful stay. The complex is very relaxing, quiet, clean and safe all the things I look for when booking a holiday. If I might give one thing which we thought might have made our stay even better would have been more towels and a small fridge upstairs. Other than that we really had a lovely time and cannot wait to visit again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

3.Taxis are cheap and plentiful
4. Breakfast one of the best we have ever had
5. Excellent tapas at Pincha Cabra - lovely old fisher man cottage

Bad points
1. Air conditioning locked at 23 degrees centigrade - much to hot to have a comfortable nights sleep - this is the reason we would not go back.
2. Next door villa had 6 very loud people in who were on their balcony until the early hour of the morning. Lighting their barbeque with what I don't know - but black smoke billowed into to our villa until past 1 am - meaning we had to close our doors. Hence even more difficult to sleep. Tried to ring reception but they close at 10pm.
3. I think it would take about an hour to walk into the centre of Corralejo

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Kim2013456
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Me and my husband went for a week at the beginning of September. At that time, the resort seemed very quiet and we saw very few people at Biahiazul which meant we really did have a very relaxing time. This villa complex is absolutely wonderful. We went on our own but these villas would be great for groups of six friends too. For me personally, due to the layout of the villas, I wouldn't like it as a base for 3 couples but that is just due to how I like things and I am sure it would be fine for others. They are very spacious with everything you need in the kitchen area, what I found really helpful was the thoughfulness around coffee filters, washing up liquid etc, all those little things that you so often end out having to buy but only use tiny amounts of! Here, all those things were taken care of.

We booked through an agent of some kind and included a transfer from the airport with the costs. This turned into a farce and we had long delays for transfer waits etc. To anyone I would say, just get your flight and jump into a cab when you get to the airport - the cabs are plentiful and it costs about 40 Euros direct to Bahiazul from the airport.

The resort is very secure and the staff, all of them, simply cannot do enough for you. They really are a great bunch of people from reception, security gates and restautrant.

There is a restaurant facility on site which provides breakfast (this is included in your charges) and is a buffet style with everything you could possible think of from pancakes and waffles, fry ups, fruit salads, cold meants and cheeses etc etc. There is filter coffee available and it is one of the few 'machine' coffees that I have found that is actually good. For those (if like me) who really want a good coffee to start to the day, you can actually have it here. Breakfasts are served through until 11am everyday apart from Sunday.

There is also a bar and restaurant facility in the evening on the villa complex. We ate here on our first night, the setting and staff are lovely and they did bring numerous little extras to us as we ate and liquers afterwards but we found the food itself a little disappointing. Now, that needs to be qualified by the fact that on subsequent evenings out eating in town, we generally found the quality of local restaurants not very good. I'm not quite sure why as the produce available locally is good and varied. So, this restaurant in the complex is the same in terms of quality as others, I think it's just a Feurteventura thing.

After 3 nights eating out, we gave up and shopped at the local hypermarket (literally less than a ten miute walk away). We bought plenty of charcoal and giant prawns and steaks and other lovely goodies and then used the rooftop bar b q each night. This was sheer bliss, music of our choise, the jacuzzi warming up, the lit swimming pool glimmering below - really, really, lovely. If you need to refresh, read some books, relax and 're-boot' then this really is a wonderful villa to do it in.

The area of Fuerteventura itself is not that inspiring at all, we did find some nice bars to have a couple of drinks in the old part of the town, The Rogues Gallery, a quiet little bar run by a lovely English couple, The Blue Rock Bar, just around the corner from the Rogues Gallery is definitely one for finding out anything at all!

If you call reception from the villa, they will call a cab to come and pick you up at the villa, it is 4-5 euros right the way into town. Get taxis to take you to the end of town and then where you get out, just walk straight a head a few metres and you will arrive in the old part of town. Here at weekends there are band performances and lots of street performers entertaining those enjoying a drink in the bars, cafes and restaurants.

As I said at the beginning, these villas are great for relaxation with everything taken care of, if, in a sense, don't need anything from the place you are in, this is perfect but the town and island itself offers very little.

If the spa aspect is important to you, do check that it is open. When we arrived we were told it was closed for refurbishment. We didn't see any work being undertaken at the spa and I have a feeling it may have been more a case of not enough people there to make it worth having open.

If you are travelling with young children, you will need to supervise very carefully around the pool areas and I would suggest ensuring you have DVD's to play as TV in English is extremely limited!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RCB6219
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I went for 2 weeks at the end of August 2013. Its perfect for couples or larger families although bear in mind the comments about young children and the pool/room arrangements.
Hired a car from the airport using Cicar. A Corsar cost 170 euros for the 2 weeks. It had 50k kilometers on the clock and had a few scratches but it was clean and tidy and served its purpose and given the cost of transfers I thought it was amazing value.
We arrived at 9:30pm so there was no reception but the restaurant staff sorted us out very quickly and the security guard showed us to our villa. First impressions - we were blown away. The pool at night with the lights on was awesome and it was all ours for a fortnight. Being so late we ate at the on-site restaurant the first night and it was one of the best places we ate at during our holiday. We ate there on another 2 occasions. They even have a book with photos and ingredients to match up with the menu. The waiters are so friendly and the bar is an ideal place to get a taxi arranged whilst you enjoy your first drink of the night.
We found the cleaning regime adequate and had no problem with the aircon. The iPod dock was used every day either to play the radio via my iPhone, to stream Spotify and to play music from my iPod. The WiFi was faultless.
The power shower was amazing with 6 side jets as well as the main jet.
The pool is cold when you first get in but once you're in its fine and the high walls mean you get plenty of privacy although when you go up the stair to the terrace you can see into next door.
If you want to use the jacuzzi - which we did - make sure you switch it on 30 mins beforehand so that it warms up. The fizz is so cheap over here its rude not to pair it with the jacuzzi (Freixenet - gold bottle)
The lack of an oven wasn't a problem. Used the BBQ several lunch times instead. We were told about the breakfasts but personally I thought the cost was high and we enjoyed the flexibility of having the kitchen. The local supermarket is fantastic and only a few hundred yards up the road. The meat/fish counter was unbelievable. This supermarket is shut on a Sunday so if, like us, you arrive on a Saturday night you have to go further afield. My advice would be to only buy enough to get you through the Sunday and then use the local supermarket. It has everything. We even got some great sun cream (200ml) for only 2.5 euros.
We walked into Corralejo most nights. It took approx 25/30 minutes to get to the bottom of the strip where all the shops are. From here we walked to the far end where there are restaurants/bars by the sea. This took another 20 minutes so 45-50 minutes in total but as we'd been lazing around all day we enjoyed the walk. Unfortunately you do get hassled by people outside every restaurant on the way up the strip but a polite "no thanks" was enough for most. We always got a taxi back which cost 5 euros.
Unfortunately we weren't able to get a late check out as they were full so we left our cases at reception and went down to the Dunes beach. They have sunbeds for 3 euros, with an umbrella, and there is a beach bar with a grill for sandwiches. One word of caution - there are naked people even in the public groups.

This is a very classy place to stay and there is so much choice of places to eat/drink in town. If its one of the places you've considered my advice is book it - you wont regret it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple