“Best Choice in Norton/Wise Area”
Review of Holiday Inn Norton

Holiday Inn Norton
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Norton
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For decades, a six-story steel structure set as a skeleton in downtown Norton...after many years, the skeleton finally was fleshed out and the Holiday Inn was born. This is a nice property...much nicer than the old Holiday Inn down the road that has been allowed to run down as an unflagged property.

The hotel features a friendly staff, a rooftop restaurant and bar with good service and good food at a very fair price and convenient access to US 23.

i had a very spacious corner King deluxe room that had a sofa, easy chair with ottoman, micro/fridge unit, work station and even a Jacuzzi tub in the bath. This is by far the nicest choice in the Norton/Wise area, and I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tjl3845
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

The Staff and Management thank you for staying with us. We strive to make your hotel experience the best ever. We appreciate all comments and suggestions and they are always reviewed with our team because we feel there is always room for improvement to ensure guest satisfaction.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Thanks for your patronage.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I sensed something was different about this hotel shortly after check-in. Many reviews said it was a newer location, but my hotel "sixth sense" told me otherwise. The only entrance is through the front doors, some steps in the stairwells are different heights and sound transmits easily inside...all tip offs something didn't strike me as the usual newer property. I asked some folks I worked with and they told me a steel frame was put up on this site back in the 1980's and left exposed to the elements for quite some time. It was only about 4 years ago that it was finally finished and given the Holiday Inn name. This would explain some of the oddities I suppose. If you've stayed in any HI properties built within the last few years you would know what I'm talking about.

The rooms are extremely basic or as I like to say "spartan". They are clean, of decent size and well kept, but the beds are hard and the furniture on the inexpensive side. My room had all kinds of dead space in it and although the wallpaper is nice, outlets are far and few between and the desk was not even a desk. My 17" laptop fit on it with only a couple inches to spare on both sides. More workspace would be nice considering the emptiness inside. Housekeeping does an excellent job on the rooms which is most appreciated. Two of my dresser drawer handles were broken off and the bed creaked even under my modest 180lb frame.

You're in coal country here and as many other reviewers said, get an odd numbered room so you'll be on the front side of the hotel. An even numbered room and you'll have tractor trailers and trains to put up with. On the front side it's only trains you'll hear. I've never seen a hotel that offers earplugs upon check-in. Now I know why! The parking lot gets crowded quickly and can be a bit difficult to navigate in since parking is only available on the front side of the hotel. It's partially unfinished as evidenced by the structure sitting as a steel frame for so long.

I didn't eat in the restaurant upstairs during my 2 plus weeks here, but there are three restaurants straight out the front door. You have Romano's Italian Restaurant, Mi Finca Mexican Restaurant and a Japanese Steakhouse called Yamato's. Traffic isn't bad in town and the local residents seemed pretty friendly. The internet tended to be on the sluggish side during most of my stay. The fitness center is ok...it has two treadmills, two bikes and a stair stepper. No USA Today newspapers were available in the lobby, but you do have the paper from nearby Kingsport available. Not all rooms have refrigerators and microwaves inside, but if you ask the front desk staff they will get you a mic/fridge combo if one is available.

All in all not a bad place to stay. Not quite what you'd expect from a recently constructed Holiday Inn in terms of comfort and overall build quality as evidenced by my initial paragraph, but in an area with few hotel choices, I imagine this would have to rank among the best of 'em.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are quieter than rooms on the back side
3  Thank Pinlifter
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Pinlifter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Recently spent two weeks in this hotel and was not impressed at all. First off the hotel may say Holiday Inn but nothing reminded me of a Holiday Inn. The funiture was cheap, with stains and torn leather on the desk chair. The walls are extremly thin which makes for a loud hotel. If you do stay here ask for a odd numbered room so you will not be forced to listen to coal trucks go over the bridge behind the hotel. There were even ear plugs offered in my room if that tells you how lound it gets. I found the internet to be extremly slow and unreliable. Expect a cold shower if you don't shower before 8am. The resturant/bar was nice and had decent food.

Also during my stay we were hit with bad weather, mainly freezing rain and sleet. The first morning after the storm my car was covered in ice. I went to the front desk where they had a ice scraper for their guest's to use, which I thought was really nice. I returned to the hotel later but had to leave again. Once again my car was overed in ice. This time when I asked for the ice scraper I was told one of their employees took it home beause the employee didn't have one at their home! Also I guess the hotel does not have a contract with a snow removal company because the parking lot was never scraped or salted after the storm---2 days later the sun eventually melted it all.

The staff was alwasy friendly and helpful. And my room was always cleaned really well. As many problems as their is with this hotel I'm not sure if the other hotels in the area are any better.

Room Tip: Ask for a odd numbered room
1  Thank G-Man09
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Holiday Day Inn of Norton. We always strive for our guests to have the best hotel experience every. Our hotel staff does a wonderful job and we always share our guest comments with them. We appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. During your next visit to our area please come by for a complimentary dinner at our excellent restaurant.

Again, thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Norton VA for a couple of nights on a business trip. The hotel staff were professional and courteous... Room was clean... The restaurant on the 5th floor had a great bacon cheeseburger.

The only problem with the hotel is excessive traffic and train noise due to location. Definitely request a room on the parking lot side, as far away from the train tracks as possible.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank AdamEDQ
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate all your comments about our hotel.
We want our guest to have the best hotel experience ever and that is our goal at the Holiday Inn of Norton.

Please feel free contact us if we can be any assistance on your next visit with us.

Thank you again and look forward to seeing you soon!!!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

When I look at reviews from Trip Advisor I try to look first at the negative reviews first to understand the problems that travelers have had. Often there are proper concerns and often they are just off base. So for someone to complain about coal trucks or an occasional train in the heart of coal country is downright stupid. What do you expect. This fairly new Holiday Inn is exactly as described in other reviews. As a relatively new facility with excellent and safe parking it is right as you enter Norton, Va. The rooms are comfortable, clean decently appointed. The restaurant fills the bill. If your coming from afar, there is no need to worry when you stay here.

1  Thank raberdon

We appreciate all your wonderful comments about our hotel. We want all our guests to have the best hotel experience ever.
Thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

stayed here during the Christmas holiday. the room was fantastic, the bar tender was roude
and not in the sprite of Christmas. kept saying how much she hated Christmas. the so called
5 star restaurant really sucked. do not order the potato soup, and do not order a grilled cheese
sandwich, tasted like it was basted with old fryer oil. the ribs so called bbq ribs had no flavor.
went for breakfast the next morning, my eggs were over cooked, the fryed potatoes had been
fryed maltible times so hard could not eat. ordered a pork chop and got ham instead. they said

that was their pork chop. so with that saying, do not eat at the restaurant. 2 thumbs down!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

We at the Holiday Inn want to thank you for staying with us and appreicate your business.
At this time we would like to apologize for any inconveniences that ocurred during your stay.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss your stay with us as we want all our guest to have a pleasant experience at our hotel.
Again, thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here based on Trip Advisor and Yelp reviews. I'm glad I did. I was quite tired after a long day when I arrived. Check-in was quick and the young woman at the desk was friendly and efficient. My king room on the fourth floor was squeaky clean, nicely appointed, the wi-fi was super fast and the bed was extremely comfortable. I awoke refreshed and discovered that my window revealed beautiful mountains with tops shrouded in fog. I was happt to discover that the showerhead was high enough for my 6'3" to actually stand under. This is rare and I always appreciate it. The water pressure was good and strong. Breakfast in the grill was delicious and the service was courteous and prompt. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jlatham42503

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of our hotel.
We want all our guest to have the best hotel experience ever.

We appreciate your business and hope you will visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norton
Days Inn Norton VA
Super 8 Norton VA
Super 8 Norton VA
#1 of 4 in Norton
Best Western Of Wise

Been to Holiday Inn Norton? Share your experiences!