“Horrible dining experience.”
Review of Magnolia Kitchen - CLOSED

Magnolia Kitchen
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We went there for lunch, and brought some out of town guests. We raved about the place because when we visited in March, everything was excellent and we were excited to have a decent local alternative to Applebee's. Things have changed! In the 1.5 hours we were there, we received only 3 of the 5 meals that were ordered. It took 20 minutes to bring the water, and I was told it was not possible to get water without ice in it. We were never brought our soups until we asked about them, and the two draft beers that were ordered were not brought until we asked about them repeatedly. The waitress told us that only 1 person was working the grill and that the servers were having to help prepare the food. At one point I was told that all the food was ready and that the server was checking it to make sure it was right, but then we never received it. She later (20 mins or so) told us that the other server had taken several of our orders to another table and that the cook would have to start all over. At that point we just asked for the check and for the orders we didn't receive to be taken off. The server did and gave us a 10% discount for our trouble. The food that we did receive was pretty good, but not worth the 1.5 hours for lunch and many many mess ups. Just go to Applebee's.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was my first visit to the Magnolia Kitchen, my wife had been a few times before and loved it each time. We have a family of 5 and while there is not a "kids menu" they do offer chicken tenders and offered to make our daughter macaroni and cheese. The menu is varied from Cajun to Asian and everything in between. We tried a variety of dishes and everyone was satisfied. The service was good, there was a small error by the server but she corrected it promptly. Save room for desert as they all sounded terrific. We went with the bananas foster bread pudding and it was awesome. I would drive the hour back over there just for the bread pudding!!

1  Thank hokie-tide
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Nice outside decorating the facade. Inside is divided by a small dining area & a medium- sized one. Our waiter rattled off the house special which we didn't have. I had a shrimp po' boy w/ fries- just ok. Really plain not that good. It was served hot though. The heavily breaded shrimp were tiny. The fries were huge & unsalted. Well TA family another one bites the dust. Skip this one- ya'll.

1  Thank Stinkybrat41
Reviewed July 12, 2014

It started when our server assured us she was not sick jst had a frog in her throat.I think she was under the influence of something beside stupidity. She staggared around before she finally pulled up a chair and sat down at our table Then she wipped her runny nose with both hands. We asked for another server and she was great. The first served did come back to our table, put her arm around my shoulder, and apologized if she offended me. I was not offended just grossed out. Pathetic management should have sent her home. Food was good. sauce on chicken was greasy and separated. Should have made the drive to kingsport.

1  Thank Wesley W
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Magnolia Kitchen does not disappoint. The menu has plenty of choices, and I've never had a bad meal on my visits. I go at least once a month. Save room for dessert. The decor is interesting, but the outside of the restaurant is lacking. I would likely have never entered the place had I not heard from friends that it was worth a visit. Service can be hit and miss, but most of the staff are friendly and seem to take an interest in their customers.