“Great Waffles, But Beware The Sneaky Safe Fee”
Review of Days Inn Norton VA

Days Inn Norton VA
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Norton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Waffles, But Beware The Sneaky Safe Fee”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for two nights to attend my nephew’s graduation . I chose this hotel for the price and for the free breakfast. I highly recommend the waffles you can make yourself. They are VERY good. Besides waffles they offer cereal, toast, yogurt, and a few other things. The rooms are fine and clean. The bed was a little high. I’m 6’2” and had to do a “hop up” to sit on it. Shorter people might have to do a running jump. There was also a big soft chair, and a desk with a chair. The sink/vanity area was separate from the actual bathroom that had the toilet and bathtub/shower. I travel alone, so that’s not a big deal to me, but to others it might be. My view was of the motel behind this motel.

The room description on their website said there would be both a microwave and refrigerator, but there was no microwave in the room. The towels were threadbare thin in some places, looked bad, and should be replaced. The TV was an HDTV, which was a good size and had many channels and DirecTV. The WiFi was good.

I had trouble finding someone at the front desk a lot of the time. I’d say 70% of the time I walked by the front desk there was no one there. Which brings me to my biggest complaint – the sneaky safe fee. There is no sign at the front desk, and nothing in the paperwork in your room, about this safe fee. There is small print on a little sticker on the safe, but if you don’t use the safe you’d have no reason to look at it. This hotel charges you a “safe fee” whether you use the safe or not. It is then up to YOU to discover this fee on your bill and ask them to remove it. Very bad policy. I only knew about this fee from a relative who had stayed here. I learned about it from the relative after I had checked in. So upon returning to the hotel carrying two bags of heavy groceries I go to the front desk and stand there five minutes waiting to tell someone I won’t be using the safe and don’t want to be charged for it. No one ever showed up. I started knocking on the counter. I then started shouting ”HELLO! HELLO!”. Still no response. Glad to see the hotel is so secure. Anyone could have walked in and gone straight up to the rooms.

I then got back to my room and tried calling the front desk. I let it ring 30 times, no one ever answered. I hung up and called again later. It rang 30 more times with no one picking up. The owners live on site, there is no reason for no one to be home or for no one to be there running the hotel. I waited 15 minutes and tried again. Finally a flustered sounding man answered. I told him I would not be using the safe and didn’t want to be charged for it. He said “OK fine” and hung up. When I checked out they did not ask me to sign anything, agreeing to charges. The woman just handed me my bill folded over closed and said basically said “bye”. I open it up and see a $1.50 safe fee per day plus a “Safe Tax 1" for six cents” and “Safe Tax 2" for eight cents for each entry. The state of Virginia charges two different taxes for a hotel safe rental???? This whole thing sounds very fishy.

I told the woman at the counter I did not use the safe, I already got confirmation that I would not be charged, and I wanted the charges reversed immediately. She said she could not do that, and the owners who live on site couldn't do it until they came in later, but she would call me at 10am when they would do it and let me know it was done. She did not call me at 10am. She did not call me EVER. I then had to call the hotel a day later, where I got what sounded like the same guy who said I would NOT be charged in the first place. Rather than getting in a fight with him over why I was charged when he said I wouldn't be, I just asked him to remove the charge. He said it would be done and a couple days later a credit appeared. So that you don't have to jump thru hoops like I did, say upon check-in you will not be using the safe (not sure if that will do much good) and when you check out study your bill carefully. They are making extra money off of people with this sneaky charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank World_Traveler_6216

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Milton, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here our second night in Norton since the Best Western was booked. Room was clean but the bath towels were kind of small. Breakfast was kind of let down and we ended up going out to eat. Beds were comfortable enough. The heater in our room took forever to warm up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TheColliers09
Asheville
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great value for what you get compared to a couple of other hotels nearby. My only complaint is that you have to jump through hoops to get signed onto the internet, I'd rather they just charge me a few more bucks than have to sit through adds and gimmicks before getting online.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norton
Holiday Inn Norton
Best Western Of Wise
The Inn at Wise
The Inn at Wise
#2 of 2 in Wise

Been to Days Inn Norton VA? Share your experiences!