“Disappointing”

Mirabo de Valldemossa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Valldemossa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had high expectations for this hotel after booking the hotels 'best' room! Les Porche des Ovejas. At 375 eur per night you would expect a little more than we recieved. We arrived to see no one around and rang the bell several times and no one came - I am assuming it doesnt work. We finally caught the attention of the chef who went to get someone. We were shown around the bar ish and lounge area as well as the celler, which isnt all that great. We were shown to our room after not being assisted with our luggage and left to it. We went to have a look round the pool which is a short distance away from the room and there were some upturned noses as we walked round. It seems that the Mirabo has only returning guests never new ones! As we found out that they were all rather chummy with Antonio the manager. The room was in a slight state of disrepair - pieces of the concrete floor missing, the light was missing from in the wardrobe. The housekeeper needs training there were hairs in the bath. The toilet flushes too quickly and this makes water go all on the floor and on the seat. The furnicture has white covers and these were all stained. I could post some nasty pictures but I have decided to withhold these for my own enjoyment - and to show to others that I have been quite nicely ripped off here! The only part of excellence that I can recognise is the chef was brillaint and the food is really lovely and she was very flexible with our late request for dinner. Antonio the manager seems to pretend he knows what he is doing and then you find out later on that he doesnt! In our room folder it says they did crepes and bacon - we asked for these and he said he has never done either?! He gives the same advice to everybody by pretending to circle some good places on a map and then they are completely the opposite of what he describes them as. He has a list of restaraunts which is a complete waste of time because we couldnt find not one on the list! My whole family owns and runs hotels for a living - this place needs serious work and I would say to anyone thinking of going be careful if you arent part of the magic circle then you might not feel very welcome. One last thing to add is we did ask if this was the best rate they could do and we recieved a blunt reply of yes, all the tripadvisors are written by the people who the mirabo survives on (repeat guests) so dont believe a word. As for the best hotel in Valdemossa - that remains to be seen!

Room Tip: Ask for a clean one
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dell470

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our fourth visit to Es Mirabo and I can't wait till the next time. Beautiful location with glorious views over the valley to the sunset over the Cartuja at Valldemossa. Uniquely relaxing atmosphere with gentle music, birds whisking in and out of the stonework, cicadas ... you often have the pool terrace to yourselves. Antonio is the most assiduous and thoughtful of hosts, and his staff are friendly and well-trained. Breakfast offers plenty of variety and eggs of any kind are cooked on request, I particularly enjoy a wee omelette. The dinner menu has been extended and it's lovely to dine in - but be aware that the helpings are large! We reckoned that it would have been wiser to share a starter so that we could do justice to our main courses. But this is a small quibble. I'd happily have spent another week there ....

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique, worth taking time to decide which one you'd prefer
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Whilst staying in Majorca, my husband and I with another couple treated ourselves to a night's stay at the Mirabo and what an experience this was. Antonio greated us on our arrival and made us feel most at home. The accommodation was perfect - my husband and I had the Valldemossa room which had wonderful views of Valldemossa. The food was freshly prepared and could not be faulted. Anyone wanting to find a peaceful retreat, Mirabo is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

What can I say, it really doesn't get any better and it was the perfect start to our honeymoon. It's so relaxed it's horizontal - you even help yourself to drinks from the poolside fridge and charge them to your room on an honesty basis!

We stayed in the detached Ovejas suite which was stunning with a big window and terrace overlooking the valley and Valldemosa beyond. The jacuzzi bath was an added bonus. We were also visited by a pine marten which appealed to my Attenborough sensibilities!

The pool area and the views from it are something else!

Don't be put off by people complaining about the access from the main road, it's a sinch and adds to its charm.

Antonio, the manager, and the rest of the staff were really friendly and welcoming making it that extra bit special.

In short, go but don't tell everyone...sssshhhhh!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Mirabo is tucked away about 200m on the main windy road to Valldemossa - we shot past it first! Doubling back to find the dusty track I was (1) pleased I'd hired a 4x4 and (2) apprehensive - is this the entrance to this place - really?! The drive up is fine though and any car can handle the eight switch backs through the lemon trees (fab to run up too!) We arrived, parked in the car park (no charge) and met Antonio, the wonderful host at Mirabo and his little dog Luna.
Rooms: we had the suite, a triple aspect room over looking the mountains and the courtyard. It didn't have a balcony but beautiful rustic shutters and a room with real character - beautiful marble floors, comfy couch and a seprate bedroom with a superbly comfortable bed. This was a bigger room than most I believe and possibly worth getting one with some outside space in the sun.
Food: delightful and pretty well priced. We had paella that came in at EUR 40 for the two of us. Breads were top notch too and the breakfast eggs are spot on. Don't expect The Atlantis, Dubai style buffet breakfast but what there is, is great - fresh meats, cheeses, cereal, toast, freshly cooked eggs etc. Perfect way to start the day is the fresh orange juice!
Location and atmosphere: you can walk to Valldemossa in about 30 mins or do a nice 5km run through the paths in about 20mins. The setting is just idylic - the mountain views are superb, the air is fresh and clean and the trees rustle all day - it really is so tranquil there and plenty of room to spread out around the pool.
It's simple - just stay here. We escaped London / Kent for four days and despite persistent rain, I'm going to return in 5 weeks to sample it in the sunshine (I hope!) Not badly priced and the host, Antonio will make you feel absolutely more than welcome. We had some great dinner conversation every evening with the other guests and I do believe that the type and quality of guest is testament to this great little find. Slightly reticent to review it it's so good!! Book now!

Room Tip: Sorry - not going to share this with you in case we return at the same time!!! Any of them will be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hidden away in the Valldemossan Mountains, Mirabo enjoyes a spectacular view. The food is typically Mallorcian and so fresh you have to order it in advance. When it arrives you won't be disappointed - mine was one of the best Spanish meals I've had. The hotel is simply and stylishly furnished in a way that boasts its stone structure dating back to the 1300's. It's a leisurely 30 minute walk into the village of Valldemossa, where there's a great Sunday food market. Antonio and his beloved Luna are exceptional hosts who will keep you well looked after and entertained. But the honesty-bar-style service means you have all the privacy and relaxation you could wish for in this quiet, romantic setting.

Room Tip: For those looking to book a less expensive room, Buhardilla is a beautiful room up in the rafters wi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank earcher
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I am a well-travelled professional writer. If someone had asked me to describe the perfect place to stay, I would still not have the words for what I found. The calm, choice of exquisite places to sit, the layout, furnishings, details - all chosen by a knowing eye. So much space - with all rooms full one was yet aware of solitude and an unspoken sense that everyone staying was at home.
I felt I had been invited by a benign and generous host to his own home - only he was nowhere to be seen and I had permission to wander anywhere. One can't put a value or quantity on such things. Time is a strange thing - I was there with my daughter for 2 nights only, and that only because the first choice hotel couldn't accommodate us for two of the nights and recommended Mirabo. Yet it is present in my memory as though I had stayed a year. If you do nothing else in your life, make sure you experience this combination of beauties. Antonio, who looked after us, was a perfect presence. Nothing better anywhere, I'm sure of it. I am compelled to go back there in June, and I have never done such a thing, two visits and only a few months in between. Too much to lose.

Room Tip: All rooms are shown on the website. It isn't possible to choose a good room, since each has its...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valldemossa
Valldemossa Hotel
#2 of 8 in Port de Soller
Hotel Sa Pedrissa
Hotel Sa Pedrissa
#5 of 7 in Deia

Been to Mirabo de Valldemossa? Share your experiences!