“A place of many happy returns”

Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A place of many happy returns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have submitted a previous review of the Biomar, and since then have been back twice - first visited August 2012 and returned twice last year in August and September. Like previous reviewers Sa Coma is not the greatest of resorts and the more I explored the less I was impressed. The Biomar however is certainly the jewel in the Majorcan crown. It has everything you need and more. Service is second to none and the food is excellent. I know good food and am a keen cook and I cannot agree with the reviewer who said that the meat was of a poor standard, I find it to be of a high standard and well cooked. Although, the argentinian meat platter served in the Terrace was raw - even for me - and I find that argentinian meat to be a poor second to good scottish organic produce. However, I was willing to give it a try and some folks really enjoyed it. The buffet is excellent for both breakfast and dinner and the Al Fresco dining is a definite winner. The hotel was busier last year than the previous year but staff still gave a great service and always with a smile. I have stayed here alone, and with friends, including teenagers who loved everything, especially the pool and the Terrace Grill burgers. If visiting with family please remember that you have access to all of the Protur group hotels and activities so check it all out before you go and plan a great trip.

I booked a double deluxe and the space was great. This is a very large room with great storage space. I have also stayed in a junior suite and this also is perfectly adequate. Last year I thought that some decor update was required as some areas were looking tired, but I daresay that management will have this in hand. The poolside beds are very comfortable, but again they were looking tired and the curtains on some were badly worn. I'm hoping that this has been addressed. I would be disappointed if this was not the case, but for now I am still giving the Biomar 5 stars for overall experience.

The entertainment is good and sitting in the bar or chilling at the poolside area is a lovely way to end your day. I overheard a woman complaining last year that there was no karaoke! There is, but thankfully it is outside the hotel and hundreds of yards away.

It is a popular hotel providing a great service, the value for money is excellent, to those that criticise queues ( only small and never for long) in the dining room and the standard of food then may I suggest you book a villa and self cater? You get what you pay for and the Biomar delivers this and more.

I am heading back early August 2014 and looking forward to a great time.

A big thank you to all the staff who work so hard to make that possible.

Room Tip: pool or reception view best from block nearer reception and view of either pool best from other bloc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank kitchendiva g
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
On behalf of all the staff, we would like to thank you for such a nice review. Our goal is to make all our guests feel at home and happy when visiting us. We look forward to seeing you again at the Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Read reports about the hotel and area before going, as it was our first time to Majorca and we were a little bit apprehensive of the unknown.....but as far as the hotel was concerned we couldn't fault it. We had also been told that Sa Coma would maybe a liitle quiet but it suited us just fine.When we arrived we were upgraded to junior suite,room 214. Housekeeping was excellent. . Food: Extensive choice for breakfast and dinner. Excellent choice of meats, fish, salads, puddings, cheeses, pasta, I do not think anyone would be disappointed with the food. We particularly enjoyed the extensive selection of puddings, they were gorgeous. Waiter service excellent. Pool: The pool is well maintained and the gardens are too. Plenty of sunbeds available and poolside service provided. There is a separate large pool for children Water was a bit cold for us to go for a swim but enjoyed time spent sitting around pool.The staff were all so friendly and nothing was any trouble for them., The Hotel Manager is present during breakfast and dinner and he makes everyone feel incredibly welcome and makes you feel like a valued customer, top marks to them all. This hotel goes the extra mile to keep their customers happy and to ensure they have a happy holiday. We are hoping we can return to the hotel again soon and maybe expolre the area a bit more.

8 Thank c c
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 10 nights in August last year. The year before this we had stayed at the Sa Coma Playa and would come over to the Biomar for drinks in the evening, we preferred this hotel so decided to stay here last year.
This year I would have liked to try a different hotel because the resort isn't great but when looking through the brochures/internet no other hotels in Majorca compare to this hotel. You can't have everything! We are staying for 7 nights and just plan to relax around the hotel and go for walks. In Sa Coma itself there's a good frozen yogurt bar and the beach is nice to walk along and go for a coffee. Theres also a decent Spanish place called El Sol. (The resorts not the worst I've ever been to it's just not like Puerto Pollensa, for example.)
The hotel really is worthy of 5 stars with lovely food, drinks and nice fresh coffee at breakfast. The theme night also deserves a mention, where everything is moved around the pools and there's a selection of lovely quality food including sushi and iberico ham.
My kids love the little hut at the pool where they can do arts and crafts and come and go as they please. There's a separate pool for families with waiter service and It's a good hotel for families who like nice things, it really suits us!! Can't wait to return.

Stayed July 2013
6 Thank lisa_a
We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always gratifying to receive positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle, Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was our first visit to Majorca.
Reception: Arrived just before lunch, as we were celebrating a special occasion Alvaro on reception upgraded us to a junior suite, room 116 on the first floor overlooking the pool, thank you Alvaro it was appreciated. Reception staff were efficient and very helpful, also thanks to Luis the porter who assisted with our luggage.

Bedroom: Two large comfortable beds, bedside tables and lamps, large mirror above the dressing table with conveniently located plug socket. Full size hairdryer provided which could be used outside of the bathroom, great idea. Storage space was plentiful, iron and ironing board provided. The air conditioning worked quietly and efficiently 24/7 which I loved, I set it at 16deg for a lovely cool room. Balcony with table and chairs, we enjoyed sitting on the balcony at the end of day watching the swimming pool change colour, very relaxing.

Sitting room: Sofa bed, chair, table, tea, coffee, milk, kettle, replenished daily. Mini bar / fridge. Additional storage space. Second balcony. Housekeeping was excellent.

Bathroom: Large with a big bath, separate shower and toilet, double basins, toiletries supplied together with bathrobes and slippers.

Food: Extensive choice for breakfast and dinner. We felt no need to use the a la carte restaurants on offer as the food was excellent throughout our stay, every evening was like dining out in a lovely restaurant. Excellent choice of meats, fish, salads, puddings, cheeses, pasta, I do not think anyone would be disappointed with the food. We particularly enjoyed the extensive selection of puddings, they were gorgeous. Waiter service excellent.

Pool: The pool is well maintained and the gardens are too. Plenty of sunbeds available and poolside service provided. There is a separate large pool for children and a paddling pool with summer house with toys for toddlers. We used the indoor pool on one occasion which was great, however, the weather was so good we did not use the spa.

Bar: Entertainment is low key and relaxing. There is an outside terrace which is lovely and heated during cooler evenings. A separate outside entertainment area is also available, however, that looked as though it would be used during the summer months. Good selection of cocktails.

Area: We visited between the 5 and 12 April and the area was pretty quiet, perfect for us, many of the shops, bars and hotels were still closed, we loved it. The weather was blue skies, sunny and warm every day. Lots of cycle routes and flat walking areas to nearby Cala Millor, Cala Bona, Silliot and Porto Christo which are all worth a visit. Remains of a castle are nearby, reached via a scenic country walk, the scenery is lovely between the countryside and sea, the spring flowers were in bloom which added to the beauty, on reflection we think spring is the best time to visit if the weather is good.

Best things about the hotel: The staff are excellent, the Hotel Manager is present during breakfast and dinner and he makes everyone feel incredibly welcome and makes you feel like a valued customer, top marks to them all. This hotel goes the extra mile to keep their customers happy and to ensure they have a happy holiday. We have such lovely memories of this holiday which will stay with us for many years, we will return in the not too distance future. Would be recommend, definitely, you will love it.

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the pool.
9 Thank Jojojoro
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, our location and our cuisine. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in April 2014. It was a business trip and there were lots of us here. But the hotel did not falter on any service aspects. I arrived at the hotel at about 11:00 pm and was absolutely pleased with the warm welcome at the reception plus assistance with the baggage all the way to the room (not very common in most European hotels that I have stayed in).

Food was excellent, even though only the buffet restaurant and bars were open. I guess we had the privilege to have some typical Mallorcan sweets and savories because it was organized by our hosting company. But the food really was excellent. The service in the restaurant was also exemplary!! I must say that the waitresses and live-station chefs were most elegant, helpful and friendly!

The only thing I would have like to have better is better access to the gym. Being a business trip, we were caught up in the conference from 9:00 am - 5:30 pm on most days and the gym, that is connected to the spa, was only open from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. But there is a beautiful reserve just outside the hotel that provides for a mild-to-vigorous walking/trekking option that allowed me to burn some calories every morning.

All-in-all, it was a great stay. Kudos to the hotel for its efficiency and friendliness.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor to escape any noise that may come from the bar late at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Mithun B
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel staff, breakfast and dinner service. Regarding the gym, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The gym opens daily at 10,30 am. In order to use the gym from 8 - 10.30 am, guests are required to contact the hotel reception who will be only too pleaed to open it. We are sorry if you were not given this information and trust that this oversight did not detract too much from the enjoyment of your stay.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We often go on strenuous touring holidays. However, over Easter we wanted something relaxing and chose the Protur Biomar Gran Hotel purely on its reviews on Tripadviser which were some of the best reviews we’d ever seen. We booked two weeks as part of a package and were a little apprehensive because we had read that the hotel was in a largely a purpose-built resort (which often means English and German without a hint of anything Spanish).

Although the Biomar is a very large hotel, its occupancy level seemed quite low because it was at the start of the season. Most nearby shops were still closed. We’d booked a junior suite which was very nice with enough room to allow two people to feel at home and not cramped. Storage space was good (unlike in some hotels). The bathroom facilities were excellent, although the bathroom was en suite with no separation from the bedroom – I’d prefer a separate bathroom.

Although the hotel is large, we are in a separate medium sized block - four stories - arranged round a central space (almost exactly like Hilton's Embassy Suites).

Décor at the hotel is generally good and a little understated.

The grounds of the hotel are beautifully manicured and the hotel itself is opposite a little rugged peninsula with several tracks suitable for walking or jogging. At this time of the year, all the flowers were in bloom and the area was most beautiful. In spite of my reservations, I was pleased with the area. It’s also excellent for walking or cycling.

The staff were all delightfully friendly, helpful and spoke excellent English.

Both breakfast and dinner were buffets with self-seating in the dining room which was reasonably spacious and you didn’t feel cramped. Breakfast was good with a very wide choice of both hot and cold dishes. Dinner was quite fantastic. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this was the best by a long way. The range of starters, main courses, and deserts was fantastic. Each course was usually exquisite (every day) and I would say that the standard of each meal was that of a celebratory meal at a good restaurant. The quality of meat and fish dishes was superb. If you like food, you would not be disappointed here.

Of course no hotel is perfect and there are always a few areas where you raise your eyebrows: for example, our bedroom had a table lamp with a power lead but nowhere to plug the lead! The plates at breakfast were unheated which meant that your food could be a little too tepid (I found that if you had food cooked to order they used a warm plate and that solved the problem).

Would I come back? Yes – absolutely. Would I recommend the Biomar? Without hesitation. Moreover, because this is a rather upmarket hotel, I couldn’t help but notice that the guests were very well behaved and generally quiet. Finally, I have to thank Tripadvisor for pointing me in the right direction.

Room Tip: High floor for a better view. Unfortunately, we were given an east-facing room so we don't get a...
7 Thank ProfessorClements
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Managed to get a last minute deal for 7 days and never been to Sa Coma before.
This hotel really deserves 5 stars what can I say, the food choice and quality was excellent, the cleanliness of the rooms and hotel in general was first class, the staff are the happiest and most polite of anywhere I have stayed, they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
The hotel has free WIFI (with very good coverage) makes it easy to keep up to date with family and friends via social networks. A unexpected bonus for us was access to free bicycles and locks which allows you to cycle on the dedicated coastal cycle paths to other resorts.
Brilliant!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank JimTheChimp
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We will pass on your kind words to the staff and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sa Coma
Hotel BonSol Resort & Spa
Park Hyatt Mallorca
Park Hyatt Mallorca
#1 of 14 in Canyamel

Been to Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!