“Relaxing holiday”

Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Biomar for seven days with my husband.The resort has so many great reviews and I would agree with just about all of them. We were uprgraded like so many other reviewers to a suite when we arrived and I find this to be a nice quality in a hotel, they are very generous and not at all stingy with their ammenities.
Among the best things was the "adults only" pool. As one of the few couples staying without children, this was a fantastic idea. The pool was quiet and relaxing and had it's own bar. Of course there is another pool for families that looked quite nice as well.
We stayed half board and the food was excellent, however I am a vegetarian and while in most cases you can tell whether or not certain dishes have meat them, you can't always. It would have been nice if the food labels were marked for special diets, especially because the hotel already makes the effort to provide for many specialized diets, which was very much appreciated.
Having said that, the staff is very polite and helpful and the several times I asked about the food they were very accomodating.
The entertainment was nice to have each evening. They had one entertainer each night. I would agree with one poster that it would have been nice to have some of their other bar/venues open rather than just the one but I'm guessing this may be a staffing issue considering the resort is quite large. Certain areas of the hotel look like they are never even used but every inch of the territory is immaculate. With so many guests the cleanliness is truly remarkable.
The area around the hotel is fine, pretty much just a resort block. It was pretty entertaining for us to stay on the resort most of the time and I saw this was the case for many other guests as well. We did go to the beach a few times as it is just a five minute walk away (in case you do get bored of the pool and spa). The immediate town on the walk to the beach is just a bunch of little eateries and souvenir shops, nothing special but not bad if wanna go for a little stroll.
Overall a relaxing and enjoyable trip. I would absolutely recommend a stay here and we may even be returning here ourselves in the near future!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the grounds and partly the street but it was not at all noisy. A pool view does...
2  Thank Button511
There are newer reviews for Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Ill try not to repeat other comments from reviewers which I agree with in the main.
We've just returned after 10 days at this hotel. We had a junior suite on the first floor which was very spacious, light and airy. Walking around the beautiful gardens some of the rooms, especially on the ground floor ,looked very dark due to the foliage outside their balcony.
On arrival we were shown to the room and my requests for a different pillow and to empty the mini bar so we could use it as a fridge were met quickly. the AC was excellent and the rooms were quiet except for a very noisy cockerel at a nearby farm !!
Im not a breakfast person and usually give up afterthe third day but I didnt in this hotel. The choice was amazing, catering for everyone and very peaceful if you are early risers as we are.
Dinner was another matter though - why do people let their children wander around the buffet unaccopmpanied.? I lost count of ther nunber of times we saw young children sticking their fingers into the desserts and dropping serving spoons. The staff did their best but if you picked a busy time it was a bit like a canteen. The show cooking was OK but the chef had a hard time keeping up with the orders and it was a bit of a scrum ordering and receiving your food. Especially as the show cooking is next to the hot meals and people cannot get into these dishes for the 'queue'
The staff are very friendly and speak perfect english. The grill bar is pleasant for a lunchtime snack but we were unhappy at the price of the soft drinks (3.50 for a small Fanta yet only 3 euros for a glass of wine!!) so we visited a small bar very near to the hotel called Es Passeig. This is very reasonable, they serve the most delicious paella and the sangria is large and strong - be warned,
The entertainment on a night is in the piano bar and is of a good standard however this was spolied on a couple of occasions by very small children running amok throughout the set. The Saxaphobia Funk project (7 guys with drums, bass, keyboard and sax) on a Sunday is excellent and was the highlight of the week.
There are 2 pools - the childrens pool and adult pool where in theory under 16s arent allowed.Generally this was observed. The towel bandits however were in evidence and if you werent at the pool by 7.30 you didnt get a sunbed. However as we left letters were put in all rooms requesting people not to reserve sunbeds so hopefully its improved.
If you cant be bothered to go to the spa then they come to you - I had 2 massages by the pool from Sandra. 20 euros for 20 minutes of relaxation - priceless.
There is a red line bus service running up and down the coast and to Palma. This was a very regular and efficient service and the reception staff will give you a timetable.
We did wander into Sa Coma but it definitely wasnt for us and we soon scurried back to our little oasis - the hotel. However if you go through Sa Coma to Sillot which is about a 20 minute walk its much more Spanish with little tapas bars etc.
We also loved Porto Cristo and Cala Rajada from which we got a boat to the Caves of Arta - similar to Drac but smaller and less crowded.
All in all a lovely hotel - I just wish we could have picked it up and placed it in a different location.

Room Tip: High floor
2  Thank Singstardiva
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 5 month old and I have just returned from a week at the Biomar and overall we were very impressed.

The rooms and the staff are the two major positives of the hotels. I have seen a number of reviews where people have said they were upgraded to a suite and it looks like we were also upgraded (but without fanfare). It was probably as modern a hotel room as we have stayed in. Similarly every member of staff was nothing but helpful and friendly, especially in the restaurant.

Staying on the restaurant, the breakfast had a very good selection of fruit, meats and cheese with fresh omelettes available. There was a wide selection of bread though this wasn't really of an artisan standard but more of supermarket style of ready made bread put into the oven. The pastries were similarly artificial though muffins and cookies were good.

The starters for dinner were outstanding - a wide array of salads and small dishes that changed every night. The mains were ordinary, a series of dishes and veg being kept warm and as such becoming mushy. However there was fresh meat and fish cooked which was good - though would have been improved by increasing the seasoning or marinating. Desserts were generally good though variable.

I also found that the wifi could have been better. There was none in the room and round the children's pool, signal was dictated by where you sat.

Sa Coma itself was rather too anglicised for our liking. The bars didn't look too appealing (we sat in a couple) though the beach looked nice. The main street in particular looked like a British seaside resort.

I'd like to qualify my review by saying that the rating of 4 out of 5 for this hotel is affected by the fact that the hotel is 5* rated. We had a lovely week, and were it 4* rated I would have given it the highest grade. I just feel that there were a couple of areas that could have been better for the standard of hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank HolidayHal
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed between 5th the 13th July. This was our first trip with our eight month old baby and stayed for 7 nights on a half board basis. The hotel is excellent and well set up for couples and families. General Manager and Restaurant Manager are always visible and attentive, and the staff represent the hotel well. Very professional and friendly. My wife and I have been fortunate to travel and stay in some of the nicest hotels and we have been delighted with our decision to stay here. Food is also excellent, the Chef has a tough job at times having to cater for lots of people at peak times but copes admirably. If you're into your gym and spa the facilities are first class, they've done a great job of linking the hotel and spa together. The only thing I have to add for those reading up on the hotel, whilst we can't say enough good things about the hotel and staff, the same cannot be said for sa coma which is a dump!

Room Tip: The junior suite is great for couples with baby's / young kids
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mansos
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and i have just had the pleasure of staying here for the second time for a week in June 2013. We stayed here in 2010 and if anything i think the excellent service that we had the pleasure of enjoying the firts time around as actually improved over the years, i guess this comes with the fact that it was pretty much a new hotel then and the staff have grown and honed their respective skills. I cannot find any fault with this hotel and enjoyed the stay so much that we have booked to go back again on the 30th August 2013 for another week. I think that speaks volumes for the hotel, they have many many returning guests. That has got to be the strongest endorsement any hotel can get.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a very enjoyable week(22/6/2013 to 29/06/2013) at the Biomar.From the minute we arrived the standard of the staff was excellent,they could not do enough for you,nothing is to much trouble for them.We have travelled and stayed in some great hotels,but I have never seen such a high profile from upper management.The food was excellent and the enterainment at night waswell above average.The only real complaint I had was the fact that only one bar was open at a night time when there are another three bars in the main hotel that never opened,apart from that we had a great time

Room Tip: the rooms facing the pool have the most sun
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Third time now here and without repeating myself or others who have reviewed this Hotel, if anything it has got better.

Staff under manager Antonio are the best I have had the pleasure to stay with and a credit to all.

Only point I would make is whilst the restaurant Chefs in the evening do a admirable job, the layout of the show cooking area does sometimes lead to overcrowding, undercooked food, misplaced orders and some residents becoming irritable .A minor point which I am sure could be addressed.

I always like to thank a member of staff and on this occasion would like to personally thank waitress Lourdress who was exceptional in her manner and conduct.

So any many thanks for a great stay and hoping to return before end of season.

1  Thank tommy059
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you had a good stay in our hotel. We will look into your comments regarding the restaurant and will pass on your best wishes to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sa Coma
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Port de Soller

Been to Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!