“Amazing hotel, already booked to go back”

Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel, already booked to go back”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited this hotel from the 6th to the 20th August this year, I have to say it exceeded my expectations it was fantastic. I really couldn't fault anything at all, every member of staff was friendly and polite at all times, they work so hard from the maids to the bar and waiting staff, everyone. They all deserve praise of the highest order. People have criticised the size of the pool, but for me as a mum of a 6 yr old and an 8 yr old it was perfect as we could see where they were at all times if neither of us fancied a dip ourselves. The sunbeds were close together but I didnt see that a problem at all. The isssue of people reserving beds is the same everywhere, my husband went down about 9am every day of our two week break and always got two sunbeds near the pool, we never once had an issue. The food was out of this world, I have no idea why people would slate it as one very recent reviewer has. I am a very fussy eater in terms of cleanliness and a little paranoid about tummy bugs and have to say I was extremely confident about this hotels food and the quality of it. My kids tried loads of new foods which I really enjoyed seeing. I was never at all bored with it as there was just so much variety for every meal it was supurb. The entertainment team worked so hard, my son even performed in one of their shows he was buzzing. I was pleased that the noise didnt go on all night, the hotel went nice and quiet at a reasonable time. I thought the rooms were lovely, especially the bathrooms, the showers were really good. it was really good for the beach and there were shops and bus stops outside the hotel. I cannot stress how great this hotel was, I am already looking to book next years holiday but nowhere I find seems to live up to this one and I can see us booking it again. Thank you so much to all the staff you deserve a huge pat on the back.

Room Tip: We were in block A room 1603 and had sun afternoon and evening, shade all morning
2 Thank Vikki M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 3 aug to 17 aug. Rooms are excellent, the hotel is extremely clean, staff can't do enough for you and the food was great with plenty of choice. Yes the pool was smaller than I had expected for the amount of rooms but it was still absolutely fine in my opinion. One side of the pool was shaded for some of the day as the sun was behind the 7 storey building, but i was very glad for some shade because it was really hot - i didn't think this was any big deal personally. The hotel is in a nice location a few minutes walk from Sa Coma beach which is lovely. We did parasailing and went on the banana boats which was great fun. For my birthday staff arranged a surprise cake for me and when I got back to our room there was a bottle of bubbly on ice waiting for us. My daughter had to see a doctor whilst we were there because of earache, reception couldn't have been more efficient in helping us and a doctor was knocking at our room within 15 mins. I have read some of the other reviews which said about the sun beds being close together, they are, but this didn't concern us whatsoever. Yes it was busy around the pool but what do you expect in August? It was also busy on the beach. We had a lovely holiday, never had to once queue up for evening meal or breakfast in the main restaurant. Things were very well organised. I would definitely recommend this hotel, we had a lovely holiday we won't forget!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nikki B
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here fore 2 weeks in August (03.08 / 17.08. 2013) with my husband, son, daughter-in-law and 18 mth old grandson. Lovely hotel room - rooms next door to each other as requested - superior room in B block, immaculately clean, wonderful shower - all mod cons. If you like sun on your balcony then request C block, but to be honest we were around the pool or on the beach everday until approx 6pm when we returned to change for dinner, so it really didn't matter where the sun was and was just great to get to our air conditioned room and away from the wonderful sunshine for a while.
Food was very good (lunch could be a bit predictable), but there was a pool bar cafe for lunch as well, if you didn't wish to don clothes for lunch. Also during the day beer, coffee, soft drinks were self service which was good, although the pool bar was open for cocktails etc.
What can I say about the entertainment - in house entertainment was run by Aarron who worked extremely hard and was supported by Imke and Perle, but Aarron did the best TRAIN for the children in the evening. I did enjoy the in house "Moulon Rouge" - (although very cheesey) put on by Aarron and team, ably supported by staff from other Protur hotels in the area. They all worked so hard. Professional entertainment was very good, some I liked more than others - this was usually over by approx 10.30pm then the lovely Aarron would get the energetic amongst us on their feet for a half hour workout until approx 11pm so not a noisy late night hotel.
The pool area was very crowded in and out of the water, not a lot of room between families, BUT it is the high season. Same old story with the early morning towellers, but if you cant beat them .......... How do you solve this problem, don't think it is possible in high season. I cannot agree with a comment I read about the pool being dirty. Every morning the pool was thoroughly cleaned and was beautiful for an early morning swim, but when you have then had hordes of people, kids, lilos etc all day the pool obviously doesn't look its best by the end of the day.
Most people didn't shower prior to swimming sun cream was also going in the pool.
However, still very inviting for a quick swim at the end of the day. More space around the pool would have been great, but there is always the beach a maximum of 5 mins stroll away and there were lovely showers on promenade, so no need to return to hotel all sandy.
I have never written on trip adviser before and I think this is a lovely hotel for families. My only niggle would be when sitting round the pool, their would be the music from the pool bar and then occasionally there would be different music from the stage end - not good when you have your head in a good book. However, I am speaking as a grandmother and it didn't bother my son or daughter-in-law.
A lovely hotel I would return to in high season with my family, great family resort. But if going on holiday with just my husband then it would not be for me - unless out of season, then I wouldn't hesitate to return. Forgot to mention all staff were very helpful, friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: My tip dont worry about what room, we read all the advice and were so confused.It doesn't real...
4 Thank anne b
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We've only been here a few hours but alas already want to leave. Normally I believe you make what you will out of a holiday.. However I've never been so disappointed before.

The weather is great and the rooms are beautiful (it's only saving grace) The staff seem pleasant too.

The poolside is its worst feature! We plan on trying the beach tomorrow. There are NOT enough sunbeds to go around and when you finally manage to snag one, you're physically touching the person next to you (and when there's a vital lack of deodorant, it's none too enjoyable).

There's only one fairly small pool for the 7 floors of guests. It's always in shadow at some point (with the courtyard being small and cramped) ... but this could end up a blessing? It's not the cleanest pool with lots of vegetable matter & empty plastic disposable cups from the self service pool bar.

There is no escape from the dreaded entertainment. It's blaring, with dreadful euro trash pop and hoards of screaming children.

The food I'd say is comparable to (old school) Butlins. With bland insipid green beans (the only vegetable on offer) stale rolls and poorly disguised cheap meat smothered in dreadful sauces. I've never considered myself a snob, but they're making no effort to put out decent food, though I will say the salad is always fresh (avoid the shredded carrots though, they're pickled).

All in all I've come to the conclusion that perhaps given the quality of other 4* & 5* hotels I've stayed at, I've perhaps been spoiled? I'll never recommend this chain, instead try the Gran Bahia chain... Consistently excellent & above & beyond. Sadly unlike this chav infested bland sardine tin.

Sorry I couldn't put it nicer.

• Stayed August 2013
10 Thank StephanieEarnshaw
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
We are sorry to hear your comments and that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We can assure you that the majority of our guests, as you can see by the majority of comments left on tripadvisor, are very pleased with the hotel and all of the services on offer. We are sorry that was not your case.
Maidstone
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed as a family of 4, with 2 teenagers, for the first 2 weeks of August. We had 2 adjoining rooms, which really are as nice as everyone says - very big, 2 twin beds, sofa bed, coffee table and flat screen TV, dressing table and double wardrobe, mini fridge and tea making facilities, and a lovely marble bathroom with rainfall shower. Maid service very day and linen change once a week.
The staff in every part of the hotel are so friendly; just a really nice bunch who obviously are proud to work for Protur and it shows. Food is excellent, varied every day, and always kept nice and fresh, even during the last 30 mins of service, they were bringing out new dishes. There's a main restaurant and a pool bar/restaurant for lunch times/mid-morning/mid-afternoon snacks.
If pushed, I have 4 criticisms - 1) the lifts haven't been 're-furbed' as the rest of the hotel has, there still quite small and antiquated which is a shame as the rest of the public areas are great. 2) The layout of the hotel is not a great design when it comes to the sun during the day, but don't make this an issue - go to the beach which is a 2 minute stroll with your drinks(!), and set up camp there, beautiful white, soft sand which shelves into the clearest blue sea. 3) The old story of sunbeds and towels is a pain, but I'd like to think probably only an issue during July/August and once again if you use the beach, who cares?? (The worrying thing is the hotel is 95% Brits!!)
4) The pool and the pool area, as a whole, is a little on the small side - they probably, in high season, could do with another pool and some dedicated day time activity areas, as having to listen to the First Choice Rep's Welcome Talk 2 or 3 times a week by the pool became a bit monotonous!! Also, they could offer so much more day time activity if they utilised the space they had a little better. However, the night entertainment was great (if a little cheesy sometimes), but always of a good standard, and hey, you're in Majorca in the summer - what do you expect?!!
I really am nit-picking with the criticisms above because it's a beautiful hotel, which I am sure in every other month of the year is absolutely spot on, it just struggles I feel in high season, as a lot of hotels do.

Room Tip: Block A - sun in the late afternoon/evening. Block B lower floors - sun in the middle of the day. Bl...
3 Thank LisaMaidstone
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have recently returned from a fabulous 10 night stay. What a lovely modern hotel we thoroughly recommend it & would love to return another year. We had 3 superior rooms on the 7th floor. Very comfortable & fantastic walk in showers. My husband & I travelled with our 21 year old son & 18yr old daughter & a couple of very good friends. Despite telling our kids that it was not a party resort & Sa Coma was not known for its night life they still managed to have a great time. They recommend the Kings Head, a 15minute walk away when all hotel entertainment finishes at midnight. Great bar very lively. The food is excellent, always a great choice even for the fussiest of eaters. Show cooking section would recommend, The staff on reception & in the restaurants & bars are always very friendly & nothing was too much trouble. Entertainment manager Arron along with Imke & Perle went out of their way to ensure everyone had a great holiday from the tiniest tots to the teenagers & above. They became good friends to us all whilst we were there. Thank you for that. My son really enjoyed the competitive games Arron ran each day especially the Table tennis & Badminton & not forgetting the Water Basket Ball. The older members of our party enjoyed the daily game of Bingo.I am sure anyone looking at this hotel won't be disappointed. Wish we had stayed for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: If you want afternoon & evening sun, ask for a 7th floor room opposite side to reception.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were here from the 6th Aug -17th Aug 2013, and this was our second visit to the Palmeras playa. As soon as you walk into reception you are treated like an old friend, the reception staff (especially Claire) cant do enough for you, they are friendly, very helpful and will always have a chat. The bedrooms are amazing, very big, well furnished, and very clean. Cleaners do a fantastic job throughout the hotel. The restaurant staff give 110% all the time, the food is top quality and so much choice. The pool and pool bar are clean and well staffed. I would highly recommend this hotel, whether as a couple or with children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Hipotels Marfil Playa
Hipotels Marfil Playa
#9 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel? Share your experiences!