“Best sandy beach in Mallorca”
Review of Som Siurell

Som Siurell
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Milan, Italy
“Best sandy beach in Mallorca”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here for one week in September 2012. The hotel is in the city center, 2 minutes walk from the beach. Our room was big and clean, with a little balcony and sea view. We chose the all-inclusive option and it was advantageous and convenient. Food was acceptable, maybe a bit "fast-food style". There is no car park, but you can leave your car on the street, in front of the hotel. The staff was kind helpful. The majority of the guest were from Great Britain. There is a pool with some sun beds, but we had no problems to find a place, probabily because it was September.
The beach is great: long and sandy. The only black mark: there is no wi-fi.

4 Thank albus09

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Me and my Wife stayed at the Paraiso Apartments for 9 nights Self Catering from 05th October 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. The apartments are large and airey and always kept really clean. Nice views from the balcony, request high floor end room 1/11 for the best views. I requested that and was allocated room 711, which is top floor on the end with the best views. You get a good view of the sea and the beach and inland too and sun on your balcony from sunrise to sunset. We didn't use the bar or the dining room so are unable to comment on them, We didn't really use the pool or the sunbeds either but the pool looked adequate and clean and there were always plenty of sunbeds, we just prefered long days at various beaches on the East Coast, meals out (JJ's usually). Catering facilities are 2 hobs, Kettle , toaster ample pots and pans and cutlery etc. I did a Full English Breakfast one morning and an Evening meal One night we didn't feel like going out and prepared daily picknicks for the beach and never found myself short of anything I required. Can't say too much else about the Paraiso but I'll definitely try to return in the near future if I'm able to book it. I've read some stuff on here about some German company taking it over from Hipotels but I'd be suprised if its not bookable by anyone who pays the going rate on the internet regardless of Nationality. Quite liked Sa Coma even though I tend to prefer the more secluded beaches, I like to snorkel and found it to be pretty decent with quite a variety of fish and sealife near to where the katamaran's dock on the Right hand side of the Beach, Cala Mesquida is very scenic and good for Snorkeling its up near Cala Rajada which is also OK but very German. Lots of nice beaches and scenery in the vicinity of Santanyi and Mondrago parc naturel nice to visit if you have car hire, if you do I'd avoid Goldcar if you can they're right rip off merchants. They charged me 35 Euros for late pick up even though my paperwork clearly showed it to be included in the price I'd already paid and 105 Euros for a 50 litre tank of fuel. Past Midnight at palma Airport and the're ripping you off like that but you have no choice but pay. I'll be avoiding that company in future.

Room Tip: Request a high floor and an end room 1/11 for the best views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alan785
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived 3rd October for 7 days and apartments are very clean, well equiped and situated close to beach, shops, bars and restaurants.
Everything you need for self catering and staff are very helpful.

Room Tip: high floors have great views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wolverhampton
Reviewed September 28, 2012

have been to this hotel 4 years on the run. stayed here the first time abroard, enjoyed it so much have not looked for other hotel or location. staff extremely friendly and helful, nothing too much trouble. rooms quite spacious and clean, lovely views, exept if on first floor. although got stuck in lift between floors this year, staff soon on hand to assist, very apologetic, we had good laugh about it, would love to go back next year but thompson pulled out. very dissapointed about that, as the hotel and location were just what we wanted and enjoyed. dont like the big hotels just designed for families, we wouldnt use the facilities so why pay extra for them? as our age group is early sixties, just want a peaceful environment, and FLAT areas to go strolling-- cant do hills any more! just come back from staying two weeks, would love to go back but all german companies now.

Room Tip: rooms ending 01. good views of sea, but being on end, can get very breezy, no protection. first flo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glynis s
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently returned from a 6 night (should have been 7 - explained below) stay at the Paraiso. Stayed at the Paraiso on a self-catering basis and we were very impressed by quality of accomodation. Excellent bedroom with plenty of wardrobe space, good kitchen (with fridge, utensils, microwave, sink, two hobs, kettle, toaster), very large living room area (with BIG corner sofa and table for 4) and nice balcony looking over pool area.

Location is excellent. Less than 5 minutes walk to the beach, 5-10 minutes walk to plenty of bars and some good restaurants within a radius of 10-15 minute walk. We ate twice at Cafe del Mar (excellent kebabs cooked fresh on the outdoor BBQ), twice at BIA (great pork kebabs and steaks), once at El Passieg (good paella - restaurant on road to Cala Millor) and once at Bar Antic is S'Illot (decent meal, but was out from kitchen in less than 5 minutes!!!).

Now to the negative. On arrival at hotel we were told that there wasn't a room available for us on our first night. We were dispatched (we drove our hire car following a taxi) to Cala Millor to a sister hotel called Don Juan. As compensation, we were given an evening meal and breakfast at the Don Juan and 85 Euros bar credit at the Paraiso. The compensation was enough to cover the annoyance of this, but I can see that a problem like this would rile some people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have just returned from 10 nights at The Paraiso and feel a little guilty only giving it an average rating and would not like to put anyone off staying here, I just think you have to know all the facts first to make an informed decision.

Firstly, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the staff are all very friendly and accommodating, the location is superb and although the choice of food is plentiful and all well cooked, it does get a little 'samey' after 10 days and the combinations are sometimes strange.

The pool is small but there are plenty of sun loungers on several levels and a smaller shallower pool for children. Again it is spotlessly clean.

The rooms aren't small but they aren't exactly what I call spacious as maybe some others have done, I have stayed in larger 'family' rooms, however if there are only 2 of you then they would be more than ample as there is a separate bedroom and lounge area with a walk through kitchenette between the two, again, there is more than enough apparatus there to enable you to do some light meals should you want to, those who want an oven need to get out a little more and sample some of the restaurants, who on earth wants to cook whilst on holiday?

The only grip, myself and everyone else in the hotel had (who was staying at the same time as us anyway!) was the entertainment or lack of it, the girl who runs it is lovely, don't get me wrong but I feel she isn't really cut out for the job bless her, she probably does have limited resources but even so I feel there could be a little more effort put in! I have two children (Aimee, 4 and Ethan, 2, who everyone would know had they been there at the same time as us!) and on the first day she sat down and did some painting with them for about an hour which they loved, however after that there seemed to be nothing during the day at all, it doesn't take a lot to amuse young children so even if they painted every day they would have been happy. There was an entertainment programme advertised on the board every day which included things like Darts, Killer Pool etc. yet none of it ever materialised! The kids did enjoy the mini disco but again this was the same few songs every evening, a little variety wouldn't have gone amiss, if I hear Chi Chi Wa or Humzumzum again I think I'll scream, lol. There was one act which for a hotel was good, it was billed as an acrobatics display but was more martial arts/magic and they were entertaining, apart from that though we either had bingo or quizzes, in fact we had the same music quiz twice whist there, again there are plenty of quizzes on the internet and it wouldn't have hurt to shake things up a little! There was supposed to be a clown show one evening but it was cancelled 15 mins after it should have started and another night everything was cancelled as the lady running the entertainment was apparently in hospital although she made a miraculous recovery for the next morning? Again we weren't told, it was only as I asked about the mini disco (the highlight of my kids evening) that we were told the entertainment was cancelled.

The thing that made our holiday was the people we met and the staff at the hotel and if any of the following people are reading this then THANK YOU all so much, the couple from North Wales, the twins from Yorkshire, the couple from Yorkshire who recommended a special book to me, the couple from Edgware Road, the family from Nottingham and the family from Oxford.

I would also like to thank all the staff at the hotel for making an effort for my Daughters Birthday, they gave her a piggybank wrapped up beautifully and decorated the table at dinner.

So, in summary, if you are a couple in your late 50's plus and are looking for a spotlessly clean hotel, are happy to book on a room only or bed & breakfast basis and eat in the plethora of restaurants in the area, want somewhere close to the beach, with a clean pool, in a quiet location but near to local bus routes to Palma, S'Illot, Cala Millor, Cala Bono etc. and aren't fussed out evening entertainment then this hotel is 110% perfect, however if you have children who need amusing (for you to get a minutes rest) then this is NOT the hotel for you.

As I said before, I can't really find anything at fault, it just wasn't the best choice for us, next year we will be sticking to First Choice Hoilday Villages which have tonnes for children to do during the day, that said, we still had a fantastic time and met some lovely people so I don't regret it at all, everyone wants something different and this just wasn't our ideal but you live and learn!

3 Thank KirstyMarkAimeeEthan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having just returned from a 10nt holiday at this hotel with my mum I can say that it is truly worthy of all the good reviews. I was a bit sceptical before arrival but any doubts were quickly eradicated.

The room was really comfortable with good facilities for self catering including a microwave, toaster, kettle and hobs – it didn’t have an oven but I don’t go on holiday to cook and it would have been unbearable to have an oven on with the heat. The living space is very comfortable and the air conditioning works well (we were given 2 room keys on check in so kept one in the electricy slot to keep the air con on constantly) and is self controlled.

The hotel has entertainment most nights from 9:30 to 10:30 but doesn’t disturb you if you want a quiet night in your room. The hotel next door also has entertainment that you can hear but that starts and finishes earlier than the Paraiso.

The pool is quite small but perfectly adequate even with the odd person who didn’t read the welcome pack saying no inflatables and there are plenty of sunbeds available at all times of the day

There are plenty of supermarkets around and each of them has something different. The Hotel bar offers a good choice of snacks and drinks at reasonable prices.

Kenna’s bar is good for food but did lack atmosphere in the evenings if you’re just looking for somewhere to go for a drink. We found the Britannia Bar best for the evenings and they had some brilliant tribute acts esp the Rod Stewart and Jersey Boys nights.

All in all it was a brilliant holiday and I would go back in a heartbeat, I can’t recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea and pool views but the higher you go the better you get
3 Thank Lexx70