“Hotel which has great potential, but with some niggles”

Protur Vista Badia Aparthotel
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
England
“Hotel which has great potential, but with some niggles”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just arrived back from this hotel on 3rd october after staying for one week all inclusive.

I booked this hotel on the basis of the trip advisor reviews on here, and was impressed it had been given a travellers choice award ( although I'm not sure what this award is based on, perhaps the number of positive reviews? If this is the case bear in mind that many of these reviews may be given by German customers)

Did the hotel live up to my expectations based on the trip advisor reviews? I must say, no, not entirely which was a bit disappointing. This holiday also cost quite a bit of money, so I feel that I am completely within my rights to give an honest and fair review based on the price.

I stayed in an aparthotel with my husband and 13 month old baby, our first holiday with the little one.

We booked through Travel Republic ( no problems) and flew with Easy Jet. Just a quick word about flying back from Palma airport: Be careful to find out where you are going after check in. We were sent to the wrong security check point in a different departure gate downstairs. This was a very slow moving que. Only after 45 mins did we get to the front of the que to be told we were at the wrong place! This happened to another of English people in the same que and as a result by the time we went to the right place upstairs, we had to run to our gate and people were already boarding! 3 people missed the flight and I wonder if it was because they were also sent to the wrong place! So be careful. With Easy Jet there were also huge ques at check in because they were dealing with all destinations, so get to the airport in plenty of time.

We also hired a car via holiday autos, with Record Go. We felt a bit ripped off because even though we paid for the car and insurance online before we left (and thought that all we needed was a credit card and the confirmation slip as proof), turns out they won't just swipe your card or take the slip. They wanted you to type your credit card PIN number into the machine, which my husband didn't have as he rarely uses it and thought he had done everything online. So I had to pay AGAIN for the same insurance, and also we had to pay 90 euros for a full tank of petrol and bring it back empty. The fact is, you are unlikely to use a full tank of petrol. We used less than half. It's basically just a way for them to extract money from you which is infuriating.

In hindsight, we probably wouldn't hire a car again if staying in Sa Coma, because everything is geared towards walking and cycling. We walked and cycled to Cala Millor and it is a lovely stretch to stroll along. So perhaps if we were staying for 2 weeks we may hire a car, but its not worth it for 1 by the time you have paid for a full tank of petrol. Also we found that a lot of the nearby resorts such as Porto Cristo were nice, but not as nice as Cala Millor where you can walk to.

Other reviewers have talked about Sa Coma being like Blackpool, but I thought it was fine. Yes there as some tacky shops and bars, but these are also present in Cala Millor. It's a nice place to walk around. Everywhere there are rows of shops, activities, bars and restaurants, much of the same however! But it would be very easy to go self catering here. And if you get bored head to Cala Millor where there is a vast stretch of beach and more shops!

Anyway, back to the hotel.

What disappointed me and stayed with me as a poor first impression with this hotel, was the poor welcome upon arrival. I was expecting good things after reading trip advisor. The reception was attractive and clean. But when we walked to reception, the receptionist did not smile and could barely grunt at us! We had just come off an early morning flight, and driven an hour from Palma to get to this hotel. The least you would expect from a hotel with a travellers choice award is a decent welcome and a smile. We felt like we were a burden, not welcome customers! The woman was called Wendy and was English which in some ways makes it worse as you would expect her to be friendly to fellow English customers! We had to wait as our room was not ready. She also offered no information about the hotel, or the all inclusive facilities. I had to ask her to tell us more, at which point she said 'all the information you need is in the room!'

Poor customer service indeed. Wendy should have told us about the safe, activities, mealtimes, towels etc. We were told nothing and the information is very basic in the room. It does not tell you all you need to know.

For instance, it's only because of trip advisor reviews on here that I found out there are a choice of 4 restaurants as well as the main buffet restaurant. These are located in different nearby Protur hotels. You can do these once, and have to book in at the clubhouse. It took us a while to even find the club house! We phoned reception only to be told that the clubhouse is 'close to the hotel!' Well, thanks, that is very helpful.

I would recommend trying the different restaurants. The food is nice but not exceptional at the restaurants, and it makes a change from buffet food at the main hotel.

Also we only found out on the 4th day that we could hire bikes for free as part of the hotel. This is an excellent idea and a huge bonus. You need to eave a 20 euro deposit and they can go quick. We also had a baby seat on the bike, and there are plenty of safe cycle paths. It would have been nice to have been told about this.

Service generally at this hotel was fine, but not particularly friendly. People did their job, but not always with a friendly manner or a smile. It was hit or miss. I found this disappointing as it spoilt the mood. There was the odd exception, such as as a barman who whistled like a bird to the children! But most of the staff were serious and not overly friendly. To add to this was the fact that most staff there only spoke basic or broken English. It could be difficult for them to understand you.

This is predominately a German hotel. We did not think this would bother us until we actually experienced it. I'm not one to make stereotypical assumptions! But I have to say that some of what I have read about the Germans seems to be true!! So many of them are so serious! They just don't seem as fun loving as the Britsh.

We got our wrists slapped twice at mealtimes, because they leave subtle signs on the tables to mark them out as reserved!! We did not realise this and so sat down at the table, only to be told off! This included, turning a teacup over, removing a fork from the table etc!! Why not just leave your bag or take turns whilst another person sits at the table? There are limited high chairs, and on one occasion we got a table with a high chair only to see a ballon stuffed down the high chair. We asked the other tables and were told the table was free, moments later we got into trouble from a German woman who had reserved the table!! But the cheek of it was that there were lots of other empty tables for her to sit on and she didn't need one with a highchair. So watch out for subtle signs!!

On the plus side there were plenty of sunbeds!

Food at the buffet restaurant was hit and miss. Somedays it was great, other days it was poor with limited choice. One day the only main meal I could see at lunch time, was lasagne, and this was almost gone. There was still an hour to go, and I felt they were maybe cutting back on choice because it was no longer peak season. This is unfair on customers. Most of the food itself is nice however, aside from the fish which is over cooked. Also the bread buns in my opinion are rock hard. For some reason you couldn't get the coffee or tea machine to work at lunchtime!

Breakfast is quite good, and you can get cooked to order omelettes. However you must que for these, and there is only one person serving who also has to make pancakes and fry eggs so this takes ages.

My final gripe is with the all inclusive drinks. All inclusive drinks are restricted to a very limited menu. You can't even get bottled water! I found this disgraceful. Coffee is very poor and tasted awful. If you want a nicer coffee you have to pay for it! I went to order a cocktail, and found the nice ones I normally order at all inclusive hotels like piña coladas are off the all inclusive menu! There are a choice of 4 cocktails and all of them were undrinkable. I would go as far as to say that one tasted like rat poison (I would imagine!). You can't get baileys on the menu either. The nice ice creams are also saved for paying customers.

This is very disappointing as effectively, you are not really going all inclusive, yet still pay a lot of money. Sort it out vista Badia!

Finally the snacks in between meal times are appalling. This is basically left over bits from meal times. A few dried up sandwiches (unbuttered cheese and ham), dried up meats and cheese, and rock hard bread buns. The only saving grace is the occasional bit of chocolate cake which you can also get in the buffet.

On one night we had to ask for these because staff had not bothered to put the snacks out. When the food finally came out, there was a rush for it so obviously people were hungry. You should not have to ask for all inclusive snacks to be put out.

Anyway, gripes over. On the plus side, this hotel is spotlessly clean. Rooms are cleaned 5 times a week and the cleaners always do a thorough job. It is also child friendly and the apartment rooms are good. The showers are powerful and there was a bath too which was good for the baby.

The pools are nice with plenty of sunbeds. The weather was not great and we had some rain. But we found out by accident that there is also a small indoor pool. Reception told us it was closed for the winter but we went along and people were using it.

And there is a kids club ( which we didn't use) and obviously a choice of activities which you may enjoy.

Entertainment is not great but they do try hard.

The hotel is also in a brilliant area and location.

In all fairness this hotel deserves 3.5 stars, but because of the gripes listed above I can't give it 4. If service and all inclusive options were improved then this hotel would be fabulous. I hope the manager takes note and makes improvements.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, but I might look into other hotels in the nearby area first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Luminesence

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in the vista badia from the 20th-27th sept, on first arrival hotel looked clean modern and friendly reception who quickly got us to our rooms. We was on floor one in room 140 we was impressed the room was very clean had a cooker, fridge etc and balcony. Staff had also set the travel cot up ready for use as requested when we booked the hotel. Good choice of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner to cater for every one although dining room did get very busy and had to wait some mornings for a table. Only down points of food was it wasn't overly hot and lunch by pool side wasnt covered and flies would Hover. As with all all inclusive food can get samey day after day but with our package you get four passes to book at four other restaurants within the holiday village. We went to country grill and la reserva despite reading reviews we booked these in the afternoon and had no problem although the Italian and Spanish ones were booked up quickly. Pools at vista were clean and provided two baby pools and an indoor pool. We visited the la reserva water park which was extra but good value for money as included all drinks and food all in all a nice water park. We also visited regularly the paradis park which was free and provided a childrens pool with slide and various park areas etc. We done an excursion to the safari park a free bus there and Back was provided and bus stop outside hotel. Safari was good although expensive we watched the lion show although lions didn't seem to want to be on show. Beach only a 5-10 minute walk will advise very busy so didn't stay long we did buy fresh fruit on the beach which was lovely. We went to the horse ranch but we felt horses were poorly looked after. Lots of shops only walking distance from hotel although each shop sold pretty much the same buckets spaces etc. Entertainment at hotel awful felt it was only catered for Germans who were very rude may I add! Good choice of drinks available all day, staff helpful and very friendly and happy to help. Cleaners always around the hotel cleaning and daily room cleaning carried out daily apart from there days off. Hotel very clean. Read reviews about no sun loungers but we didn't once have a problem and we didn't go to the pool until around 10am every day. Free wifi available in reception and a pay phone available. Bad points our room faced onto another hotel and there entertainment was so loud and went on until very late and as we had a baby this disturbed his sleep but understand this was out of vistas hands. All in all very good value for money and an enjoyable stay with things to do within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Torres17
England
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Vista Badia Sa Coma Majorca

The Vista Badia hotel is a four star complex owned by the Protur group, and set in the seaside resort of Sa Coma in Majorca. We booked our holiday through Thomson and were all inclusive, in a one bedroomed (four bed) apartment. The hotel also gives you the choice of going self catering, and half board.

From the outside the hotel doesn't particularly inspire or feel you with glee, but it doesn't fill you with dread either. It basically left me emotionless, and I just hoped the inside inspired me more.
The hotel has two entrances, one where the bus dropped us off at the front of the building, and the other at the rear through a gated area which is a short cut to the shops and beach.

Leaving the transfer bus and going into the hotel you are faced with rotating doors, or a side door, which would accommodate a wheelchair if both of them are open, else the only option is the spinning doors.

The entrance lobby is decorated in black and white, and immediately gives you the impression is clean. The reception staff speak fluent English – so no worries there. When we got to our room (250) we were once again pleasantly surprised. Although the rooms are on the small size, they catered for our needs as four adults with a cot added. Our apartment had a two ring cooker, and fridge on the food side (not that we used it much except for drinks and milk). The balcony has a side sea view, and front pool view of the neighbouring hotel. The room was almost spotlessly clean (and I am being picky when I say almost). The maids clean daily with the exception of Tuesday and Sundays. We had decent weather (with the exception of our last day and half) and the air conditioning was available, which was a blessing in the very warm conditions outside (the air con will not work if the windows are open though).

As 'all inclusive' there is food available more or less all day long, either at the poolside cafe or indoors restaurant or bar. The food is adequate, particularly as the hotel was extremely busy and catering for vast amounts must be a nightmare. Things like lamb shoulder in mint sauce, chicken nuggets, stir fry, were on the menu along with more typical 'Majorcan' food such as pastries with what seemed like spinach in... Breakfast can be anything from a cooked British (slightly different bacon) to cheese and yoghurt and continental style breakfasts. There is always plenty of fruit available.

This aparthotel is a top place to stay in my opinion, however if I had to pick problems there are one or two which are glaringly obviously to the disabled traveller. I didn't stay in a disabled room, although I am sure they are available. However the main problems for my moans are the 'slope' which leads to the lifts to the rooms. It is way too steep, and with the curve in the ramp too it is an absolute nightmare to get up. After a few somewhat embarrassing tries to defeat it, I gave up and walked up (a challenge in itself too): There are four steps beside the ramp which have no real hand rail, but do have a barrier railing.

My next gripe is the size of the lifts, they will accommodate about six normal sized people, or one wheelchair and one companion – at a push! My wife had to struggle in with the wheelchair. Overall though the hotel is pretty accessible, just a few hiccups they could easily sort out.

My other grips is the food! While I appreciate they cater for many hundreds of people, the food was often not as hot as it should be. And food was left uncovered in the poolside area, allowing flies to spread their germs over the fruit, bread, cheese etc. Again something that could be easily resolved. Inside the restaurant the food was still uncovered but there was only the occasional fly. They had display cooking, where you could pick something for the chef to cook. We didn't do this, because the queues were too lengthy for it. All that aside the catering is adequate, and as we only stayed for a week I am unable to say whether the menu changes weekly or fortnightly etc.

Most staff were friendly, and spoke in English, although one or two needed a few lessons on customer relations.

Entertainment was a tad on the rubbish side, although in fairness to the hotel entertainment staff they do their best on a low budget. Another problem we found was that they sometimes forgot to translate into English and only accommodated the German guests most. And there were far more German guests than English, so I guess it is slightly understandable. But due to the various languages needing translating what should take ½ to ¾ of an hour on a quiz then takes double the time. A point worth bearing in mind if you rely on entertainment for any purpose.

So my general opinion of the hotel is excellent, with a few minor problems which could be sorted out to make it even better than it is.

As for the area of Sa Coma, it is a lovely seaside resort with enough shops to keep it 'touristy' without taking away from it's charm. A short walk up the coast and you'll come across a lovely place called 'S'illot', I would recommend a visit to this quaint little seaside village. There isn't many shops that we see, but it was such a quaint lovely place we fell in love with it. Back at Sa Coma and we took another 'must do' trip on the land train to the Safari zoo park. The first part of the trip was lovely, watching the animals in similar habitat to their normal, seeing the monkeys climbing on the zoo bus. It was lovely, particularly with the blue skies. But I became slightly concerned when we got off the bus and decided to go to 'show'. The show was in fact a tiger, a lioness, and two leopards all doing unnatural things in limited space. In addition none of the animals 'seemed happy' and one had lump under their chest and they all looked 'poorly' in my opinion (but I am no vet). We also took a horse and carriage to Sa Coma castle which was pretty nice too, but quite expensive at €60.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday in a great location staying at a fabulous hotel. I would recommend the hotel, the area, and most other things too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just back from Sa Coma in Majorca staying at the Protur Aparthotel Vista Badia for 11 days went self-catering and were glad we did because Sa Coma has a wealth of bars and restaurants; we went to a different restaurant for 10 nights and returning again to restaurant El Sol for their fantastic seafood and paella, also try the restaurant Atlantic next door

For a good steak try the 2 restaurants with outside BBQs Café de la Mar facing the Eroski supermarket and BIA across from the tourist information at the back of the hotel, which is also the short cut to the supermarket 5 minutes’ walk and very cheap, there are also 5 Spar shops in the resort but more expensive and another smaller supermarket near the beach where you can buy bags of ice

Going self-catering could not be easier the large apartments at Vista Badia are well laid out with a fridge with freezer 2 ring cooker and microwave but bring your own corkscrew and condiments. There are separate efficient air con for the lounge and bedroom there are no instructions but the top switch is volume and the bottom switch is temperature, they both switch off if you open the door or window
We did check out the hotel entertainment but wasn’t too impressed more for the German visitors
Night life in Sa Coma is varied from a quiet drink in the many bars to more lively nightly entertainment one of the best is the Kings Head next to the hotel which has live groups most nights so get in early

On Wednesday there is an open street market starting at 7pm it gets busy but interesting

We had a great time and I would recommend Sa Coma and all the Club Protur 4 hotel complex it for families to older couples and for younger families the Protur safari park Aparthotel

I found trip advisor a great site for information on restaurants and hotels

Room Tip: rooms away from the pool have the most sun
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marfelllabs
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

When we first arrived we really thought we had made a terrible mistake, but after a while the hotel grew on us. This was our first package holiday with our baby and we needed to revise our expectations of what a holiday meant.
The cons first:
Our only real grumble was the evening entertainment. The kids minidisco was fair enough it was the acts after that. One night we had to complain as it was just so loud, the manger said he would lower the volume and in the end my wife went to sleep with ear plugs. The next day we had the opportunity to swap from room 1045 on the inside ground floor, to room 10 on the other side of the hotel, this was also on ground floor and this backed onto some shops which would be closed everynight. In the end we didn't move as the balcony was smaller and off the ground and we didn't want our toddler (who loves climbing) to have an accident.
The pros:
The room was great, the kitchenette really well equiped, two single beds pushed together gave us loads of space for the inevitable toddler invasions. The bathroom was good and the shower nice and powerful.
The staff in the bars and restaurants were lovely and really seemed to like kids. We were all inclusive and the food in the main restaurant was lovely with lots of variety, for us and our toddler. It got a bit samey toward the end of the week, but I suppose that's the downside of all inclusive. The food at the pool bar looked fine, but we only had a couple of things from it, it was mainly cheap and cheerful stuff like burgers and sausages and salad.
Suggested improvements:
Smoke wasn't intrusive but I think no smoking around kids play areas and pools should be mandatory.
Waiter service at the pool bar to be extended to service around the swimming pool (this is supposed to be 4* after all).

Room Tip: The hotel is c shaped with the stage in the middle, for those who want a quieter time get an even nu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dr_Waugh
Newbury, Berks
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First impressions don't alway count. We (two adults and two girls aged 14 and 6) arrived at the Protur Vista Badia late morning after a very early start and thought the place a little tatty around the edges, and the lunchtime food offering in the restaurant poor. It turned out that that had more to do with our travel weariness than any fault of the hotel and we quickly revised our opinion as the hours and days wore (and after we'd had a good sleep)
As part of the all around holiday experience this is up there with the best hotels we've stayed in. Ok, I stilll think the food in the dining hall at lunchtime was pretty basic but it became evident that not that many people used it at that point of the day. A good many of the guests choose to eat at the poolside bar where freshly cooked hot food was laid out every lunchtime. Both breakfast and evening meal in the restaurant were top-notch and it was difficult some nights to know what not to eat if you didn't want to go home as big as house. The Vista Badia is part of the Protur hotel chain with a number of protur hotels sharing amenitities in the immediate vicinity. A kind of large holiday village in effect. This gave us free access to four themed restaurants including an Italian (very good indeed), a Country Grill (an excellent BBQ) and a Spanish Tapas restaurant, which we weren't quite so struck on. There's also and Argentinian BBQ which we didn't get around to trying. Be warned, you have to get up early and join the queue at the club house serving the different hotels to book a table for the same evening at one of these popular restaurants but it is worth it.
Sa Coma sits on the east coast of Majorca is the most southerly end of three resorts; Cala Bona, Cala Millor and Sa Coma itself. It's very popular with German tourists and Cala Millor (we never went to Cala Bona) is geared very much with the Germans in mind. It personally doesn't bother us and we're as happy people-watching guests from Birmingham and we are from Berlin. Sa Coma is a small resort itself with a more English feel about it and has a lovely beach. From the back of the hotel you can be in the resort centre in 2 minutes, and at the beach in 5. Even with my bad knees!
It's worth paying for the all-inclusive at the hotel. The drinks included are good including Estrelle lager. The staff are generally very friendly with perhaps one or two exceptions but the way some people - of all nationalities - bark there orders out without a please or a thank you, perhaps some of the staff are entitled to look a little less than enthusiastic sometimes.
The entertainment was a bit hit and miss but the animation team can't be faulted for the effort they put in. There was a fabulous Beatles tribute duo and a couple of other professional entertainers that were well worth keeping the kids up for.
We don't use kids clubs so I can't comment there but the children were well catered for and felt safe. One thing, the pool is very deep in places and my 6-year old liked throwing herself in it at every opportunity. I'm in there with her personally but the life guard on duty didn't seem to be overly attentive.
As it's the second time we've been in Sa Coma and we've done that area to death we probably won't go back to the Vista Badia. But I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wakefield
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time at the Vista Badia, the hotel is modern and fresh looking and was spotless clean!

Food:
We stayed all inclusive and was more than happy with what was on offer, there was a reasonable amount of choice but we did find majority of the food was of a high standard. There was a cooking station that prepared gorgeous fresh stir frys, fresh grilled meats and fish too!
The pool bar did lunch such as burgers chips pasta pizza etc.
Al la carte restaurants were good value only tried the country grill which was Fab (if you like meat, and lots of it!) and italian but didn't think much of it!

The club house:
Be at the club house for no later than 815am to get your a la cartes (it opens at 9am!)

Apartments were large and well equipped, was impressed.

Also very impressed with the La Reserva "water park" not really a water park but beautiful place so chilled and spacious!

Beach is fab and a 5 min walk away - not far at all!!

• Stayed September 2012