“Average hotel for older people”

Hotel Roc Boccaccio
Ranked #39 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel has 3 stars rating and to be honest you get all the servise you can expect from 3 stars hotel. I liked food, especially at the dinner time, you can get fish, meat, chicken and sometimes even tradicional Spanish food (like Paella). And I liked the location of the hotel, very close to the sea, and lake. BUT,there is a list of disadvantages of this hotel: 1. there are so many old people, maybe 90% of all hotel population. I have nothing against elder people, just than you having a vacation you want to feel like you are in acctual hotel, but sometimes it feels like you are in sanatorium or some other place for elder people. 2. Walls are so thin that you can here absolutely everything what your neighbors do, and even when they are locking the lock of the door you actually think that they are locking the lock of your door. 3. Housekeeper doesn't clean every day and then she does that, she left sand on the floor, didn't refill shampoo bottle and didn't make our bad.
Despite all of that don;t think that it is horible hotel. No it isn't, just I saw better looking 3star hotel with better service, but according to the price it is not so bad, but if I will ever come back to Alcudia, I will search for another hotel:) good luck

Room Tip: Try to get room with the view to the lake and on the top floor:)
2  Thank Erlas

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights half board and as mentioned by the previous couples review we were told that the drinks for the evening meals were not included and that we would have to pay a supplement €26 if we wanted this which we did, in return we were given a card which entitled us to free drinks only in the restaurant. Most of the guests were German with the exception of a Spanish, Chinese and English couple and on the whole most were all inclusive guests as designated by the various bands they wore about their wrists.

We immediately felt uncomfortable in the evening with guests of the German variety sniffing and giving us dirty looks, pointing at the fact that they had all inclusive bracelets on and we didn't, every time we got up and poured ourselves a beer or a glass of sangria, the waiters were questioned over this by the quests, and we were asked to show our card a few times, very rude we thought. The all inclusive club spreads to the bar area, where you are made to feel as welcome as bad cold if you are not in the club, with waiters and guests alike sniffing and giving you dirty looks, not to mention poor service.

Next I move onto the food... hmm where to start, we ate ate out at the Chinese next door for a few nights and then at a Spanish bar over the road on the corner. In the Hotel it was Pizza and chips with pasta and rabbit stews, where's the vegetables the fresh Mediterranean salads, occasionally they would pull out something good but not very often, very bland everyday. You could eat here and be full everyday, but you'd be bored to death and have no taste buds left by the end of the holiday.

The rooms are small and pokey but cleaned everyday, the beds are really hard the Flintstones would be in paradise here :-) the closet space is meager, the bathroom small (bath tub tiny) and flaky. Again you have to pay extra for the safe in the room €30 of which €5 is a deposit returned at the end of your stay. The fridge in the room barely works. if you go in this month don't expect to find any air conditioning as its switched off bearing in mind that it was 30+c when we were there and we had to have the balcony doors open at night, which by the way is next to a canal, so we were eaten alive by mosquitoes. The view from our balcony hmm lovely a big tree across the whole span of our view.

The entertainment in the Hotel? What entertainment some karaoke, don't waste your time looking at the entertainment board it, do as we did and go and visit the other Hotels in the area as they had regular scheduled entertainment on. I recommend the Sol Alcudia , JS Sol Alcudia just walk, buy a drink and enjoy.

Overview:-
Best feature of this Hotel is that it is close to the beach, I wouldn't recommend it to family or friends, nor would I advise taking children there unless German is the second language.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms nearest the pool or the rear as you will be bitten to death by mosquitoes
2  Thank JinXeD02
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week at this hotel and would never in a million years recomend it to anybody.

It is dated and very much in need of repair and refurbishment, with the carpets on all the landings being stained and lifting at the edges, and the plug hole in the bath (I say bath but really it was a large baisin as it wasn't even 4 feet long so if you wanted a soak you would have to wedge your knees under your chin !!) rusted and grimy, neither the fridge or the air-conditioning worked, and the matresses and pillows were rock hard, also the wardrobe was tiny and although we managed to squash in our clothes for the week there is definately not enough storage space for outfits for a fortnights stay .

We had asked for a high floor and a pool view, and got a third floor room with a tree right outside -- stand at the corner of the balcony on tip-toes and push a few branches out of the way and we could JUST see the corner of the pool.

We were half-board and had been told when we checked in that drinks weren't included with our evening meal, but that we could pay one euro fifty each at reception before we entered the restaurant to get drinks with our meal -- fair enough -- but the disgusted look on the restaurant managers face told us in no uncertain terms that this wasn't agreeable to him and he had an animated discussion with 2 of his staff before all three just walked away and left us standing like lemons not knowing if we had an allocated table or could just sit where we wanted -- as it turned out it really didnt make any difference as the choice that night was pizza and chips (both dried out and rock hard), fish that wasnt cooked through, a dish that said beef but was so pale it looked more like a very anaemic pork, rabbit stew or dried out pasta twirls with no type of sauce to go with them -- needless to say we didnt go back after that and ate out every day.

On our second night there was a spectacular thunder and lightening storm, accompanied by torrential rain, ten minutes in and the alcove above our balcony window started leaking, as it was about 1.30 in the morning I put a couple of bath towels down hoping that it would pass over quickly but it didnt and the leaking got worse, I phoned reception and asked to be moved to another room and got the 'no possible', 'no speaka da English' response -- after a couple of minutes of me raising my voice the night receptionist came to the room to look and offered us a bucket for the leak -- it took another 10 minutes of him speaking Spanish and me doing sign language for him to realise I wasnt going to accept that and he went and got a key for an empty room across the coridoor -- a good job too because when we went back the next morning to retrieve our things the water had spread right from the balcony window, under both of the beds and was seeping into one of the bedside cabinets.

We have visited in Alcudia many times over the years, and have always gone for the 'cheap and cheerful' option, and on most other occasions have been fully satisfied with wherever we have stayed, however although this hotel was cheap(ish) it was far from cheerful, and has been re-named by us as 'Fawlty Towers' .!!!

1  Thank beached_whale_2007
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in the first week of October. As all the other reviews have already said the location is excellent, the beach bar is 5 minutes walk away with all inclusive drinks but no food available here when we stayed (only a few biscuits/buns later in the afternoon). You had to walk back to the hotel to eat at lunchtime (we had to take shifts or lose our sunbeds. Their beach loungers and chairs are mostly in the shade so you will need to rent the council sun 'hamocques' at 4.50Euros per day. The hotel pool is very small and mostly in the shade due to foliage and the solarium is up several steps up and quite a way from the pool and bar area so the beach was best.

Breakfast was the usual fare: bacon, fried and scrambled eggs, cereals, fruit, pastries. Occasionally a spicey sausage or frankfurter plus the usual bread, cheese, ham etc.
Lunch could be hamburger, veal, chicken drumsticks, formed turkey, hake, bread, cheese, hame etc,
Dinner varied and could be really good depending on your taste. You might have veal in port sauce, turkey, rabbit, potatoes jacket/boiled/chips, chicken escalopes (tasted nothing like chicken), canneloni, pasta, paella, pizza, some kind of fish. One night were presented with a choice of rabbit, dog fish, mussels, prawns in shell and escargot ! Not being mad on fish when eating abroad we had to revert to the evening constant of pizza and chips. I know the hotel is not really geared up for British tastes as the majority of guests appeared to be german, norwegian, dutch or spanish but one night I saw someone not speaking in english asking the chef what each dish was then throwing his plate shouting he was not eating this **** before storming out.
To be honest food does vary with 3 star hotels and you won't starve just don't expect beef stew and dumplings every night or whatever you usually eat and be prepared to eat pizza and chips if all else fails.
The rooms. Yes they are small but you only sleep in them right ? Well after 3 sleepless nights I complained that the room was too hot. I literally was wet through during the night with sweat and as we were on the first floor was worried that someone could break in if I left the balcony door open. When I asked why the air con was not working I was told it gets switched off in October at the managers discretion as he thought it was not warm enough.It was still in the low 20s and too hot for me plus I booked this hotel as it said it had air con or I would have gone elsewhere. The managers decision was final - no air con. I could move rooms though which we did out of desparation and got put on the 4th floor at the back on the corner overlooking the pool and lake. The room was extra big with a walk in wet room, settee, large flat screen TV , two balconies however still no air con and still too hot ! So glad to get home last night for a full nights sleep.
Alcudia is great and we have been 3 times now. If they could not be so tight with the air con and perhaps include some non fish type meats that go more with british pallettes with every meal then I would have no problem coming back but as it stands we cannot recommend this hotel and feel we have been deceived as it was advertised as having air con but no mention that it would not be switched on.

Room Tip: Avoid if you cannot sleep in very warm rooms. 4th floor pool side toward lake have been modernised...
2  Thank Goobs2010
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have just returned from a long weekend here. We booked it through a low cost web site and were a bit apprehensive. Our first impressions were excellent, the guy on reception (Joan) whisked us into the restaurant before he even checked in to make sure we got lunch before it closed! The room we had was quite small, but ample for two adults. The bath had a bit of flaking in it but apart from that you couldn't fault it. We were overlooking the pool which meant you could here the disco till midnight, not great if you have kids with you, I would ask for a room at the back overlooking the lake. The lake views from the restaurant are beautiful, the food was lovely, I'd say above average for a three star hotel. A lot of people have mentioned the lack of English people, I didn't find this an issue, after all you aren't in England. The staff could understand English no problem, I don't understand why people say 'the staff didn't speak English'. The staff are Spanish, in Spain. Maybe us English people should learn a little more Spanish!! The help yourself beer, wine, sangria, water and soft drinks were great, less queuing. The beach bar is a real bonus. You will queue for lunch but not for long. I have been to Alcudia a few times and this is by far the best hotel I have stayed at. Location is perfect, near the beach (about 5 mins) bars and restaurants literally outside the door. I would recommend this hotel and definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank bearmagoo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Were just back from a 10 day holiday at this hotel.
We found the food to be of great choice & good quality complemented by the friendly hotel staff(Especially Paco)
The room we had was a little compact but cleaned daily and met our needs.
The air conditioning enters the room via a slatted vent in the roof,at first we thought this was not upto standard but found that you could angle the slatts to face your bed which made a massive difference at night (the slatts were facing straight down when we entered the room.
With this hotel you also get access to the beach bar again its under your all inclusive package,great value!!!
This hotel is right on the main street which is littered with bars & shops.
The pool is a bit on the small side for the size of the hotel but you find most people make the 2 minute trip to the beach .(The best beach ive ever seen ,im sure this is where they shot the bounty advert many years ago.
We have now been to alcudia 4 times and will definatley be back at this hotel next year.
For sun worshippers the hotel has a roof top terrace which overlooks the lake,this tends to be quite quiet & has plenty of sunbeds & tables available.
If you like steak you should visit lunas grill which is only 2 minutes walk from the hotel,i had a 32oz t bone for only 20 euros,it was amazing.
At night the hotel has entertainment laid on every night which again was perfect for all ages

Room Tip: we stayed in room 448 which overlooked the roof terrace,lake & pool at the boccaccio appartments
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank SCOTCH195
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel is used by a wide variety of nationalities which suited us do to the ground. We met lots of Germans, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Swiss and many more. On the whole everyone was really friendly and good humoured and up for a good time. All nationalities took part in the water polo, beach volleyball and darts and the entertainment for the small children was very inclusive. I'm sure there are weeks when there are less british there than other weeks but I personally dont see this as a problem.

The food was of good quality, better than expected if not a little repetative. Drinks were in abundance, you was able to self serve soft drinks, juice and lager from the main bar and also red, white and rose wine along with sangria in the dining room and at the beach bar. If you require a long drink, ie rum and coke or gin and tonic you needed to ask at the bar, but due to so many options being self serve you very rarely had to wait long.

Location - it takes only a few minutes to get to the beach and the beach bar, with chairs, tables and sunbeds is only just a bit along the beach to the right. Beach its self is beautiful, clean and wide. The sea is very shallow for quite a distance out making it perfect for families with small children and those wanting to play with bats and balls etc.

Desite its address, it is still quite a walk (30 mins) to the Port are of Alcudia however it is very close to the main road where you can get a bus or taxi very easily. Taxi is about 6 Euro.

Old Alcudia is also quite a way, approx 30 - 40 mins. which can be quite hard work in one go if it is as hot as it was whilst we was there (end July - early Aug). Again you can get regular buses or a taxi. The market is on twice a week which is really good if your self catering and fancy cooking some lovely fresh food. But you see the best of the town on none market days as it is less busy but can still be bustling in the summer months. - Lovely tapas available.

Room Tip: Some of the Pool side rooms have very limited view due to a large tree in front. It might be worth...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank katej497
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Hotel JS Sol de Alcudia
#1 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
Viva Sunrise
Viva Sunrise
#6 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Hotel Roc Boccaccio? Share your experiences!