“A fantastic holiday”
Review of Zafiro Tropic

Zafiro Tropic
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just came back from Viva Tropic hotel and i must say what a fantastic hotel it is, we stayed in the Royal Terrace which was lovely. Our kids loved it, plenty of room for them to run around and it also had a jacuzzi which they loved. Food there was really nice and was decently priced. The staff were very friendly and made you feel very welcome. Hotel had all amenities needed, shop was a bit over priced but we just went down to the local spar if we needed anything which was only 2mins down the road and much better priced. Entertainment was really good, the kids loved the disco. The splash pool was fantastic our 5 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter loved it, the pirate ship they thought was great. The only thing that I would say would improve this hotel would to have the pool heated as it is extremely cold other than that a really great hotel and a great holiday.

Room Tip: If you can get it, the Royal Terrace suites
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank 2,414

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just back fromViva Tropic. Very family friendly hotel but also OK for couples. My husband and I went S/C and found lots of lovely places to eat nearby, especially loved the restaurants on the beach.
Hotel is very well looked after, rooms have everything you need, we upgraded to a garden room for 6 euros a night extra. We overlooked a park but best bit was our balcony had the sun from just after midday until sunset whereas street views only had early morning sun.
The matresses were very hard but we asked at reception and we then had matress toppers which made them much more comfortable.
Air con was a bit ineffective but in October it didnt really matter.
Lots of things for children to do there.
Adult pool was lovely, yes it is next to childrens pool but that didnt really matter as pool was lovely and quiet....that could be due to the fact it was so cold it was like stepping into an ice bath!!!
Overall a very good holiday and would definately go again, good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tina64_12
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Viva Tropic Hotel is in a very good location within a short walk of ample bars and restaurants (5-10 minutes walk from the main hub). It takes around 5 minutes to walk to the clean and well maintained beach.

Our room, on the fourth floor, consisted a view across the road and the surrounding hotels. You are offered an upgrade to a garden view for six euros, however we were personally happy with our balcony and we felt it provided more privacy than overlooking the garden. The rooms (except the top priced rooms) all have twin beds pushed together. There is a telephone, satellite television, air conditioning (which we felt did not work very well), a safety deposit box (at an additional charge) and good self-catering facilities (tea/coffee making facilities, microwave, two hob rings). The bathroom is bright, clean and modern with linen and towels being changed regularly.

We only ate lunch once in the pool bar, and in this case I really do feel that you get what you pay for. The food was cheap, however that was exactly how it tasted and I feel that we got much better food elsewhere in the surrounding restaurants. There are lots of restaurants and bars in Puerto Alcudia, in particular Bistro Mar. All the restaurants are very similar priced and we would suggest the area surrounding Bistro Mar as they tended to provide better food and service.

We did not really use the outdoor pools as they were generally freezing (probably owing to the fact that the weather was not overly fantastic while we were there) and the beach was just as nice. There is an over 18s only pool, but this is surrounded by a children’s play area, a sports area and a shooting range. There appeared ample sun loungers and parasols, a beach volleyball net in the garden and a very basic gym (a couple of running machines, cross trainers, a small selection of dumbbells and a very confusing and aging multi gym). There is a very cold indoor swimming pool, a sauna/steam room (sauna did not appear to work) and spa. However, don’t expect that you will get peace and quiet in the spa, steam room or pool as screaming children are allowed to enter freely despite a sign asking for silence (when I discussed this with a member of the reception team I was simply advised that it was a family hotel). There is bike hire available, however when we attempted to obtain bikes they were not available.

The hotel lobby is smart and stylish with a good lift service, and a 24-hour reception. The staff are in general friendly and are able to provide advice and maps of the local area. There is an onsite supermarket, however we would suggest going elsewhere as it appeared over priced in relation to the other local shops. Wifi is available but only in reception and is very slow.

The airport is approximately an hour from Palma and you can walk to Alcudia old town in about 20 minutes or take a taxi for approximately five euros.

Overall, a fairly decent hotel (I would more of a three than four star) and very suited to families. I would suggest if you are a couple that you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Savvy_uk
Reviewed October 3, 2012

When we arrived,we were very impressed with the Viva Tropic. The check-in staff were very friendly and helpful, and our room was very well appointed with all we could need for a weeks SC. However the bathroom door was a sliding door affair and just slid across the doorway leaving a 10cm gap all around the door. Not very private and definitively not 4 star!
The entertainment seemed to be enjoyed by everyone.
I did not eat here but my wife did one night and she enjoyed her meal. Food was very nice and staff very attentive
What made me pick this hotel was the adult only pool. This looked like an oasis of bliss in the pictures. When we got there, although is was very nice, it was right next to the children's splash pool.Not very peaceful and again not 4 star.
We needed to use the internet while we were there and there was only pay-per use computers in the lobby(4 star?). Wi-Fi was painfully slow and when I asked about printing some documents I was told I had to convert them to pdf, e-mail them to the hotel and they would print them out...not acceptable in my view in 2012,again this is not 4 star.
So would we stay here again? I'm afraid not, which is a shame,because it is a nice hotel but was let down by a few simple things.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Razorbite
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Lovely spot in Port d'Alcudia. Minutes from the beach and the Port. Plus easy walk to Old Town. The hotel was lovely. 3 nice outdoor pools plus one indoor, Spa, lovely grounds and walkways. We were travelling with a baby and the hotel was very family friendly. Pretty much everyone had kids, although it would have been fine for couples too as there is an adults only pool and plenty of ways to get away from the kids if you want to!

We had a Studio apartment. Bear in mind websites don't offer you the Studio if you include an infant in your booking, however the hotel allows it so just book 2 adults and email the hotel separately informing them you are bringing an infant. We took our own equipment but they do also have travel cots for hire and buggies/highchairs for extra cost.

Room was nice. All are twin beds pushed together. We were a bit worried as our baby often joins us in bed but they were sturdy and no risk of them coming apart in the middle. Not the most comfy beds I've ever slept in but fine. Lovely terrace to sit out on in the mornings and evenings.

Kitchenette area small but handy for a baby. We used the micro, fridge plus kettle and toaster in the morning. Plus there are wine glasses, bottle openers etc. Minor points - kettle stopped working and some electric points didn't work. However staff all friendly and helpful if there's a problem.

Wouldn't recommend all inclusive personally as lovely restaurants around. Also dinner finishes at 8.30!! Way too early! We only managed to eat there once, food was ok but not amazing. Buffet gets taken away by 8.30 so you have to be down by 8. No food available after this. Some nice Spanish places around. Try Bodega des Port - amazing Spanish and Majorcan food.

Also hire a car - cheaper than a taxi return to airport.

Room Tip: We had roadside which was fine. Had good sun in the morning. The pool view ground floor seemed overl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank NoushV
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We spent a week in the Viva Tropic and had a ball. Its a great family hotel with great entertainment for the kids. My expectations of the evening entertainment wasn't that high to be honest and we were very pleasantly surprised. Great to watch the kids minidisco first and see all the very happy dancing faces, and then the tribute shows were brilliant, like a professional production. The staff were all lovely, we had a priviledge apartment, it was basic but very clean, perfect as we spent most of the day on the beach or at the pool. the pool was lovely and the kids pool and play area was great. we ate one night in the hotel and food was very basic, but there are lovely restaurants to eat in the area. I would definately recommend this hotel to families, if your looking for quieter adult onlyhotel then they're sister hotel viva golf is a special treat (we stayed there before). Our first family holiday and it was perfect, we'd a very happy little girl thanks to Bufo and all his friends!

Room Tip: Priviledge apartments are on the ground floor and pool can be accessed from the garden, handy if you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lilyIreland
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Well this is out last night an I can honestly say I can't wait to get home, on arrival we was asked if we wanted to upgrade to a garden view for 6 euros extra a day we agreed as we didn't want a road view!! We was then told we had to wait half an hour for our room, when we finally got our room it was basic an our view was a little bit of green grass what we was actually viewing was a felt floor! I couldn't be bothered to go an argue about it as we would probably have to wait again! The room was clean but the bathroom wasn't, there was hair under the sink and also on the toilet as well as dust.
It's Saturday night an the entertainment is boring, a man an woman singing!
The chill out pool would be lovely I it wasn't right next to the children's pool, been say there d'or a while today an devised to go to the beach as all I could hear was screaming crying children, I understand it's a family resort but don't understand why they would put a chill out pool for over 18's right next to the kids pool!??
Food was ok nothing to exciting!
Would I return? Never! I'm
Sorry but I expected more
From a four star, I wouldn't bother booking this hotel, this is my 3rd visit to majorca this year an the previous times we stayed in a 3 star an they were lovely I was never ready to go home but this time I am so ready! I don't know what people like about this hotel?
Also air con is rubbish unless you stand under it you will be roasting!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank KNF03
Viva h, Gerente at Zafiro Tropic, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Let me start by thanking you for taking time to give us your feedback.
We are constantly trying to improve our service here at Hotels Viva and your comments and queries helps us in this matter.
Due to the occupation it was a shame that we can’t offer to you all the possibilities that our complex has, and you can enjoy your holidays with the room that you are expecting for. According the entertainment, we try to cover all the expectations of our guest and we have a night program with different type of shows daily.
It is very disappointing that your holiday did not meet your expectations and we send our apologies.
We pride ourselves in having very high standards and strive to give our guests a wonderful holiday experience.
We hope in the future to welcome you again in Hotels Viva, and allow us the opportunity to give you the holiday experience you desire.

Best Regards,
Daniel Martorell
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#2 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
#1 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Tropic? Share your experiences!