“fabulous hotel that caters for all” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Tropic & Spa

Viva Tropic & Spa
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“fabulous hotel that caters for all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

,, we stayed april 11, my party consisted of ages of 15 month. 3 years and adults.. the hotel is beautiful, 5 mins to the lovley talcum powder beach,and 5 min walk to port and marina, rooms(we were upgraded to superior at no extra cost re early stay),were immaculate, cleaned 5 days a week, shower has 2 appliances, over head and hand held, beds comfortable, balconies large, plenty of storage, had microwave, 2 hotplates, toaster, and kettle, also had coffee jug. We were all inclusive, which i would recommend, as was fantastic, all drinks were branded,jack daniels, smirnoff,baileys, etc, etc, all cocktails free, as was irish coffees, food was fab, breakfast 8-10am, all cereals, cooked meats, bacon,boiled fried, scrambled eggs, sausages, hash browns, fruit, youghuts,beans, lots of different breads. lunch could be ordered from 12 till 4 from bisro menu, pizza, tapas, soups, sandwiches, children boxes like mcdondald meals with fries and drinks, chicken nuggets, fish bites, pastas, spag bol, lasagne, kebabs, salads, dinner 6-8 30 pm was every thing from steaks cooked at your request at carvery, stir fries, fishes, pastas,salad, curries, puddings, rices, cakes, gateux,, ice creams, mousse, fondant cakes, flans.
Staff were lovley warm and friendly, lovley with children, entertainment, childrens club every nite, 8- 8 45, all children aged 1- 10 enjoyed, adult entertainment had not really started till later in april.
Hotel has 4 pools, childrens pool was fab, very safe, and child friendly, play area very good, one pool for adults only had double beds all around to relax on around pool, large complex pool was lovley and plenty of space, then had indoor spa pool, hotel has free bikes for hire, with childrens seats on.
T he complex is large with grassed. areas for games, and pool areas, but the hotel retains a chic feeling even though large
adults can have go at pistol and rifle target shooting.
if you have child ( we found out on last day) there is buggies in luggage room to use when needed, also wheel chairs.
the hotel has its own supermarket, open from 8, sells newspapers, and other bits and bobs, gym was mainly cardio, also has jaccuzis, sauna, and steam room.
All in all fabulous hotel, and once again all inclusive recommended, Elaine Middlesbrough

4 Thank elainebrettle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

After staying at this hotel last year I couldn't wait to book again fo this April, It was even better than I remembered, facilities, location, staff all fantastic the rooms had also been done to a high stanadard, stunning bathroom and shower and that was just a studio which comfortably slept myself my husband and a travel cot for my infant. I really can't rate this hotel highly enough, I have stayed in other hotels in Alcudia which do not even compare. It is 2 minutes walk to the beach, shops harbour etc which is perfect as not quite so busy as the other end of alcudia where all the all inclusive hotels like bellevue and club mac are, it's a far more laid back elegant atmosphere with the most beautifull scenery and and everything you could possible need would also recommend Aqua restaurant and the end the end of the harbour as the view is breath taking!!!

1 Thank tammynuttall
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

When we arrived at the Tropic it was 11.30pm and we were obviously tired and thirsty as it is a long coach trip from the airport. We weren't offered any refreshments, and was told both thebar and shop was closed. My husband had to go outand walk the streetslooking for an open shop to purchase water. He eventually found a bar who charged him 16euro for a bottle if coke, water and 3 packets of crisps!. Not impressed that in the SC premium apartments they don't even leave you a coutesy bottle of water on arrival.You also had Tobit salt/pepper dishcloths etc nothing was grattias as the say.
I also gad requested a quiet room as I am a light sleeper, and was horrified to find we were put right at the front above the reception on the Road side with passing traffic and coach drop offs all night, Not a good start!.
The Hotel itself decor and cleanliness was very nice and contemperary as past reviews have stated, and although no pool was heated ( including the indoor pool) cosmetically were very nice and my son loved the kids pool even though he had to wear a wet suit to go in.
The next morning I complained to the reception re the noise and the fact I had requested a quiet room. She said I would have to pay to be moved as the quiet rooms are classed as pool view rooms round the other side. I explained that we had already paid for the mist expencive 1 bed premium apartment we could find and she said well that's because you booked through Hotels4U.com with quite a patronising manner, if u want to move you have to pay £10 euro a night extra for the same room around the back, she also said the Hotel is full and that would be our only choice if I wanted quiet. I was fuming but had to pay as I couldn't bare another sleepless night, also when I asked to speak to the Manager she said you don't need to we deal with it on reception, then spoke to someone onthe phone in Spanish!.
When we did move at a cost of 60 Euros it was a nicer view and initially quieter, but unfortunately there us no soundproofing and I had babies crying all night at both sides! If your tall too be warned the beds are twins and very small with thin uncomfortable.
mattresses. The cooking facilities are also not the best there is no ovenjust a two ring electric hob and very small microwave, plus only one ring worked in ours so had to cook in batches.
One of the reasons I booked this hotel apart from the prev good reviews was for the entertainment, but unfortunately the weekday eve entertainment for adultshad not started yetApril and was told it would only be on fri/sat it didn't say that on the website. Monday you after suffering Friday evenings entertainment I don't think we missed much, cringe facter 10.
However disappointing as with a young child we were relying on the entertainment being good.
The resort is lovely and it has a great playground on the beautiful beach, but unfortunately due to the time of the year only half the shops/bars etc were open and there was no entertInment yet in any bars that were open. The restaurants were ok, but I think we just chose the wrong ones, as I found the tappas poor and very expencive to drink and eat out. On the last night we decided to give the Tex Mex a go as it looked the most full, but wished we hadn't it cost. 70 Euros for two adults and 1 Hot dog kids meal. We ordered fahitas and although nice we had to order cream salsa and guacamoli seperate as they brought just a barbecue sauce dip with it! They then charged us an extra 6 Euro to have the salsa etc with the fahitas!!.We also had a jug of sangria which was average. I wouldn't recommend unless you don't mind paying through the nose for a cheap version of chiquittos.
We did find a good British Pub called Sandras for breakfast which was good value, British bacon and sausages and tasty if you don't mind the poor decor.There was also quite a few nice clothes and shoe shops for the ladies to browse and a really good Mango which was reasonably priced, and mist bars show the football for the gentlemen.
Overall it was a nice place, but could have been great with nicer staff on reception a customer care course maybe! better Hotel policies, not telling the guests it's full when the Hotel clearly isn't! and a few courtesies like water in your room upon arrival might be nice. and at least the indoor pool should be heated.
Oh and update your entertainment pretty poor for a 4star Hotel seen much better in a 3 star.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a pool room go to viva website
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank muddie
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here at the beginning of April. We weren't expecting much as we had paid a seriously low amount so were amazed when we arrived and found the hotel to be amazing!
Our room was a decent size and very clean. It had a balcony and kitchenette with lots of things already provided like washing up liquid and loads of utensils. We cooked meals most nights and saved alot of money this way. Don't bother with all the really expensive Spar's that are around the hotel - walk about 5 mins south down the main road and you will come to a local supermarket with a huge range of cheap food.
The bathroom was really nice and clean with a fantastic waterfall type shower, again, the hotel were thoughtful by providing a huge bottle of shower gel and all the usual goodies....
Negatives about the room were that the walls are very thin so you can hear everything around and about and the tv only had 2 english speaking tv channels (BBC world news and CNN (I think!) which is ok for a couple of days but then starts to grate a little....We also couldn't get Wi-fi in the room but it is readily available and free in the lounge/reception area.
The hotel's facilities are great - the main pool looked fantastic and we spent a couple of days lounging round the over 18's pool which was a haven of relaxation and quietness. We had a dip in the pool but it was still a bit too cold for a proper swim!
The indoor pool is really nice and the gym is well equipped. The air-con in the gym never seemed to be working when I went in and when I asked, reception said the air-con would be put on when it gets a bit hotter and the heating can be switched off in the hotel. I was roasting as it was over 20c but overcame this by either using the gym first thing in the morning or after 6pm in the evening when the temperature was copable.
The staff are really friendly and helpful. We met 3 receptionists during our stay - a gentleman called Toni, a young lady with glasses and a dark haired gentleman and we found them all keen to go out of their way to help us and provide loads of helpful information on markets, car hire etc....
We didn't have breakfast, lunch or dinner included during the stay so cannot comment on these.
There were lots of activities for children and I suspect in the height of the season, this place is absolutely brilliant for families though I would recommend couples going in the shoulder seasons when the hotel is quiet and very good value but with still lovely sunbathing temepratures outside.
We would recommend hiring a couple of bikes for the day (you can do this from the hotel) and bike down to the nature reserve (Parc Natural de S'Albufera) which is gorgeous, peaceful and only about 20 minutes bike ride away. Also, hire a car for the day and visit the northern villages like Soller, Port Soller and the beautiful gardens of Alfabia but don't bother with Sa Calobra - the drive down is bordering on frightening and then when you get there it is a tourist trap and a bit of a disappointment.
Really do recommend this hotel - it is so lovely :)
Another lovely after-thought - it was my birthday whilst I was away and on the morning there was a bottle of wine, 2 glasses and a happy birthday nore from the hotel waiting for me outside the door - its the little things that really do make the difference :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Love_animals66
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

Have just returned from a one week trip with a daughter who is 13 and one who is 15. We arrived at just past midnight. We had booked 2 standard rooms and had requested that they were side by side which apparently wasnt possible. We were on 5th floor at the end of a very very long corridor. Our rooms faced onto the road and the view was pretty dismal of waste land & parked cars. Our room was 1546 and our balcony was right on the far end and was smaller than the one our daughters had who were a few rooms away. Whilst the room was clean and very modern in its decor, it was very small. I was very glad indeed that the 4 of us were not sharing a room. This room was very dark (even during the day with the curtains open and sun shining) and felt somewhat oppressive. I certainly did not want to stay there and would not have wanted to have spent anytime on the balcony. We also soon discovered that our room was right next door to the service lift and, everytime it was used, make a huge racket. Once the chambermaids started working at approx 8am, there was no chance of any sleep at all as they were up and down constantly. The sound proofing between rooms is non-existent.

After a couple of days we upgraded to a "royal" room. This cost an extra 300 euros for 5 nights. The room itself was the same size but we had a very large balcony overlooking the pool and our own jacuzzi. It was a vast improvement but should have been considering the extra we had to pay on top of the £400 or so we'd already paid for the original room and, we were only bed & breakfast. The only downside was that the balcony was completely overlooked by all the balconies above and around it. I understand that, in summertime, an awning is put up to give more privacy but they hadn't been put in place yet when we were there. The bathrooms were lovely. Fantastic modern walk in showers with marble walls. The powershowers were excellent too.

The location isin't fantastic. It was up a side-street and further away from the beach than I'd anticipated. I think anyone with younger kids and inflatables and buckets and spades would find it a bit of a trek. Once on the beach though, it was lovely. The sea is perfect for very little ones as its very shallow with no waves as you're in an islet. If you want "proper" sea with waves etc then its just a shortish walk further round the bay. There are lots of lovely seafront restaurants overlooking the beach and the port. We found them good quality but very expensive in light of the poor euro exchange.

Another disappointing thing was the adult only pool. Its called the "relax" area which is a joke as, right next door on one side is the kids pool, directly behind are the tennis courts (when people aren't playing tennis they use the area for outdoor kids-club games) and to the other side is the laundry room. This is a beautiful area to look at but don't bother sitting round this pool unless you are capable of relaxing whilst listening to screaming kids, thudding tennis or footballs and washing machines on the spin cycle! The kids pool itself though is great for younger kids with slides and all sorts for them to enjoy. Just wish is wasn't right next door to the adult part. The main pool is OK too with plenty of loungers. Water was freezing when we were there! The staff were polite and the hotel spotlessly clean. The breakfast buffets were very good too with everything you could want and more.

On the whole though, considering that we'd paid roughly £1,200 for 2 rooms (after upgrade & not including flights), bed and breakfast, I was disappointed. I did not feel that I had good value for money. It is a shame because the hotel does have good points; its just that, for me, the bad points outweighed them.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jenny186273
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

Just back from a week in Viva Tropic which was absolutely wonderful. We booked what we thought was a cheap and cheerful apartment break only to find ourselves in a really nice four star hotel with excellent facilities - our favourites were the indoor spa pool and the kids pirate ship. We were made to feel very welcome by staff particularly Mally the entertainments manager who took us on a trip to the market in the old town of Alcudia and ran a host of kids activities including mini disco and face painting even though it was very early in the season. Loads of nice touches from the hotel, for example for a 10 euro refundable deposit you get beach towels for the duration of the trip so no need to push your Ryanair luggage limit and a decent courtesy room with free towels if you are leaving after check out time. Table tennis bats and golf clubs for the mini golf were also free. The resort itself was delightful (and very different to the main part of Alcudia) with beautiful beachfront restaurants and bars. The beach itself was just gorgeous. We were self catering and would heartily recommend the nearby S'Alhambra restaurant, great value for money and incredible authentic Spanish food. We were worried that the weather wouldn't be good but it was glorious and we were in the outdoor pools every day. Just had the best holiday and can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Go to the old town it is fab!
2 Thank Fergusonfamily059
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

just home from a week in the viva tropic hotel, we(myself, husband&7month old son) stayed on a b&b basis.found all the hotel staff very helpful and friendly, esp the waiters who are all brilliant with children.the childrens entertainer Mila is excellent also.breakfast every morning was lovely with a terrific selection for all tastes.location of hotel is also great, my husband is a keen cyclist and he hired a road bike for the week from a shop highly recommended by the hotel.the hotel provides a secure holding room for all the bikes.the spa in otel is open from 9am to 9pm and there is also a gorgeous adults only pool area with balineese sun beds!kids splash pool is fantastic and there is also a lovley little playground.all in all id recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying here again in future

2 Thank dublinshelley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Viva Sunrise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Alcudia Garden Aparthotel
Alcudia Garden Aparthotel
#18 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Viva Tropic & Spa? Share your experiences!