“Needs some money spending on it.”
Review of Platja d'Or

Platja d'Or
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
nottingham
“Needs some money spending on it.”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just returned, this was our third time. The price was right! The Hotel looks a bit under the weather we had hoped it would have been brightened up a bit. There is a water feature at the back of the Hotel, well a stagnant pond, it must harbor a multitude of insects especially mosquitoes most people we spoke to had been bitten.
The rooms are adequate but small, the beds were OK but creaked every time you moved, well next doors did. All areas were keep clean. The toilets in the communal area were very small if you bent down to wipe your bum you banged your head on the door, just a personal thing maybe I'm to tall.
I admit the Hotel was mainly full of older people but that's why they keep going back, no KIDS.
The Bar staff are excellent, fast and efficient, I found Hector a bit abrupt at times but you'll always get one.
The evening entertainment was usually very good, mostly tribute bands. Elvis was an acquired taste, you'd only go back to see him again if you didn't believe it the first time. The Jersey Boys, a tribute to Frankie Valli were brilliant. As for the entertainment team Maria and James who ran the daytime activities with hardly any equipment (No investment from the owner, just keep raking in the profits) they were the highlight of the holiday, thank you both, XX.
The food was adequate, but repetitive, there were theme nights, Mexican, Chinese, Indian. A bit more work on the curries needed. The restaurant staff very good.
Reception area and staff nothing was to much trouble.
The location of the Hotel, shops in walking distance left and right or by bus if preferred. The beach straight out of the door 1 minute away and what a beach miles of it, soft warm sand cleaned every day, shallow sea for 100 yards. Even my wife was tempted to have a paddle.

Room Tip: The Hotel is only 4 floors, the beach side is quieter but low rooms obscured by trees. The road side...
2 Thank edward272

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is our 3rd holiday at the Platja D'Or. It was, once again, a relaxing holiday. The hotel don't accept children under 16 so no noisy kids!!
The reception staff are very helpful - nothing too much trouble. The rooms are pretty basic but clean and comfortable. The Thomsons reps are very informative and always willing to help.
The pool area has plenty of sun beds. No need to "bag" a sunbed before 8.00 a.m.!!
On the down side, the food could do with been a bit hotter. You help yourself to wine, beer and soft drinks.
The hotel must be doing something right as we saw a few couples that were there the same time as us last year.
Looking forward to our 4th visit.

Room Tip: We had room 255. Second floor overlooking the pool. Gets the afternoon sun.
3 Thank Carole M
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

just got back 17/10/2013 had one week at hotel very good food ,staff were very helpfull cannot fault it 2 miniutes from beach,you can get a bus or taxi to alcudia in not you can walk on the beach there are free planket trips from hotel a day out it returns via palma,i will be going back,

3 Thank heian j
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our third time and have already booked for next year. Reception staff extremely helpful particularly Andreu) and the restaurant manager , Raphael very attentive and couldn't do enough for us. The food was excellent, particularly the themed nights (Mexican was the best!) The entertainment team, Maria and Mr Tumble very good, the highlight of the holiday was their version of Mr and Mrs. Our jaws ached for days. The daily quizzes were very popular and got all the guests talking. We had a room overlooking the beach and it was large and roomy. and cleaned daily to a high standard. My only criticism was the pool was so cold few people braved it which was a shame. The lifeguard had nothing to do! Luckily the sea was warm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam T
Cardiff
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Recently returned from Platja d'Or, I have to admit I had I had my reservations when I booked the hotel mainly through some of the recents posts. The beds are hard which Mary loved, I found them OK, the hotel caters for adults only and I do mean adults.Do not expect any 18-30s here you will be disappointed it's more 50-80s and we found that much more to our liking.
If you leave the hotel you can walk either way where you will find many bars and shops to visit within 10-15 minutes, just across the road at the front of the building you will find a great beach and a pleasant walk will get you to the outskirts of the shopping centre.If you want to really make the effort you can easily walk on further to the Port where it's a bit busier. We found a great place to watch the world go by, Los Palmarotis or something like that, it was just up the road from the first set of lights as you enter the centre on the left, sadly its not advertised on near restaurants so I can't give you better information.
Taxi's are at a fixed rate and buses seem to run regularly either way if you can handle the squash.
Right, back to the Hotel, bar service, I have never been so impressed with a team in my life, they can clear the que in minutes. As previously stated I'm a veggy and I found the selection in the restaurant more than exceptable, Mary did not complain once about the food either. We made some really good friends while we sat quietly around the tables chatting, exchanging stories and taking it easy without the bother of screaming children or stressed out parents. Oh the peace of it all.
Entertainment was fine in the evening and Maria does her best to get everyone involved during the day in games and quizes.
Don't expect the Hilton, it's a Hotel that does exactly what it says on the tin.These are my thoughts and if they don't meet with anybody elses then we have different expectations. That's all.
Best wishes to Doug,Lou,Vin,Jen, David,Jo,Pat and all the other people we met. Chico, Mary and Lil Man. Have a good life.
Ps: Yes I would go back.

Room Tip: Who stays in their room when their a bar downstairs ?
2 Thank Chico58
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just got back. 16/10/13, after two weeks, This Hotel used to be great, But now it has gone down, It needs a complete renovation, Lets face it the majority of its clientele come hear for the beach its fantastic, and it has easy access, We have stayed at this hotel 5 times over a 15 year time scale and noticed it go down, lets hope it gets the renovations it deserves, and maybe it will get the return factor, Bedrooms, hard beds, and furniture dated and worn out, Food, cold and repetitive, Bar & drinks good, entertainment, 1 good artist, the rest the least said the better, location, for the beach great, Ooh that beach. swimming pool very cold, go in the sea its like a warm bath, I will be back but only if the hotel gets its renovations, please let me know. also its for the over 50s and all English,

Room Tip: Try to get one at the front facing the beach,
1 Thank jab2010_11
Wisbech
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week at this hotel. The good points, the weather was fantastic for the whole week, the bar staff provided a brilliant service.
Now to the bad points of which there are many, the beds are like blocks of concrete and the rooms very small. Surprised to see carpets but these are badly in need of a clean. The entertainment was brilliant on two nights Bee Gees Tribute fantastic and the Abba Tribute very good, but Elvis was terrible, he needs to know that he needs to actually sing and sound a little bit like Elvis not just dress up like him. Now to the worst points the restaurant, this was absolutely awful, the food was bland and tasteless and the presentation was appalling. Some of the desserts consisted of slabs of different coloured jelly with orange slices on the top and then hundres and thousands sprinkled over, it looked as though a 5 year old had made them.
Big dishes of cold rice pudding, big slabs of mousse or a choice of ice cream. The cheese board consisted of two different types of cheese cut in strips and piled up high with a basket of bisuits on the side (just how not to present cheese). During the whole week we never once had a hot meal everything was always luke warm, even the evening we decided to go as soon as the restaurant opened at 6.30 it was still all luke warm. The Restaurant Manager did not really communicate with the guests, one evening I could not eat my main course as it was so cold and I advised the waitress of this - I then saw that she had obviously told the Restaurant Manger, but he did not come anywhere near our table.
We have stayed in many hotels in various resorts and I can honestly say that this hotel has served the worst food. Hotel Manager please note that people "eat first with their eyes" and what was on display was poor, very poor. I also noticed tip jars on the desk which I have never witnessed abroad before, well needess to say I didn't put anything in the tip jar, but I do have a tip IMPROVE YOUR CHOICE AND PRESENTATION OF FOOD AND ALSO SERVE IT HOT!!!
Would not revisit or recommend this hotel to anyone

1 Thank Faith C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
Hotel Astoria Playa Only Adults
Hotel Apartamentos Ivory Playa
Hotel Apartamentos Ivory Playa
#3 of 49 in Port d'Alcudia
Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel

Been to Platja d'Or? Share your experiences!